Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Girl in the Picture (2022) A true-crime documentary directed by Skye Borgman, who helmed the award-winning “Abducted in Plain Sight.” Videos. In this documentary, a woman found dying by a road leaves behind a son, a man claiming to be her husband -- and a mystery that unfolds like a nightmare..

King of Stonks Season 1 (2022)(German) Desperate for startup stardom, an overly-ambitious finance mastermind lies, cheats and schemes his less-than-authentic company up the ladder to success

Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between (2022) Clare and Aidan make a pact to break up before college -- no regrets, no broken hearts. But will one epic goodbye date offer them a last chance at love?.

Viceroy's House (2017) As viceroy Lord Mountbatten arrives in Delhi to oversee a transfer of power from Britain to India in 1947, war looms between religious factions

Control Z Season 3 (2022) (Spanish) When a hacker begins releasing students' secrets to the entire high school, the socially isolated but observant Sofía works to uncover his/her identity.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭kerplun k

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'm trying to like the British hospital drama Bodies but I'm finding it very difficult, 6 episodes in and not one likeable character to relate to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I gave up quickly and I usually don't do that but the show had about as much atmosphere as the moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched it with the kids. After 10min you know how it's going to proceed for the rest of the series

As for it being split into 10 or 12 episodes (sorry I lost count). Apparently this is a ploy by Netflix. Rather than have a feature length show count as 1 view in the algorithm, if someone watches the entire series, it counts as 10 views, and as a result it goes into Netflix Top Ten on their main screen. Clever marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Ah the man vs bee was a grand oul watch for the family with the usual mr bean type slapstick stuff, thought the episodes were far too short though and would have been more enjoyable even 20 minutes long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The Last Castle. Nobody talks about this superb film. James Gandolfini is so good in this he makes Robert Redford look ordinary.

"A castle used to keep people out , this one keeps people in"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Damien360

I thought it was great until the last half hour. It <snip>

Post edited by Sad Professor on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,594 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Any chance of tagging spoilers for shows/movies in here? I always avoid the threads about a show or film after release so I don't catch spoilers, but it's a lot to have to avoid the entire netflix thread for fear of spoilers for any and all of their entire library of content.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

@Damien360 FFS spoiler text your comments. This is a general recommendations thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishHusk

Have to agree. Quite a good film that I never heard off.

VINLAND SAGA Season 1 (2019) (Japanese) After his father is killed, young Thorfinn joins the mercenary band of his murderer Askeladd, waiting for his revenge while Askeladd plots politics.

The Room (2019) (French) Being the only next of kin, a woman receives a sudden call to pick up her late estranged father's belongings.

Added

Dave Chappelle: What's in a Name? (2022) Dave Chappelle delivers a speech at his prestigious alma mater that reflects on his comedy roots, his rise to fame and why artists should never behave..

Also added

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Yeah I don't think I'll be going any further with it.

The Sea Beast (2022) Directed by Chris Williams (Moana, Big Hero Six), and starring Karl Urban, Zaris-Angel Hator, Jared Harris, Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Dan Stevens and Kathy Burke, the film is set in an era when terrifying beasts roamed the seas, monster hunters were celebrated heroes – and none were more beloved than the great Jacob Holland. But when young Maisie Brumble stows away on his fabled ship, he’s saddled with an unexpected ally. Together they embark on an epic journey into uncharted waters and make history.

Dangerous Liaisons (2022) (French) Book smart Célène falls for bad boy Tristan at her new Biarritz high school, unaware she's part of a cruel bet he's made with social media queen Vanessa

Incantation (2022) (Mandarin (Guoyu)) Six years ago, Li Ronan was cursed after breaking a religious taboo. Now, she must protect her daughter from the consequences of her actions.

Jewel (2022) While visiting a massacre memorial, a photographer finds herself drawn to a local woman. But their romance stirs up painful memories of a shared past...

How To Build a Sex Room Season 1 (2022) From a secret rock 'n' roll dungeon to a next-level spa, designer Melanie Rose dreams up erotic renovations for couples in this spicy reality series

Ranveer vs Wild with Bear Grylls (2022) Click through this interactive special, helping superstar Ranveer Singh and adventurer Bear Grylls brave the Serbian wilderness to find a rare flower.

Boo, Bitch Season 1 (2022) Two senior BFFs make a last-ditch attempt to be seen. But when one of them becomes a ghost, she'll need to really live her best life -- while she can

The Longest Night Season 1 (2022) (Spanish) Armed forces surround a psychiatric prison in order to abduct an incarcerated serial killer -- but aren't prepared for the battle that ensues...

Prophetess (2021) After a bogus prediction about a football match comes true, a small-town prophetess finds herself entangled in the world of sports betting.

Capitani Season 2 (2019) (Luxembourg) In a Luxembourg village where everyone is keeping secrets, gruff police inspector Luc Capitani investigates the suspicious death of a 15-year-old girl..

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

Look really good. All I can hear when the captain speaks:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

The wife watched the whole thing and I dipped i now and then

Keith Allens character was good for a few laughs but overall the toxic workplace scenarios got me mad.

Easy to see that they had to wrap up the loose endings in the "special" as series 3 was not given the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Interesting and increasingly scientifically-tested subject-matter. Never heard of him, so duckduckgo'd him. Turns out I've heard about but not watched a lot of his stuff. Think I'll start watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,594 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That doesn't mention "Zero Days", which is really excellent too.

Also doesn't mention his Steve Jobs one, but that was more of a rehash of more widely known information, so a lot less interesting than his others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Caquas

Viceroy's House is Downton on the Ganges, lots of eye-candy and downstairs passion but full of fake history.

Mountbatten gets sympathetic treatment (Hugh Bonneville, of course) and is absolved of all responsibility for the terrible violence (whatever happened to “the buck stops here”?). Incredibly, his wife's love affair with Nehru is not mentioned (BBC Films! Imagine explaining to a Hollywood producer that their movie would overlook that juiciest of angles!)

Somehow, Churchill gets the blame for partition although he is not in power. Churchill certainly deserves severe condemnation for the dreadful famine in Bengal but not for some weird theory about keeping Stalin out of Karachi.

Jinnah is the “bad native”, in contrast to the heroic Nehru (Cambridge civilised him!)

Watchable if you don’t mind the manipulation.

Trapped (2008) In 1972, a man returns to a changed Ireland after years at sea. Hoping to fight for his country, he embarks on a violent path with no way back.

Lighthouse Lesvos (2016) This documentary spotlights the volunteers who come to the island of Lesbos to help the refugees, mostly from Syria, who wash up on its rocky shores.

Melting Point (2018) This documentary examines the consequences of global warming, including an unprecedented heat wave in Europe and a glacier cracking in Antarctica..

Added

Netflix rolls out Sennheiser's Ambeo spatial audio technology to everyone

Netflix is partnering with Sennheiser to offer a new spatial audio experience that works on all devices.

Thanks to Sennheiser's technology, Netflix content with stereo audio will be enhanced with this new immersive surround sound. Sennheiser said the experience is compatible with all devices, and on all Netflix streaming plans. It does not require surround sound speakers or home theatre equipment. The tech, called Ambeo 2-Channel Spatial Audio, works on standard stereo speakers.

Sennheiser said Ambeo aims to deliver "an improved audio experience wherever stereo is delivered today, be it standard TV sets, stereo systems, headphones, tablets or laptops". A number of Sennheiser's partners have worked with the company to offer Ambeo, including Netflix. In fact, the first title to use Ambeo is season four of Stranger Things.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/netgear/161792-netflix-rolls-out-sennheiser-s-ambeo-spatial-audio-technology-to-everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

Girl In The Picture is good. Pretty messed up but very gripping true crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pirate Gold of Adak Island

Watched this last night, it's a complete ball of sheite unless you like hearing the words 'frickin' and 'brutha' said about 700 times. It's 8x30 min episodes, the entire outcome of the search for the gold seems staged, you would get more enjoyment going down to Dollymount Beach with a bucket and spade, doing a dig for 20 minutes. If you just watch episode 8 that's all you need, nobody you chat to about the show will ever have anything more to say than episode 8. Best avoided.

Additionally the filming/lighting on the show is terrible for the outdoor scenes with the light dimming and brightening randomly, at first I thought my tv was on the way out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched The Sea Beast tonight. Very enjoyable. It has a fairly predictable story, I saw a review on Letterboxd that calls it "How To Train Your Moana Of The Caribbean", which is pretty accurate. Visually it's stunning though, the water is animated so incredibly well, and the story makes good use of it. There's lots of battles at sea and the scale of the beasts is never in doubt. The story doesn't have quite as much depth as those other films I mentioned, but it's got a surprisingly modern and relevant "message" threaded through it. I'd definitely recommend it if you've got kids, but it's a decent spectacle for adults too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

So The Curse of Oak Island filmed on Dolymount?

Advertisement