Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Spot on, there really is no comparison between west and east. I was in West of Scotland last week for a few days and no word of a lie stepping off the plane in Dublin was like landing in the Canaries in comparison. The 2-4 degrees higher temps we get in the east/south and markedly less rain makes a big difference.

To the posters who's moods are being affected by the moaning on a forum thread, that probably says as much about ye as anything 🙃

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A cloudy day again in Meath, but it's very warm considering the lack of sun, currently 22C.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fabulous morning and early afternoon in Galway city, wall of clouds on all four sides but remaining clear in the city somehow, great warm sunshine with a slight breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Niall145

Honestly I don't think it's much better on the East coast/Dublin, a lot drier for sure but almost every day is just this sh*tty wall to wall cloud (even this upcoming warm spell now looks largely cloudy) blocking out all that beautiful summer sun, think we had about one proper sunny day in the whole of June lol. Hoping to get a decent beach day this Sunday at least (first one of this crap summer).

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Pleased to report sun is coming and going in West Mayo, apparently only 15 or 16 but feels much warmer 😎😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yep and the water temperature is now 16.8C. Toasty, cant wait!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Haven't seen the sun in several weeks here in kerry. Who stole it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Got back to Dublin an hour ago. Cloudy and mild, no sign of the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Did they cancel the nice weather in Dublin or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Absolute cracker in East Cork. Clouds burnt off around lunch time and it's constant sunshine now, car is reading 23 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Beautiful day in Wexford, wall to wall sunshine since about 11am and lovely temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Aand its back to heavy cloud again, sunshine lasted an hour or so, it was nice while it lasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The weather in the East around Dublin is infinitely better than the west. I live in Dublin but spend huge amounts of time in the West of Ireland and North West in particular, there are huge differences in my opinion. Even friends of mine who moved a number of years ago from Cork and Galway to Dublin often comment on how much better the weather is. Dublin gets literally half the rainfall that most of the west coast gets and in some parts of the west they statistically get more than double the rainfall. While Dublin is no mediterranean, it is much drier and for me that is the main thing. I would agree we dont get as much sunshine as I would like but dry weather counts for a lot. Once I can get out and about I am happy enough without the heavens opening up constantly. On my trips to the west, you nearly always get hammered with rain. On the flip side the west of Ireland is so spectacular and when you do get a good stretch of weather, there are few places I would rather be.

Overall though you just have to look at the rainfall stats, Dublin averages about 700mm per year (actually got less than 700mm last year) whereas from Cork to Donegal, it can range from anywhere around 1,200mm to 2,000mm per year. I just cant stand the consistent rain. Even in June just gone, while it was fairly dull and cloudy throughout and one of the not so nice Junes i can remember, there was only 43mm of rain in Dublin which is in contrast to places like Newport in Mayo with 148mm, nearly 100mm in Cork etc.

Anyway, very nice spell of weather ahead, looking like low to mid 20s for the east and midlands.

22 degrees in Phoenix park at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

The wind has finally dropped (almost flat calm) in South Dublin, this should have a nice positive affect on the standing temperature.

Blanketed in cloud unfortunately but hoping it clears off this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

West has done well today considering East and South mentioned on Met Eireann. 22c in Claremorris up with the hottest days this year so far and sure to be beaten by Monday. 17c in Sligo and 19c in Markree and the sub is shining. Really appreciate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I would argue against it being warm enough for shorts and t shirts in Galway today but lovely skies in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I’ve been in with a wetsuit! Would need it for the sea breeze alone but it was lovely.

Try a swim in the sea & then it’ll feel positively tropical ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd die. I am used to 40 degrees 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Occasionally my work takes me in around south Dublin and there is a difference there in that part of the country. There is a hill on the M7 as you cross the Kildare-Dublin border and it gives one a good view of the skyline over the greater Dublin area. To the south and southeast there is often swathes of blue sky and again out over the sea in this area. Further north and the clouds close in again with the occasional shaft of drizzle or light rain west of the general direction of the airport (most likely out into Meath there).

It's all down to the effect of the Wicklow Mountains that forces cloud to break up. It does have a disadvantage though - often in Tallaght there is a swift breeze blowing and this can take the edge off the partly cloudy/sunny conditions.

Back home on a day like that across S Laois we've less high terrain to make such an impact on the clouds, but we get less breezy conditions usually (until the direction backs SSE to SE).

Another place I've seen this happen is down in Kerry around Tralee during a southerly where Mt Brandon range keeps the Dingle side damp and very overcast whereas the breaks and sunshine develop for a few miles north/northwest of the range taking in Tralee and the wider bay area.

Back at the ranch and it's about 3/8 to 4/8 cloud and warm sunshine in between with temperatures hovering between 21c and 23c.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mount Dillon 24 degrees at 4pm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very little in the way of sun here in Meath, it is brighter than the past few days but all i've seen is a few seconds of sunshine every 10 to 15 minutes. Still 22C. If we had proper sunshine today i'm fairly certaintly we would easily climb to 24 or 25C. Such a shame to see decent uppers going to waste with so much cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sea breeze kicked in earlier and then cloud rolled in around midday, dropping temps to a still decent 18C and the breezes seems to have cancelled each-other out now and temps back up to around 21C. Almost feels strange to have no wind outside.

All in all a grand day.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

My warmest day so far N Tipp

23.9C at 17:16

Heavy cloud at the moment and has dropped back to 22.9

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

23c in Carrick now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Super evening in North Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

14C with misty drizzle all day again in Donegal, at least the sky is a lighter shade of grey today so not quite as depressing

Since 5.15pm the clouds melted away here at Dunshaughlin and some glorious warm sunshine at last over the past hour and a half. Temperatures here 23C, probably closer to 24C. Just back after my walk and now I feel I need a shower, very sweaty weather to be walking or doing any sort of gardening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭sporina

savage day here in Cork - Sun and blue skies.. too hot for me but not complaining - better than rain and good for people in general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭US3

Glorious in Limerick since about 3pm as well. Still around 21° in my back garden in shade

Advertisement