Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Protest in the Netherlands by Farmers.

Options

Comments

"The environmental challenges posed by agriculture are huge, and they’ll only become more pressing as we try to meet the growing need for food worldwide. We’ll likely have two billion more mouths to feed by mid-century—more than nine billion people. But sheer population growth isn’t the only reason we’ll need more food. The spread of prosperity across the world, especially in China and India, is driving an increased demand for meat, eggs, and dairy, boosting pressure to grow more corn and soybeans to feed more cattle, pigs, and chickens. If these trends continue, the double whammy of population growth and richer diets will require us to roughly double the amount of crops we grow by 2050."

"double the amount of crops by 2050"

Double, not less than current, double.

The EU is taking the policy steps towards importing food from Brazil while reducing our own agricultural footprint and it is utter insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

Not only have I seen very little coverage of this, I've also seen something of an uptick in anti-meat pieces the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Doesn't surprise me. Its plain to see the media in the past few decades are the enemy of the people in the West. Reports against the narrative are unheard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I don’t think the poor coverage is anything to read into, English language journalists are often slow to react to news items in non English speaking countries.

I live in NL, I use 3 different local supermarkets weekly and haven’t noticed any empty shelves as yet, neither has my Dutch husband and I haven’t heard our friends even speaking about it to be honest. The protests have popped up a bit in the news but more in the west of the country, and in terms of annoyance at holding traffic up. I don’t think the farmers have much support really, might explain why the news hasn’t traveled too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,231 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Do Dutch news outlets constantly report when our truckers and farmers go on the march?

No, no they don't. Put yer phones in the microwave and go out for a walk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You’re seeing what you want to see. I live in the Netherlands and see nothing like that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The cops shooting at the tractor driver just shows it doesn't matter where in the world you go, there'll be cops just dying to get a sneaky shooting in whenever they can. "Oh he was driving right at us!". Scum and nothing else.

The wheels are coming off big time pretty much Europe-wide but we're still in the denial phase. Just look at inflation over the last year+ and the clear and obvious "it'll peak soon, honest!" nonsense those "in the know" have been putting out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It seems to be very "local" alright. If anything the Italian farmer stuff is bigger, but still local.

Another aspect to this could be Russian spin. I'm no there's putinbots everywhere, especially from people who lose their shít at someone who doesn't rant slava Ukraine with every utterance, but... I mentioned on the Russia thread hereabouts that I know someone who's bought deep into Russian spin(among other stuff), current and longstanding and I'd generally bump into them on a near weekly basis and I find they're a handy near word for word barometer on what that spin is, so saves me reading it. I was talking with them the other day and they were all fired up about the Dutch farmers, how the EU was trampling them and keeping it all off the news, food shortages are already here, the EU is falling apart, panic on the streets etc. Given their only previous exposure to the Netherlands has been a can of Dutch Gold, I doubt they're licking this from a stone.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Augme

The same posters here cream there pants about the "success" of this protest are the same ones who creamed there pants at the "success" of the fuel protest earlier in the year. The reality is there is very little interest or support for these protests from the citizens. It's just a tiny group making a lot of noise.

I was recently reading a new Ross O'Carroll Kelly book and in the story the wife of Ross is some deluded leftie liberal who becomes a politician. She comes up with a scheme to ban all sheep and cows from Ireland in 10 years or something. And of course the farmers protest, drop hundreds of cows by her house in Killiney to block roads etc.

I literally laughed as I was reading it 2 weeks ago. Now it reads like a bloomin' Nostradamus book or something.

Parody is so passé nowadays. Every parody ends up becoming a spoiler to real life!

• Advertisement

I wonder what they eat in Davos and Brussels and other places where these decision makers eat. I wonder what their carbon footprint is. Or how big there homes are, and how much it costs to heat them.

Sorry but I dislike the "Do as I say, not as I do" approach to these types of laws.

The biggest contribution to pollution is from the exploding population growth in the third world. Why do we have to feel guilty every time we have a burger or a steak?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Seen a video of plain clothes police hopping out of a van to disrupt/attack/incriminate whatever verb you'd like a group of protestors before getting chased back. Wasn't from this protests but shows how they act.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The European plan for food is grains and veg from Russia, beef and soya from Brazil and lamb and milk from New Zealand.

There are ways the Dutch could manage this sustainably.

The policy at European top level for 20 years has been to aggressively undermine Energy and food production in Europe in favour of external actors like Russia and Brazil.

Insane given the importance of food and energy, insane given Much of the best agricultural land in the world is in Europe.

Wasn't the European plan (i.e. the German plan) to get oil and gas from Russia as well. We saw how that worked out. Now the Germans are blessed it's summer. Winter will be hard. Why the big desire to offshore all the dirty jobs to the developing world? What's wrong with Europe producing its own stuff?

Why would Russia want to draw attention to this?

It's a help to them, they are clean delighted with the Dutch Govt.

The winding down of German energy production worked well, not for Germany but then it wasn't for their interest.

Outsourcing these things increases strategic vulnerability for Europe.

