Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

yep very fortunate Gaffney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Feel a bit bad for them now despite the negativity in the first half. Gaffney should have been off but instead he scores the goal to wrap up the tie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Good professional job from Rovers. There was a 10-15 minute period in the second half where it could€ have swung, but Hibernians missed their two big chances and 4overs were comfortable in the end. Gaffney very lucky to stay on. In fairness I think he just kicked out,but having connected wi5h the guy# head he should have been off.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Great result. Ludogorets likely their next opponent and they are definitely beatable looking at their recent European form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rovers were cruising at half time. Once that first goal went in I thought we could win 3 or 4-0. Second half though we switched off for a while and they looked much more threatening with their pace and strength up top. Game levelled out then and obviously Gaffney got the third to seal it. Great result and night in Tallaght.

Ferizaj looked tidy when he came on there despite only playing a few mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Ah ffs Gaffney is getting slaughtered tonight after he was hauled down with a rugby tackle when he was clear through, from my angle he was trying to free his foot and may have caught the Malta player fouling him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Don’t think anyone is really slaughtering him, just recognising that an awful lot of refs would have given him a red. I don’t for a second think he aimed a kick at the guys face, he clearly just kicked out in frustration, having been rugby tackled as you said, but the fact is he connected with the players face and was very lucky to stay on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

It was a stonewall red card. I can only presume that the referee didn't see the kick properly from behind.

Presumably Gaffney is safe from suspension given that the referee "dealt with it" at the time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

What form are you looking at?

I see a side that's made the group stages six years in a row - the CL the first year and the EL the other five. In three of those years they've reached the EL knockout stages.

That's very consistent good form in the qualifying rounds and not someone you could say are "definitely beatable"

• Advertisement

The lino and 4th official were straight in front of the Gaffney incident and obviously didn't tell the ref (who wasn't far away either) that they thought it was a red card.

Ludogorets were held scoreless for 70 minutes last night and got their second goal in injury time, highlights below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwHInOSro18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Was mandroiu trolling rovers last night?, putting an old photo of himself on the beach on Instagram stories in the middle of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Why would he be trolling Rovers when he loves the club, the fans, and his time at the club?

I don’t know, I think he’s deleted the story. Maybe he just put it up in error without thinking or maybe I’m mistaken and it was a story from earlier in the day before the game was on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

You could be onto something, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, personally. I think he likes the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Looking at the Sligo match:

hard to tell if it’s offside or not but it wasn’t a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We've signed Rob Manley from Bray. Happy enough with that, he looks like a prototypical JC player and we needed an alternative up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Which form is this? They've been in the group stages for the past 6 years running (1 CL +5 EL).

Justin Ferizaj looks a great prospect for Rovers, lets hope if they can't hold onto him they get a decent fee like Bazunu and they don't agree some ridiculous release fee.

• Advertisement

It’s a shame zefi is playing for inter Milan u19s instead of still at rovers.

https://www.the42.ie/shamrock-rovers-12-5810628-Jul2022/

TEENAGE STRIKER DARA MCGUINNESS’ move from Shamrock Rovers to Stoke City has been confirmed. 

McGuinness has spent the last three seasons at Rovers’ academy, and twice played at senior level, appearing for the short-lived Shamrock Rovers II side in the First Division in 2020. 

The Mullingar-born forward has been capped at U18 level by Ireland, scoring in a 2-0 win against Hungary last year. 

“Dara has been unbelievable since coming to the Football Club in 2020″, said Rovers’ Academy director Shane Robinson. “His appetite for hard work and his dedication to train and constantly improve has been brilliant to watch. We wish him every success on his move to Stoke and hope to see him continue his development.“

Stoke have confirmed McGuinness will initially link up with their U21 side, competing in Premier League 2, which has been adjusted from an U23s competition.

