Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

Not a hope I'd make on it 😂

I'm in the market for an iX and sales people are showing little interest.

God be with the days when a door was held open for you going into a showroom.

Now it's .....have you an appointment.... no.... see ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Arrogant order taking, zero discounts, being treated poorly despite spending a lot of money. When did we see that before in Ireland in car dealers? 2007 rings a bell...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I was looking at the iX at the display day on the quay in wexford recently. I generally look like a hobo, and that day was no exception, however the sales folks were straight over to me nonetheless to talk about numbers

If Tesla didnt exist I'd have bought an iX (herself said no to an i4 m50 which is what I wanted!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

I had similar experience in Kildare. Sales lads were certainly taking an interest and only stopped when I told them I'd already ordered the M50.

It shocks me though that people would consider any Tesla as an alternative to an iX .. Model X I assume ?

• Advertisement

Jaysus couldnt be doing that sure. invested too much time at this stage :P

Yes we were cross shopping the MX, MY from tesla vs the iX and i4 from BMW. The prospect of waiting a year for the iX or i4m50 I wanted, or indeed 2+ years for the MX I wanted, we bought a used MSM model X instead.

The i4 in msport trim really is a lovely car and I was very surprised after the test drive to see it's a hatchback !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

the 2023 global recession is going to help that somewhat I'd guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Yeah love my tech too but all things considered I’ll buy it anyway. Likely trade it in around 3 or 4 years and hopefully won’t be chip issues then. Can live without the items listed, don’t have them in the A6 so won’t be like I know what I’m missing!

Was worried the keyless entry or harmon kardon would be removed but happy they ain’t.

Looks like full price reduction is €2335 so basically giving me the tech pack instead of tech pack plus.

Doesnt seem to be any reduction to allow to lumbar removal in passenger seat, anyone have any idea what that would be worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

A 4star Euro NCAP rating is disappointing for a car in this category and price range.

Euro NCAP is getting tougher to score 5 stars every year. A 4 star score wouldn't stop me from buying it. Here are the details

Full Euro NCAP test downloadable:

Comments:

The passenger compartment of the i4 remained stable in the frontal offset test. Dummy numbers demonstrated good protection for the knees and femurs of both the driver and passenger. BMW demonstrated that a similar level of protection would be provided to occupants of different sizes and to those sitting in different positions. Analysis of the deceleration of the impact trolley during the test, and analysis of the deformable barrier after the test, revealed that the i4 would be a moderately benign impact partner in a frontal collision. In the full width rigid-barrier impact, protection of all critical body areas was good or adequate, for both the driver and rear seat passenger. In both the side barrier test and the more severe side pole impact, protection of all critical body areas was good and maximum points were scored. Control of excursion (the extent to which a body is thrown to the other side of the vehicle when it is hit from the far side) was found to be adequate. The i4 does not have a counter-measure to mitigate against occupant to occupant injuries in such impacts. Tests on the front seats and head restraints demonstrated good protection against whiplash injuries in the event of a rear-end collision. A geometric analysis of the rear seats also indicated good whiplash protection. The i4 has an advanced eCall system which alerts the emergency services in the event of a crash but no system to apply the brakes after an impact to avoid secondary collisions. 

• Advertisement

The pole side impact on these test always make me tense up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

I'd be very concerned about some of those extra missing absolutely making the car sale proof in 2 or 3 years time when we aren't in these supply constraints- stuff like Adaptive Cruise and indeed the whole driver assistant plus pack, or Lumbar is a must have imo as its standard even on many budget cars and I certainly wouldn't be buying a car without those features. I'd be wanting the full cost of the package back before I'd consider proceeding with an order

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Not going to happen unfortunately, they know they have a huge queue of people waiting to order and they just don't care.

@Casati - radar adaptive cruise and lane keep assist are both standard on a base model Hyundai Ioniq electric (€25k) but neither are standard on a Porsche Taycan (€100k), a regular poster in here ordered his Taycan without either option. So not everybody wants this or is prepared to pay for it. I wouldn't worry about this in relation to future resale value too much...

Exactly. Do you think the boomers that might buy that car in a few years time care about adaptive cruise control and DAP, sure they can't even work their phones 😂

But after having those options on my last two cars I wouldn't go back to a car without them, it's the small things in life...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

I guarantee your friendly BMW dealer will - any excuse for them to low ball the punter with the trade-in etc. Having said that I wouldn't refuse a Taycan even if it had exercise windows fitted

Exercise windows? I thought they were called Paddy windows? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

The passenger side lumbar deletion has been going on a while now before supply issues , probably a couple of years.It was purely a money saver for BMW. They also deleted the auto dimming glass on the passenger side mirror at the same time.

