Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holland & Barrett Rip Off Irish Customers

Options
  • 07-07-2022 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I consider Holland & Barrett to be a fraudulent UK retailer operating in Ireland for the following reasons. They frequently run campaigns like : " Buy one and get a second one at price price" But when you get to their store they frequently don't get the second product at half price because they issue you with a confusing bill for your total purchases. In their store at MacDonagh Junction in Kilkenny they overcharged me on the last 6 occasions I have been there. In my most recent purchases, they charged me 40.34 euros for 3 products that should have only totalled 34.51 euros. I have got the receipt to prove they overcharged me. As they frequently do it, I do not accept it is an error by the assistant who served me. I think it is fraudulent.

Furthermore, before my most recent trip to their store I received an email from them telling me that I had accumulated a 150 bonus points because of past purchases from them. When I got to the store the assistant could not find the email on my account saying it must have been sent from the UK and does not count in one of their Irish stores, which I think is a further example of dishonesty. 

For the above reasons I consider H & B to be a dishonest UK company doing business in Ireland. What do you think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

they overcharged me on the last 6 occasions

Why do you keep going back?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What do you think ?

I think you're an eejit to keep returning to a business which you believe is ripping you off. If you voted with your feet, things may change.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭kieranwaldron

I appreciate the advice from the two comments above but their is method in my madness. I did get H & B on the previous trips to their store to amend the bills to the correct price so I only paid the correct price. I was in so much of a hurry in my most recent trip that I just took the receipt that proves I was done out of 5.84 euros. Instead of taking the receipt back to the store I have decided that I am going to take H & B to the small claims court and get a decision against them for dishonest behaviour over a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Word for word copy of the question I was going to post.

Fool me once, shame on you…. comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Yeah good luck with that. I shop in H&B from time to time when I don't have time to wait for supplements to arrive from online and I've never had a problem with them. There buy one get the second half price is exactly that so not sure what's going wrong with your visits. Try a different store maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Your first mistake is believing in the snake oil that is vitamin supplements. Eat a proper diet and you don't need supplements. Your second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh mistakes were to keep going back and giving them your money.

If you are so desperate to buy their products, go in and just literally avail of the offer. Buy one and get the second at the reduced price. Don't buy anything else. It will be immediately evident if there is an error.

You haven't a hope in the SCC if you haven't given the store an adequate opportunity to rectify the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

I think either buy from them online or go shop elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

The last sentence is what I was just about to comment on, Doodah7 beat me to it. Small claims won't entertain as one of the first things they'll ask is what you/the retailer have done to try to rectify the issue. You might as well just shout I'M TELLING MAMMY!

I gave up buying stuff in H&B, the half price* and 1c sales just bring stuff to less ridiculous prices.

(*same as Dunnes/Tesco/any retailers)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

They pay their staff peanuts, they put their staff under huge sales and target pressure. They are WAY WAY WAY overpriced - in the UK and even more so here.

They made in excess of €7m profit in Ireland in 2019 and has accumulated profits in excess of €50m just in Ireland

Why people keep believing their false promotions is beyond me.

But for someone to be constantly overcharged to continue going back time and time again is probably the reason they still trade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I believe the correct term is "fool me six times- shame on my great grandparents for even thinking about having a ride"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

To add insult to injury, they even charge a few cent for a farting little paper bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

A UK Retailer...

Holland & Barret is Russian, since 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I only discovered that a few weeks ago, there mustn't be many iconic British retailers/manufacturers that are British owned these days, there's been a major sell-off in recent decades.

Advertisement