Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunsink Lane - present and future

• 07-07-2022 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any plans for Dunsink Lane and surrounding area?

Talk in the media of possible housing developments - Dunsink site could be used for thousands of homes | Business Post

The Halting sites could be an issue, but ultimately could be paid enough to relocate, the cost of which could pale in relation to decontaminating a recently closed dump. Plus all the illegal dumping that went on after.

With so much building going on in Dublin 15 already, it seems like an ideal place for a park and also greenways: The Hamilton Greenway – DIAS Dunsink Observatory

The Lane itself is now blocked in the middle. Its just about passable on foot, but the Finglas end still contains a fair bit of debris and the halting sites, and looks very uninviting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There was an older dump before Dunsink in Tolka Valley. Can't find link to the old photos now. All links to it seem to have vanished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

Looks like what was the Tolka Valley Dump is now the Tolka Valley Park. Maybe Dunsink could be a future park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Was Fairview Park not also a literal dump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Personally I think the housing plan is barking mad. Would you buy/want to live in a house on a former dump?

There's some lobbying to reopen the laneway but I can't see that going down too well with the people of Castleknock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Treppen

If it's going to be dug up I might go down and look for that moon rock they chucked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Yes, but that stopped over 100 years ago, as far as I can see. More recent ones are Balleally near Lusk (closed 2012). And Ballyogan near Carrickmines on the southside - being turned into a park. Barnageeragh Landfil, Skerries. Ringsend (D4) going for decades, was closed in 1978 - the Irish bottle site and some of the corporation house are built over it. Part of it is a park too.

Bohernabreena had a dump beside the Dodder. thats seems to be part of a park now thats connected to the reservoir walk.

Waterstown Park near Palmerstown, beside the Liffey was a dump too: RTÉ Archives | Environment | Liffey Valley Dump (rte.ie)

What the main criteria for Dublin dumps? It would appear (a) No-one living on the spot, and (b) access to a river or the sea? :)

So there could be hope for a park in Dunsink eventually.

I think it's mad. I wouldn't want to live on a former landfill either.

Don't see how opening it effects Castleknock. Already a bottleneck at the holiday inn with traffic. I avoid that junction at all possible.

It's the people who would have easier access to Castleknock via Dunsink lane that would be their concern.

I don't get it. Castleknock is beside a motorway. Access isn't a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

The Amish have a lot to answer for.

I thought he was worried about astrologers up to no good at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Serious sleight of hand when they closed this road back in the day, they blocked it on the Finglas side initially, and quickly acquiesced to the 'Open Raod' protest and shifted the barriers across to the Castleknock side, gotta wonder if this was always the desired outcome.

Serious malignant imagination in your part inferring some grand conspiracy.

It was closed because of the illegal dumping after dunsink closed. They closed the Finglas end. Which caused protests because the residents wanted access to Finglas not Castleknock. So as a compromise they moved the barrier to give access to Finglas.

It was meant to be temporary.

What your suggesting makes no sense it's only a short diversion around to the River Road or Ratoath Road giving you the same access. The only thing barriers on Dunsink lane does is close the lane.

Anyone had a wander around there recently, e.g. walked the full lane or across the fields?.

some guy on a cycling thread carried his bike past the barriers, and completed the journey. As long as I can recall driving on the m50, There seems to be horses grazing on the fields, presumably belong to the halting sites. If it was a park, you could put in a raised viewing point at the top of the hill, good views over the city and suburbs.

There a decent view from Elm Green Golf Course. Park sounds like a good idea. I assume that land will be settling for decades. Not to mention any toxicity that could be there from the landfill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭ozmo

Fairview park was reclaimed from sea - dumping all the old georgean houses of from 1916 rising there I believe - might be historical finds if dug up one day.

The big area that was the the old IGB bottle house factory - that was a 1960/70's dump - building on that too now - its currently being washed away into the sea causing pollution link...

Malahide marina village was built on dumped rubbish too I believe - it worked out ok for them - after some worry they didnt leave it to settle long enough.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement