Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

Heard the mart manager from Kilkenny on the radio this evening, he said very few factory cattle in Kilkenny today, he’s not sure did people not bring them out or are they scarce,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Straight from the parlour. Lads buying in the mart and taking straight for slaughter. Some of these buyers will manage to get fairly good flat prices on cows. Have heard it commented over a few time over the last month. A 250kg DW cows @4.5/ kg 1125 euro. Some lads absolutely cleaned up buying those cows and carrying them straight to the factory. If a farmer rocked up with them cows the be lucky if they were not told they were put in the skip.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

Youll apreciate this bass. When you look at the beef price app for the less common grades and the p1 cows you really see the different prices they pay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

3 friesian bullocks in mart on Tuesday, the best of them was 1050kg,he sold for €2450.they were may 19', the seller was non qa, as friesians go, they were good cattle, what would he have made in the factory

Much the same I would expect or a bit less. They would hang 550 kgs and grade O+. But he would really want to know the price before he arrived at the gate with them. 550X 4.6 is 2530.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It's always been the same at this time of the year mainly due to feckin flies and cows going down with mastitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

cull cow is a total cash cow for these buyers- pardon the pun.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

From IFJ this week.

Beef sales drop in UK.

Is this part of the reason for factories pulling prices…

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

Or is this part of the strategy to pull beef prices more?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gman1987

I could guarantee you if you look at the Dairy sales in supermarkets they would show a similar trend but we dont see milk price being pulled back. You are comparing a Covid lock down period where demand ex supermarkets soared to a non covid lockdown period where demand ex QSR/Food service has soared. People are out and about and spending, you only have to look at the Airport on the news every weekend to see this. I think people are going to have the summer they want and it will be later in the year when they curtail spending which may result in a pull back in QSR demand/Food service and hopefully a pick up in retail again.

• Advertisement

Some variation in price there with higher prices most likely being paid to some of their own and distorting the market view of pricing. Something else when P grade cows are getting more than bullocks or heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It's like I forecasted, rheir margin is so reduced for the first six months that they'll do their damnedest now to haul it back, You see the same a bit with sheep when you get a good spring price with lambs.

The only thing that'll save us now is scarcity of cattle and resolve of farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Wrangler you have hit the nail on the the head. They pinched their margin so much this spring. They had to pay good money to the feedlots. If they didn't, they would pull the pin with the price of inputs. Their trump card of supply would have been seriously hurt.

They took some pain in may for long term gain

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

One can only hope to God they pull through this period of vulnerability.

Who'll be surprised if they do and have a record first 6 months and years end?

What are good r grade heifers and o grade culls making at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

Was talking to an agent yesterday he said any steers he bought last week were bought at 5,he said they are trying to buy at 4.90 this week he heard but he hadn’t spoken to the manager yet, he had cattle ready to go himself but he has grass so he is going to hold off for a few weeks

I also was talking to a man that does haulage, he said he never drew as many cattle this year to the factory that were underfinished,

This hot weather might drive a few more weeks of cows to the factories, grass is getting scarce in parts.

Hard to tell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

R grade coloured cows @€4.80 in the south east this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I wouldn’t be too confident of them not dropping below €4.90……..

I said a few weeks ago that I’d be happy with them stabilising at €5.20 - would happily take that to be €5 now or even holding at €4.90.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭kk.man

I sold three weeks ago...I was sorry I didn't move sooner but so delighted I did.. thanking my lucky stars.

• Advertisement

At this stage they will have used mostly of the feedlot supplies that they for ed out over the last three weeks. The more they pull the more underfit cattle they will get.

More than one person has commented on the amount of cattle slaughtered that were under fleshed especially cows. One slip and they could have to start competing aroungmd the mart ring again. It might be a case of what they have they hold

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭kk.man

An auld lad near me always says 'watch that June Bank holiday weekend'...he is so right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭High bike

Hard to judge from a photo but that Red Limo bullocks doesn't look anything special,serious money for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Heard today on bbc news all be it said for the uk, that "some experts predict a record breaking heatwave to be prolonged"

Could be as far out as a lighthouse, but grass must be getting scarce on dry dairy farms.remember 18'

You would think it will hammer beef once more like 2018.

Just watched Castleisland 540kg AA made 1510. Not a lot of flesh on them.

That is a price of 5.2-5.5/kg at a weight of 280-290 kgs DW. Which is a base of 5-5.2/kg

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭locha

Got quoted 4.70 for steers next week (got €5 two weeks ago) Agent saying our benevolent overlord has decided 4.50 is where they will be at the start of August and the cartel is playing to that..Under no pressure to sell so I’ll hold for awhile and see how this rodeo goes…

God 4.50 would take the shine off the shoe.

4.50 in August will see me going bullock to a hectare.

These were 27/28 month old AA. All going for the hook at that money. Other fleshed stock not as hot

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I certainly hope there not at €4.70 next week, that would be some fall!! Looks like they are trying to pull the **** out of them and buying up in the mart to bridge the gap until lads will move at lower prices. If the drops continue the beef sector will go broke!!

Advertisement