Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Well seeing as they’d like to reduce the beings formerly known as women to terms such as “chest feeders” or “womb havers” I think it’s relevant to the topic, seeing as many of those TRAs are at some point in their lives blessed with white male privilege and unaccustomed to the marginalization “womb havers” go through from birth. The kind of equality they are advocating for pushes “chest feeders” equality aside again.

On this topic, we are in agreement. I would say that this would be a rare occurrence.

Lets tackle the issue of gender identity before you go on a feminist tangent about "male privilege".

I oppose anyone, regardless of their biological sex or gender identity, who push the validity of the GRA.

Though I don’t remember getting into deep discussion with you about much tbf to deduce that we would normally agree or disagree on topics.

To be honest neither do I.

I just have a feeling we will clash a bit on the privilege stuff but that is a later discussion that I look forward to :)

Honestly it only really bothers me when the trans lobby are trying to impinge on my rights and identity because any privilege I do have is simply not enough for them. Generally I find that the men I come across day to day are for the majority more aligned to my thinking anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

can pregnant Trans men just suck it up for a few months and be mothers ? It’s surely what’s best for the child

@[Deleted User] this is where your understanding of equality falls very short. While there is no biological reason for women to stay at home “after birth”, you seem to conveniently gloss over the rather important birth part.

Gloss over? I didn't refer to it at all....

Women already receive rights/benefits/supports in relation to pregnancy and birth which are not extended to males (naturally enough since males cannot get pregnant and bear a child.) Hence no reason to mention it here, in the context of the previous posts. It's not a matter of equality.

All while being hit with substandard childcare, judgement from peers at work for having baby brain, or sick on her blazer or having her larger than normal lactating breasts stared at, judgment from stay at home moms for going to work in the first place etc etc etc. Men take their 2 weeks of parental leave and are treated as heros and renaissance men for doing so.

Really? Cause I remember many women who went out from work to have kids, staying out much longer than the time for them to give birth/recover, all the while their position is secure, and everyone else in the department was expected to cover her duties. And even after returning, the need to miss work for various health and other reasons, but again, those staying in the office required to cover for her. I also remember the gushing by the female workers over the photos, the stories of the whole process, even the babies being brought into work.. Yeah.. that's so terrible. You see I've worked in two heavily dominated female industries. Finance and Education... so women leaving to have children is fairly common.

However, it's still something unrelated to equality, because men cannot have children in that manner. You want to talk about the issues relating to pregnancy/birth... that's a different topic entirely from what was being discussed previously.

But ya, equality is totally a choice that women make.

Nope. Equality exists here. It's not a choice. How you live your life is a matter of choices made.

Now. I'm leaving this here, because it's not related to the thread. You've sought to shift the goalposts away from the original discussion, and I have little interest following you down this rabbit hole.

I asked this earlier and it was ignored. What rights do men have that women do not have? What protections do men have that women do not have?

Possibly, but I suspect they don't really care. In all honesty, we should have more public discussion about all facets of society, and social norms. The reason that Trans issues have gained so much influence over the last decade is because there hasn't been much public discussion of the issues involved. Basically, the public need to talk more about everything that affects us..

@[Deleted User] , you’re acting like women make the choice to have children all by themselves, and they are somehow at fault for any health problems that arise as a result. I would imagine that some men would also like to be parents and are not fathers solely to appease the little woman- would you agree with this?

I have 2 children, my partner and I decided to have them together and in fact he took the majority of the time off with our first so that I could return to work 13 weeks after giving birth because I’m the higher earner. How does that figure in to your “womb hanging out, photo over sharing, silly new mummy” narrative??

The gap in equality is certainly closing in Ireland but it has not yet closed, in other countries it is narrower and some still wider. Expectations from all sides on women physically are not minimal despite your attempts at minimizing them.

We are quickly getting onto a woman's right to choose to have children. That's DEFINITELY a conversation not related to this.

@Lillyfae @[Deleted User]

So before we go off on a tangent, let's all focus on this topic in hand and the fact that some people (and that GRA) want us to believe that men and women are a choice/interchangeable/a matter of feelings.

@[Deleted User] , you’re acting like women make the choice to have children all by themselves, and they are somehow at fault for any health problems that arise as a result. I would imagine that some men would also like to be parents and are not fathers solely to appease the little woman- would you agree with this?

You're projecting. I said nothing about women's health problems. Nor did I say anything about how/why women have children.

This is why I have no interest continuing this discussion. You keep introducing new elements by shifting the goalposts. This has happened in both posts you've done, without dealing with the points I made earlier. So, you're constantly seeking to expand the discussion.. without accepting anything that went previously.

The gap in equality is certainly closing in Ireland but it has not yet closed, in other countries it is narrower and some still wider. Expectations from all sides on women physically are not minimal despite your attempts at minimizing them.

Except I haven't sought to minimize any such thing. Although considering the vagueness of your statement, it could include anything under the sun.

You're not seeking equality. You're seeking equality with extra benefits, which fits in nicely with what modern feminism is all about.

I see no value in continuing this, especially within this thread. Want to continue this? Start another thread, and I'll join you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

There's a difference between legal equality and a societal bias. Legally, men and women have equality, but in practice, partly due to biological issues (women are the only ones who can become pregnant), and partly due to to a perception that women are going to have a more involved role in raising children (e.g. will leave/take a career break after the arrival of children, will be more likely to take time off to look after a sick child, won't be able/willing to put in long hours when needed) there is a bias against hiring women in the workplace (this is most apparent for women in their late 20s/early 30s). If you ask the people who are hiring, the woman's sex had nothing to do with her not being hired, and they may even honestly believe that it had nothing to do with it.

After having children and attempting to return to work, women find that their time at home raising their children is written off as worthless by interviewers, instead of looking at the skills that have been developed and looking at how they can be transferred to use in employment.

This is before we get to issues like a girl's choice of underwear being used as a defence in a rape trial (Counsel for man acquitted of rape suggested jurors should reflect on underwear worn by teen complainant (irishexaminer.com)). Legally, men and women have equal rights to walk anywhere at night, but in practice, it is much safer for men than women. I know women who have been mugged, followed, raped, groped and had inappropriate comments shouted at them from when they were teenagers. I know very few men who have had anything like that. The only men I know who have been robbed in public, it has been pickpockets or grabbing phones out of their hands. This isn't as much an equality issue, as an observation that men's and women's experiences of life are, in some ways, very different. I think that this point is very relevant to the issue of trans rights, in that gender is a social construct, and is partially generated by experience. I have never experienced life as a woman, so it is very difficult for me to know what it feels like to be a woman, and it is impossible to prove/disprove if one's feelings are actually those of the opposite gender.

I would agree that choices are made that reduce opportunities, but sometimes opportunities are denied on the basis that a choice may be made that would be incompatible with the opportunity.

Jesus. Gender is a social construct and now equality is too.....

There is plenty of mileage in a thread about equality but we can never achieve or even discuss equality between men and women when we cant even decide definitively what a man or a woman is.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

Yes, gender is a social construct and should have no basis in law. The law should be blind in how people are treated. It is although, in my opinion, acceptable for the law to discriminate on sex. There are some issues where biological differences are relevant, and should be legislated for.

Equality has two parts - one is that, legally, everyone is treated the same. We have that. The other part is in what society deems acceptable. I have never been wolf-whistled at. I have never been groped on public transport. But there are sections of society that consider it normal to wolf-whistle at women and to grope women. Look at the furore there was over the Gilette ad that was an "attack on men." Regardless of how equal we make society "legally", if people feel enabled to treat people they don't know so unequally, based on their sex, then society isn't actually equal.

If Johnny wants to chop his bits off and be called Mary, then go ahead, but Mary shouldn't expect the law to treat her any differently, and she should acknowledge that to that point society has seen and treated her as male, and that she cannot expect to actually understand what someone growing up female has experienced. She will also, going forward from that point, not experience life the same as someone born female. No matter how much surgery she has or how well she can do her hair and makeup, there are skeletal differences that effect things as simple as gait that make someone stand out as different. She should still be treated with respect, but shouldn't demand that society pretends she was born in a female body. In the same way as gay, lesbian and bisexual people accept that they are different from the statistical norm, transgender people should embrace that difference instead of demanding that society change its definitions of "normal". Cis- is a tautological prefix, in that its meaning is basically that I am as I appear to be.

TRAs don't want any discussion about differences. They want to muddy the waters, and will never respond to a question as straightforward as "what does it mean to you to be male/female?" (It's not a question that has a wrong answer.) They say that we should treat men and transmen as the same and women and transwomen as the same. But we shouldn't. Biologically, men and transmen are not the same; women and transwomen are not the same. Everyone should have the same rights, with the only differences in treatment being for biological reasons.

Seems like I read you wrong initially.

I wholeheartedly agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The reality is a trans woman is legally recognised as a woman.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

But can we be clear.

Do you think the position that if someone were to say that a trans woman is a biological man makes that person automatically "transphobic"?

I'm not talking about "legally", as anything can be made "legal", with enough effort.

The bizarre thing with your posts is that I'm always left unsure what you actually believe.

And the reality is, a woman is genetically different to a man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Is there any further update on the Dublin pride attack on the 28th. Been what 10 odd days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What was the nature of the ‘media partnership’ ?

Pride are not a state body so why should they have access to a media partnership with RTE and its resources, our state broadcaster ?

obviously the work done by RTE on their behalf is partly funded by money paid to rte via our TV license…

odd… That pride would have been of the ability to acquire an ‘in’ into rte, dozens if not hundreds of man hours… without a single cent presumably being paid..

Go to the RTÉ website, just use the search function, search pride…. Weekly articles sometimes…

all driven by a ‘media partnership’.

the state broadcaster should not be of the ability to be leaned on in this manner, used in this manner. News and state media should be independent of any influence of from groups like pride..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Haven't been following the conversation but searched Macy Gray and this thread came up...

Singer Macy Gray Has Been Re-Educated on What a Woman Is and It's the Creepiest Thing You'll See Today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Through "Education" More like Re-Neducation. You can see she does not believe a word she is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

She told the truth the first time. The fact she was made rephrase her words because it would've ruined her career is the sad part. It just goes to show the power these people have that others are afraid to speak out

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭ingalway

The penis, not known if male or female, accidentally slipped into the male vagina?

That's not what I mean by accidental pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I can't really get my head around this. Apologies if I offend anyone, I honestly don't intend to offend anyone, but I'm confused. Take the couple in the CK ad. The mother is a woman who is pregnant. She has a vagina and womb, obviously, she's had her breasts removed and is clearly taking some kind of hormones to give her male attributes like a beard.

The father is a man who is living as a woman. So the father is obviously on hormones of some kind also. So how does this work exactly? The mother identifies as male but has a relationship with a male who wants to be female. So are they gay or bi or straight or what exactly? If the mother identifies as male why is she having vaginal sex?

If she was having vaginal sex to get pregnant why would she want to be pregnant if she believed that she was male? At some point someone somewhere must have pointed out that with the mixture of hormones and God knows what else, both parents are putting into their bodies, that their could be serious risks to the baby. I really think that CK have been really irresponsible with using this couple as something to aspire to. I'm confused.

• Advertisement

Advertisement