Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your top ten worst weeds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I learned to love ivy. I think it's wildlife friendly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Have a look at this about 'ivy desert.' It was a plague in the PNW; there was a group called the "No Ivy League" who removed it as part of forest restoration. Now, the difference there, is it took over tall trees and pulled them down. Not so many of those in Ireland.

Nothing lived under it. No insects, worms, nothing. I know people like it growing on the walls of their homes, but eventually it pulls those down, too and does give things you want (hello, mice) a nice ropeladder for climbing in.

Vile stuff, we don't have it here so I didn't add it to my least favorite weeds list but it'd have been near the top if we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

It is definitely wild life friendly and I can hear the flowers humming with pollinator insects when it is in bloom at the end of the summer. Also I have read the fruit are important winter food for many types of bird. I understand the problem it may be in places where it is not a native species but it is native to Ireland and an important part of the woodland and other ecosystems here. I still pull it out of flower beds and cut it back in places as it is very vigorous and will out compete other garden plants.

Happy gardening!

Post edited by macraignil on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭mojesius

Willowherb, gorse, scarlet pimpernel, thistles. Some day, the willowherb will devour us all here, it's bloody everywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Redhenrun

Yep, blackberry. And bindweed/convolvulus.

But there has to be a special place in hell for ivy.

Can Japanese knotweed possibly be worse than ivy? It’s everywhere. Significant ground cover in a variety & amount of woodlands. Busy digging roots into ancient stonework & also choking the life, shape and beauty of trees and hedgerows. Plus, pretty tough to get rid of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a front boundary wall which was originally a country stone wall against a bank. It has to be demolished and rebuilt as it is now a heap of stones that meanders across the front absolutely infested with ivy, with the occasional very substantial lonicera nitida bush well established and every other kind of bramble and weed growing out of it. A very skilled local stone wall builder has agreed to rebuild it but I will dismantle it. Its going to be some job! Meanwhile I have ordered a few traffic cones to hopefully give a bit of protection from the passing traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'd forgotten Lonicera nitida as a weed. Its not really but I've seen plenty of it growing out in the country as a result of that lazy Irish hedge cutting technique of leaving the cuttings where they lay and not clearing up.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭delboythedub

Blackberries are breaking my heart, a neighbours garden is totally overrunning with them. Both myself and neighbour on other side are finding it a constant battle to control them. I have a small hand shears inside my front door in case these thorns extend over my boundary and on to the footpath outside my house. Any advice very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭kg703

Anyone got any good tips for weeding? I have my first garden the last couple of years and I struggle every summer with mass infestations. We have flower beds and when we moved in got all the bushes and everything ripped up - we are planning to pave all the flower beds when we have saved up enough! Until then I am stuck with these weed infested beds. There are just too many to pull up and loads of nettles. I strim them to death, pull up what I can and weed killer the rest but they dont budge. Even with the super weed killer.

Any good tools anyone can recommend for me to buy to be able to pull up large quantities at a time? That wont break my back :(

Goodness that's a very sad post. Yes weeds invade. Plant shrubs (except you have pulled yours up) then thickly mulch under them. Pull the few weeds that do come through as they come and re-mulch in 12 months. Eventually the shrubs will get big enough to shade out most of the weeds and all you will need is a bit of regular maintenance.

Using glycophosphate (super weed-killer) out of season or on closely strimmed growth is pointless. You need to understand how it works. Nettles are one of the easiest weeds to pull up, and are a sign that you have good, fertile soil.

Trying to maintain bare earth is a bit of a pointless battle. In the end you will have to pave or concrete but that is hardly a topic for a gardening forum. Do be careful you don't set yourself up for a flooded yard.

• Advertisement

Wrt blackberries, you need to cut them down to the ground and dig out the root ball. If you leave branches on the ground long enough they'll root.

If you keep them cut down to the ground without digging them out, after a few years they do eventually die off. This takes vigilance over 4-5 years in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CaboRoig

I hate bindweed. Mares tails too and (self inflicted) mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭StevenToast

1. Ragwort

2. Ragweed

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Tutsan is next on the list to reduce the amount in the garden, seems to spread a lot, so need to stop it from getting too far and becoming an issue.

That's interesting, I didn't know it had a common name, I always know it as hypericum. We have quite a bit of it but I don't mind it too much, some gets pulled up but some is allowed to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Ground elder, and we also have part of the garden with bindweed. Its impressive stuff - the sheer biomass and how fast it grows.

I would also add bamboo to the list. Rotten stuff. Dug up a few bushes last year and am down with the pick every time I see one of the little buggers popping up. Persistance is key.

Yes, that's Equisetum telmateia alright, the ivory internode are diagnostic

Its quite a magnificent plant, shame its takes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ha! I have GIANT WEEDS!!! Winner winner chicken dinner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no weedy weeds for you!

No contest with the %&*^&^&$ Giant Hogweed my wife insists on growing every year. I thought I'd got all the seeds last year and surreptitiously binned them (double black bagged) but ONE seedling has come up again and unfortunately she'll know its me if a bit of Roundup ends up going its way.

Explaining its illegal to propagate it cuts no ice :-(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

she grows giant hogweed? madness.

Me chasing around cutting it down as the seeds start to mature adds to the madness but it is a magnificent looking plant. I only allow it confined to an area of the drive where it can't easily escape from and can be mopped up with glyphosate if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

My mothers place has hogweed, hemlock and elder flowers in the hedges and they all look similar. There was elder flower wine made a few days ago, not a fear I'll chance it

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Chives are spreading out of control in my veg beds and on to the paths, will have to take measures to get rid of them before I plant crops again after a few years of no planting.

A friend used to cultivate (carefully) elderflower in his yard and harvest the berries. They made delicious pie and jam. Herself wasn't fond of it so we're not cultivating it here but a neighbor does gather them from time to time from somewhere and makes what I think is a very tasty cordial which is great mixed with sparkling water.

One man's weed...

Elderflower cordial is lovely, my favourite for a flavoured drink. You would really have to be not paying attention though to mix up elderflower with hemlock or hogweed!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

1) Ragworth

2) Himalayan Balsam

3) Rhododendrons

4) Docks

5) Bracken

1, 2, 3 Kill with extreme hate :)

Rhododendrons as weeds is a new one. Yes, exotic invasive. Spectacular plants though and not the fastest growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Rhododendrons are a menace when allowed go out of control. Glad I can't grow them on my very limey soil. Laurel will soon be added to that list as it is being planted in all the wrong places where a native hedge would be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

They are weeds in boggy soil in Connemara. :D but i hear ya :D

Advertisement