Hopefully it will be a record cold winter in Germany, wake them up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The general gist I'm getting is not unlike the whole sanctions against Russia thing; It's hurting us more than them! spin. That the EU(which the Kremlin seems to hate and fear in about equal measure and for obvious reasons) is dictatorial and trampling down ordinary Europeans. Add in panic type stuff about empty shelves and food shortages on top of gas and oil shortages and an impending recession and mass migration into Europe on the back of famine. That's the narative being spun to Russian supporters in their media and wider social media in the West.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The few thousand people who protested in Russia against Putin got plenty of coverage from the likes of the BBC and Sky. Same in Venezuela and Ukraine in recent memory. Pretty sure RTE coverage all too. Id like to hear unbiased news reports of global issues like all above not just the handpicked ones which suit the narrative, but maybe thats a thing of the past when journalists where actually holding there governments to account and not activists for them.

I don’t think it’s even as insidious as Russian misinformation, but I could be wrong. People always see what they want to see. So they find themselves a nice little Twitter echo chamber and settle in.

I was thinking about it and there is a weird quirk in Dutch supermarkets. They’re **** at stocking shelves. My local Aldi is out of bread after 18:00 every day. There’s a chance that video was simply taken at the right time.

they/them/theirs

Exactly. It's about strategic vulnerability. Remember when there was a shortage of PPU equipment in the pandemic and it became apparent that all of the Western world's supplies were made in China? It sent a little shiver down anyone's spines who actually considered what would happen in the event of a really deadly pandemic (I mean a survival rate less than 99%).

• Advertisement

I notice that on the continent too. If you're shopping for bread at 18.00 it's almost like you've failed at life by not planning ahead. There isn't the same 'always on' consumer options on the continent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As an aside, how is it living there? I've applied for a few jobs and got nada. Seems like the best choice in Europe for an English-speaking monoglot.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 40,231 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yes war in Europe for the first time in a generation is the exact same thing as famers in some westerly province in Holland protesting.

But but but it's a conspiracy.

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

They were protesting the war on Ukraine, an actual invasion, it fed into that larger story. If you're reporting on a war in Europe you're going to report on how the war is perceived in the invader's country. Big difference compared to farmers protesting environmental policy. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be reported on at all but it's quite obvious why it's not getting and wouldn't get the same level of coverage as the protests on Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Your "general gist" comes from a sample size of 1, some crusty that you know. That hardly means the whole thing is a Russian disinformation plan, christ.

Plans to cut farms and herd sizes by up to a third are massively damaging to european food security and farmer's livelihoods - its not KGB propaganda to notice that.

The Dutch are the 2nd biggest food exporter worldwide, so them cutting their output massively will cause havoc in developing countries and Europe alike. THe people leading these policies never acknowledge where the food is supposed to come from to replace the drop in output - because the answer is brazilian beef, grown by farmers deforesting the amazon. If Europe cant supply its own beef then the Brazilians will be happy to destroy the earths lungs to keep the supply of Big Macs going.

I wasn't talking about the protest against the war, there has been many instances of protests in Russia getting plenty of media coverage in western media, off the top of my head the protests against the imprisonment of Alexei Navalny got widespread coverage and most telling was the condemnation against Russia for this act.

If you look at the reports of the detention of Julian Assange it is totally different language being used by media outlets in the west.

Your "general gist" comes from a sample size of 1, some crusty that you know. That hardly means the whole thing is a Russian disinformation plan, christ.

No, but the "sources" the same crusty is plugged into seem to be pretty keen on reporting it and calling it a "western media conspiracy" that "mainstream media" aren't reporting it. It's not a russian disinformation plan, more about what spin is put on the same subject depending on the narrative. Like Fox and CNN reporting on the exact same story come up with different analysis to placate their respective audiences and sponsors.

Plans to cut farms and herd sizes by up to a third are massively damaging to european food security and farmer's livelihoods - its not KGB propaganda to notice that.

The Dutch are the 2nd biggest food exporter worldwide, so them cutting their output massively will cause havoc in developing countries and Europe alike. THe people leading these policies never acknowledge where the food is supposed to come from to replace the drop in output - because the answer is brazilian beef, grown by farmers deforesting the amazon. If Europe cant supply its own beef then the Brazilians will be happy to destroy the earths lungs to keep the supply of Big Macs going.

You seem to think I don't agree with you on this. I do. It's beyond daft. Along with Germany and France cutting nuclear power, our own gobshíte Ryan and a ban on turf. On the one hand you have talking heads going on about needing more people to drive the economy and at the same time hellbent on outsourcing our power and actual food production.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The Russians, Chinese, Iranians etc will all pick any bit of bad news or perceived dissent and report on that rather than the day to day, its the same stuff western media will do about China or Russia - report on protests, or their failings etc. Its not exactly a conspiracy, just how it is. It doesnt make the news itself any less true though.

Farmers are protesting and rightly so about cuts not only to their livelihoods, but the food security of the entire union. Braindead cuts they are. And half the world obsessing over Ukrainian grain exports and hang wringing over starving African countries - yet we are content to reduce food grown here at the same time. Nonsense

It’s still grand. Happy to stay. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement