Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Wont be sorted until they build the flyover !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fascinating to see how the Beacon managed to operate profitable billboards on Council owned land for twenty years, despite safety risks to traffic.

Article is from yesterday's Sunday Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

The Results of last years Summer Streets Trial have been published.

You can read the short overview document here:https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/dl_summer_streets_evaluation_summary_report_f0.pdf

The 99 page full reportcan be found here:https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/dl_summer_streets_evaluation_report_f0.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

It’s odd that the sign went up on public property, I’d love to know how that came about.

I’m not sure I buy the road safety reason though. There are billboards all over the city, some of them near major junctions and no one is calling for their removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Well, it would seem from a cursory read through, that the reaction, despite all the hype to the contrary, has been overwhelmingly positive. DLRCC now need to get off their ars*s and implement it permanently, as per the recommendation. The summer is half gone already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As per reports to the Councillors at various meetings in May and June, the Council aren't going to close George's Street Lower at all this summer.

They have undertaken to prepare a detailed 'Part 8' proposal to be published around October, containing solutions to all the issues raised by this assessment report and by stakeholders. This will go to public consultation with a view to having a plan agreed for Summer 2023.

In the meantime, the approved Part 8 to do the full improvement on Myrtle Square and Convent Lane will go to construction.

Its worth noting that at the abovementioned Meetings, Councillors expressed serious concerns about the bus services and misgivings from many businesses not involved in hospitality, which will not easily be addressed by any full closure of Gs Street to traffic.

I certainly will be fighting to keep the street open to limited traffic; buses, taxis, cycles and delivery vehicles. I believe there will be more than enough safe public realm space in the area, in what has already been approved, without the unacceptable consequence of removing bus services from the Hospital and Bloomfields, where they are needed most by those who can do without them the least.

Well, 81% of residents and 67% of customers would disagree with you. If you read the report or even the summary you will note that access to the hospital and shopping centre has been identified as an issue that will need to be addressed.

Also I think it is more about providing attractive public realm spaces, which you can never have too much of, the provision of such benefits everybody, including businesses.

Yeah let's just wait for the Part 8 shall we? The Councillors will hear directly from stakeholders, in no uncertain terms.

I read the report of course, but I did notice on social media that even some zealots described the findings of the report, around traffic volumes and displacement, as not reflecting the "lived experience".

And really, you can have too many public realm spaces, attractive or otherwise, if they take away public transport services from those that most need them and where they need them the most.

There's many a pedestrianised shopping area in towns across the UK that are basically derelict. Not only because of pedestrianisation, certainly, but it does demonstrate that its no panacea either.

Would the evaluation not satisfy the public consultation requirements? Seems to be fairly clear on what the stakeholders want. Or will they go shopping for another opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Regarding those UK pedestrianised areas, I think the world needs to learn that going forward, they will need to get out of their cars and walk for a few metres instead of being able to drive right up to the door. People are realising that towns belong to them, not cars, and thus are demanding that what's currently road space is reallocated more fairly. Look at how successful it has been in Paris in such a short time.

Before anyone jumps in, of course the elderly and disabled will need to be catered for, but because someone once needed to collect a piano from a shop, allegedly, doesn't mean it happens every day or needs to be allowed.

• Advertisement

No, it wouldn't.

Last year's closure consisted of some dudes in orange suits staring at their phones and moving cones occasionally.

What the Council will propose now, in fairness to them, is a comprehensive scheme to enact a permanent closure and the consequences thereof, like new street furniture, new traffic signals, spending to cater for diverted and relocated public transport and other traffic. The scope of that in cost terms as well as physical changes in the public space requires a Part 8 and its correct that they intend to carry one out, even if I intend to contest quite a bit of what it will likely contain.

Bit difficult to cater for the elderly and less mobile while closing the main street to the public transport they rely on at the places they rely on it the most.

Your Piano analogy is correct, but its not an impactful issue. There is more than enough car parking close to that stretch of George's Street to cater for all private business, this will be all about buses and will pass or fail on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Be great if they could get electric golf cart type vehicles to ferry disabled and elderly around pedestrian zones. Just like the airport.

it’d remove much negativity around great schemes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

How do the elderly manage to get to Lwr George's Street in the first place given if using the 46a/63/75 they'd be dumped at the DART Station or at the Shopping Centre if using the 7/a in one direction or both directions on the 45a/59/111.

As I've heard from older relatives and their friends, they alight those services at the DART station Terminus, then join the next departing 46A, 63 or 75 and ride it around to the stop at Bloomfields. Usual wait is less than 5 minutes, thanks to the frequency of the 46A in particular and with the free travel pass, its no bother to them to do it.

Okay but on the 7/a, 45a, 59 or 111 they'd have to walk

They have the option to change along Crofton Road, or to cross from outside the Pavilion to the DART station Terminus, as they always have done.

Either way, the outline proposal to close George's Street Lower to public transport, between Patrick Street and St Michael's Hospital entrance, will remove accessibility to those who need it most and will not be accepted, if I have anything to say about it.

Not possible if travelling southbound if travelling towards Sallynoggin/Ballybrack/ Loughlinstown/Killiney/Dalkey they'd have to walk to Marine Road or Upr George's Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Amazes me that the elderly and disabled are able to get around the networks of narrow pedestrianised streets of many European citiesi and towns. Yet for some reason it's impossible to do this in Ireland

Doesn't mean life is easy for them.

Why would the calculus be based on first disregarding options for the least able? In fact, accessibility policy for the public realm demands the opposite.

• Advertisement

Doesn't mean life is hard for them either.

On one hand, we have examples from all over Europe, South America and Asia of pedestrianised city spaces being completely uncontroversial re: elderly and disabled, on the other hand we have you using anecdotes of friends and families and arguing that this is somehow a regressive and discriminatory step back.

Perhaps reflect on that for a while, before further pretending to be some champion of the elderly and disabled rather than being honest about hating active travel and irrationally loving vehicular infrastructure.

Remember when you pretended to be a town planner but then said you didn't know what induced demand was? And then when informed on it, argued that your subjective experience outweighed hundreds of papers/studies from all across the world that showed that induced demand was a universal phenomenon?

I see similar happening again, and again, and again, where you throw out lazy unfounded claims that conveniently support continued car-dependent infrastructure&design and when confronted with arguments against it, revert to type by using subjective anecdotes as your 'evidence'.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Would love to know how many elderly or disabled people are getting the bus to or from Michael's hospital every day. You'd swear from some of the comments on here there's hundreds...

Whats your point?

Is it that because it might be only a few dozen, they don't matter?

The Hospital is only part of the argument anyway. Across the street is Bloomfields, with Tesco, Dealz, Boots and Argos.

Drive by the Bus Stop outside Argos almost any time and you'll see people with a lot of groceries waiting for a Bus.

THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF THEM.

But all of them only have one friend and/or relative, and that happens to be Larbre34. Hence why he knows all of them and everyone else is mystified at the laughable idea that having a door-to-door public bus service for elderly people is a normal thing.

Laugh away hen, but no matter your chatter, the existing bus access down Lower George's Street WILL be maintained when this debate is all over, because that is the wish of people in Dun Laoghaire who have the ear of the political parties who are in the majority on the Council when it comes to adopting Part 8's and so that will be the decision of those parties.

Try not to be too disappointed.

I never claimed one way or another whether bus access will be maintained. I just pointed out that your arguments were specious and thoroughly contradicted by real world evidence.

That you couldn't defend your arguments whatsoever is unsurprising, but sad nonetheless.

Specious eh? I've another fancy word for you, its 'obtuse' - deliberately or insensitively slow to understand, you should be familiar with the act.

My argument that public transport accessibility for older and less abled people, to the heart of the town, should be maintained, speaks for itself.

The Councillors will be the ones, ultimately, to defend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's a mobile sign at the bottom of Monkstown Ave., it's facing you as you come off the roundabout beside the CBC college to drive up towards the leisure centre and says that there will be major roadworks commencing August 8th. Does anyone have any info on the scope of this project? Wondering if any local roads will be closed or should be avoided for a few weeks.

On the broader issue of DLR roadworks, is there anywhere you can look up planned roadworks? I've tried in the past and except for major projects that went to tender, it seems to be impossible to find notices for upcoming roadworks. You'd expect roadworks planned for the next couple of months to be flagged at the website below but it's very light on detail...

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/travel-transport/road-maintenance

Weekly scheduled roadworks bulletin is published here and on DLR social media.

By the look of this, Monkstown Avenue is to be resurfaced, works taking place from 10-4 each day, with a stop/go system. Hardly worth avoiding I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 the Hass

it looks like there was a car fire at the junction of Elton Park and Castlepark Road, which seems to have caused damage to the road and the verge.

I presume the council will claim off the drivers third party insurance and repair the road, it is a bit of a mess at the moment.

Advertisement