I wouldn’t worry about some of the features from the tech plus pack being removed from a resale point of view as the majority of cars will not be ordered with this stuff anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Taycan has lane keep assist as standard and it is annoying as hell (as it is in every car) so turned it off immediately. Had a model 3 will all those self driving features and I hate them with a passion. You could not drive down a country road at speed without the tesla warning you and tugging at the steering. It either follows the car in front too close or too far no matter how you set it. Those features to me a pure useless so I didn't get them. However the taycan has automatic regen mode which uses some sensor to detect the car in front and slow down but if there is nothing in front it coasts even on non-radar fitted cars???

Depends on the buyer, I dont think resale should come into your own spec, but certainly any car with standard cruise control is fine 99.9% of the time. Sure in Ireland you are gaining on the traffic in front all the time anyway so its drive at 10kmh over the limit until you catch up on a car in front and then its overtake and repeat time. If its techno transport device you want get a tesla, no better car for that stuff. If its a drivers cars you are buying then be prepared to drive it, its no hardship unless you are distracted by your itchy vagina. 😁 (i jest, casual misogyny is not cool)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

The Ultimate edition of the BMW I3, which is the final edition of the car , comes with every extra.

Except , only comes with a small screen.

• Advertisement

The BMW autonomous driving is way more advanced than these archaic traffic laws allow it.

With a little bit of coding on my g20 330e I was able to enable lane change assist (soft press on the turn signal) - it changes lane on its own and even traffic light assistant which automatically detects and stops at traffic lights and gives warning when it changes to green in case of daydreaming.

The i4 might have these enabled by default

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They should be allowed. My Tesla does that here.

Green light chime to get going and when navigating on AP it will auto lane change, you just have to flick the indicator. And check of course.

Id say it’s bmw that has them locked down and pan to charge for it as an option similar to the Enhanced AP from Tesla.

Yes all that is allowed (my 5 year old Tesla does all of it) so BMW must have disabled it, but you are right in saying that the EU (or more precise the UNECE) severely restricts autonomous driving (for now) over here. Some (optimists) say this will change and we will see Tesla FSD beta before the end of the year over here. For anyone not up to date in what it can do, look at this video. If you don't want to spend 20 minutes, just randomly watch any single minute of it. It's scary. The car drives just like a very careful human being would drive.

Sorry if this is going off topic, but this is a bit of an eye opener for anyone not up to date on this stuff.

Fair play for enabling those features on your car though, @SD_DRACULA 😎

My G20 was Nov 2018 build. It has driving assistance pro pack and parking assist plus. I get no new features like, Assist Drive View or the drive recorder. The recorder is €240 but it's included in later builds. The Assist Drive View works cause I coded it as does lane change assist. BMW don't seem to understand if the car has the hardware then they should make the features available on that model. It would put me off purchasing. In my job if you purchase a product you get all the future features for that version included with updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Fitz ll - Can you turn off the lane assist completely as a one off, or do you have to disable it every time you get in like my A6.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kevin.m

The passenger autodim deletion far predates the lumbar delete. BMW removed it in early 2016. My July 2016 built 430d didnt have it.

Manufacturers are missing a trick here alright, but they are getting better. BMW have been fitting the HBA stalk to G20's for a while now even if HBA was not optioned. It can be purchased online at any time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Remember the old VAGS, you could add cruise control with the stalk and simple coding 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

im guessing its disable it every time, its like a muscle memory when im in the etron, very annoying.

A lot of cars in the late 90's early 2000's had this. I remember the second gen avensis for sure, in addition to pretty much all VAG cars from the late 90's onwards (mk4 golf, b5.5 passat etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 kevin.m

It could be argued that the coding process is even simpler on BMW's with the FA and default coding system used by BMW. Just add the option code and the software works out which module needs coding changed and what needs changing.

Yes it was like that on most VAG's of the time. IIRC, on the mk4 it required running a wire from the steering column to the ecu. If you had a cable-operated throttle body, you were SOL. On the mk5, it was engine dependant. If you had a tdi mk5, you were golden. Early GTI's needed the extra wire too.

Advertisement