1-1 Bala Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Sligo 2-1 up in Wales, if Derry win it will be a great week in Europe all round

He’s playing at a lower level now than if he stuck with shamrock rovers, getting no exposure to anything other than playing vs other kids that mostly will drop out of the game. He’s dribbling around them like their training cones. Italian football is weak enough in the bottom half of serie a so the underage versions of these sides would be a very unimpressive standard. Ryan Nolan captained inters under 23s and it meant little to having a career as a senior player

why do you think he’s better off there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They were just too good for us, even before the sending off.

You can pretty much say that about all underage teams of club sides.

Liverpool U21s played sligo rovers in a friendly about 5 years ago. Kelleher came on as a sub for the last few minutes of that game and he's warming the bench at Liverpool and he is undoubtedly the player who has done the best out of the 17 players who played that day. Jerome Sinclaire played a couple of times for the seniors, 25 now and without a club the past year. Alex O'Hanlon is 26 and plays LSL for St. Mochtas after a few years of nothing in the LOI including a stint with Wexford. Both got double digit underage caps for their countries and would have been seen as decent prospects for England and Ireland respectively.

When the senior side can sign a player for £50 million+ in your position, its always an uphill battle. Of course the argument is Inter have far superior coaches and facilities than Shams which is true. For a 17 year old its not a bad place to be. No guarantee though but he does have lots of time on his hands and the fact he's excelling at that level is a good sign.

Tldr; its a tough old game. Being in a youth academy of a massive club gives players an advantage to a certain age but around 19-20 they need to be playing mens football. Robbie Keane often said if he had the opportunity again he would have taken a move to Wolves and played senior football from a young age rather than than the year or 2 he spent milling around the Inter youth/reseve team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Robbie Keane played for wolves for 4 years before he left for Inter so that part of your post makes no sense.

Ya that was me getting a bit foggy on his club situation 20 years ago! A quick wiki shows he left from Coventry to inter and spent a year at Inter. So ya had it completely arse ways! My bad. Now I've thought about he regretted turning down youth football for Liverpool in favour of senior ball at Wolves and having the benefit of their coaching which ties in with my point that youth football at a top club/academy is beneficial to a certain age.

Actually played for wolves, then Coventry and then inter.

• Advertisement

I would see it differently. It’s also best to leave the “lol” nonsense to teenagers (if you aren’t one) and just debate it.

if zefi stayed at rovers he’d be likely playing in front of 500 -8000+ fans in a title chasing team and in European games like Ferizaj is. He’d also be living in the country he has been brought up in the home he lived in his whole life. He’ll also get greater exposure if his performances are good than if they are good with an academy team where no one cares.

he has access to better coaches and facilities at inter. He’ll play against ac Milan under 19s. He’ll also play against ascoli, spal and empoli under 19s

it’s possible he’s in good hands at inter but academy football is just a schooling ground, it’s not real football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The problem many Irish players have had in the past is they get stuck in academy football and can't make the transition to senior football. Look at guys like Conor Masterson, Ryan Cassidy, Glen McAuley, Conor Clifford off the top of my head for example - look great at underage level but then can't make the breakthrough to mens football. But no doubt these guys got a brilliant footballing education at their clubs, but at some point they have to make the step up to mens football.

That is one of the benefits of the LOI route, in the past we have had lads like Kevin Doyle, Seamus Coleman, James McClean etc go over to England with that first team football under their belt and they could hit the ground running (slightly dated examples at this stage). I think in an ideal world, a guy like Ferizaj maybe stays on at Rovers until he is around 19 or 20 and then goes abroad with 50 senior games under his belt and is ready for first team football as opposed to academy. Even though Rovers have a great academy and are producing a lot of good players, because they are expected to win every week the young players probably aren't playing as much as they would at other clubs. Someone said Zefi could be here playing every week for Rovers. I reckon if he was still here he would probably only be playing sporadically.

bazunu had played for rovers in the league and in Europe. He also stayed for a while to pursue his schooling in ashfield college before going to the UK.

zefi…a different scenario.

bazunu did it right and was ready for senior football at a fairly high level and they had a plan to give it to him at rochdale etc. Hopefully it works for zefi but under 17s or under 19s football probably won’t bring him on like the alternative with rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

underage football serves a purpose in that it gives games. Beyond that I think senior football even at a low level like the top of LOI serves a young player better. You obviously disagree and that’s fair enough.

I’d suspect the main reason zefi is in Milan is financial. I didn’t get that feeling with bazunu.

Zefi is a player who’s got a maverick style and there aren’t many of them that exist in modern football. He’ll need to bend that style to meet the requirements of senior professional football. I hope turning fellow academy kids inside out doesn’t make him complacent about the step up required to make his style adapt to senior football.

Young footballer motivated by money, mad stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Just in from United Park. What a game.

I doubt a single Drogheda player woyld get into the Dundalk team but we outfought them all over the pitch. Each player was immense but Deegan, Cowen, Quinn and Markey were superb.

Fair play to Kevin Doherty. We lost our back 5 at the start of the season and then lost two of the new back five two weeks ago.

Recent points at home v Rovers, Dundalk, Derry and Sligo show its no fluke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

As routine a win as you get tonight in Galway. Cobh are absolutely dog rough, all over the shop at the back.

Manley got a half hour on debut and scored and created 3 chances. He already looks like he'll be a big difference maker for us. Alex Murphy got a great send off too in his last appearance before moving to the Toon.

Huge game down in Cork now next Friday. A must not lose for us, if we do then the league is Corks to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Hard to fathom how we lost twice to Harps. Cork and Galway have got to be fancying their chances against them unless Ollie can work some magic on another revival

• Advertisement

Ah lads. That trip to Wales/England was one for the ages. Must have been close to 500 over and yer man from twitter who supports Wrexham showed up too (he goes by the name bootlegger). The away section was rocking for 90 mins and we probably should have won by more than we did. Looked like Nando mishit the ball due to the blinding sun for the goal we conceded (great finish to be fair) but after that we were comfortably the better side throughout and deserved another goal or two. Hopefully we finish the job on Thursday.

Went to Shels/Harps tonight and Harps really are the pits at the minute. Another goal or two wouldn't have been undeserved for Shels. What's the story with the lad from Australia that Harps brought on at the end? He was playing in the A League and the AFC Champions League 2 months ago.

Bala/Rovers highlights are here. Keena's goal was exceptional. Lots of talk about Rory Gaffney being the best forward in the league but Keena isn't far off. Hopefully it's true that we have an option to extend his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Those close away trips are great in Europe! Glad you had a great time and a good victory. Looks like you could have finished the tie in that game. Welsh league poor enough.

Shocking dithering though for your red card.

Post edited by NIMAN on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I would be terrified to some young Irish players may fall victim to nonsensical self motivated sales pitches in LOI circles to turn down a once in a lifetime opportunity for a shot at playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world who also happen to be in much nicer city than Dublin, iconic stadium, better weather, better culture, better money, better education... If it doesn't work out and Zefi, Heffernan etc. are back playing LOI in 10 years time at least they won't lose sleep thinking what if

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

TNS beating Linfield shows where some leagues are...and Crusaders losing to the team who finished fourth in Gibraltar...

An all island league would be very one sided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Highlights of Drogheda v Dundalk game on Drogheda's twitter account.

Worth it to see Stephen O'Donnell's tackle on Gary Deegan at around 2.30 in.

It could have been nasty but, thankfully, no harm done. Strange thing for O'Donnell to do however.

FC Bruno's Magpies - A literal pub team from Gibraltar.

Great name !

Bala/Rovers highlights are here. Keena's goal was exceptional. Lots of talk about Rory Gaffney being the best forward in the league but Keena isn't far off. Hopefully it's true that we have an option to extend his contract.

Brilliant news for us that he has extended until the end of 2024. If he keeps playing the way he has started I don't think he'll be in the LOI that long but at least we'd get a fee.

Is Robbie Keane still under contract

• Advertisement

All looking rather comfortable for Shamrock Rovers in Malta so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement