Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There is something wrong if an AC charge point is as high as €30k, these are what we are all doing at home for a fraction of that. I had this exact same conversation in work a few weeks back with head of Maintenance, an EE requesting a charge point install for their EV and the quote was thousands. I told them an outside socket is fine which we could install ourselves for just cable/socket cost, ER are not here to charge EE cars but no problem with a modest top up, in work for 8.5hrs a day times 2.2kW is a respectable ~17kWh free charge. EE said no and that's it, no charge points in work if that's the attitude!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Well as much as we want the public infrastructure improved that is something that should never have been done from a financial perspective, as an FC in the private sector there is no way that would be approved

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Why are they installing 22kW chargers? If they had gone for 7kW, I presume the hardware would have been cheaper and the need to move to 3ph would have been removed?

I suspect there’s a lot of people in LAs at the minute being told that EV charging is now part of their job but they don’t know a lot about it so they’re copying eCars or doing what the suppliers tell them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Those 200kW units with 2-4 plugs are ideal for this scenario. If you're lucky you get 200kW, worst case scenario you get 50kW

11kW for a 2 hour stop is 14-22kWh for most cars. Not really worth the hassle

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Charged today in Portrush Co.Antrim.

Someone had stuck a laminated sign on the charger with "6 new chargers now available at Kelly's caravan park" printed on the poster. Can't see any info about it online so maybe it's a new thing?

Also noticed the car takes 12kw from the 22kw AC chargers. I thought it only ever took 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

In NI the voltage is slightly higher so you’ll get 12kW…… voltage would be closer to 250 up there compared to 230-240 down south.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Looking on Google maps there's a "chargepoint charging station" marked at Kelly's

Yeah there's 6 22kw stations on the app.

Good to know, it's on plugshare anyway. £6 overstay if plugged in and not charging after 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

The EU's executive plans to propose by the end of September what it reckons will be the world's first technical legislation that will allow member countries to approve the registration and sale of up to 1,500 vehicles per carmaker model each year installed with advanced self-driving technology

except we live in Ireland so will be the last to enact it, and even then only after the UK do it who are outside the EU now.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

Another new charging provider as well, stopntop.ie. They don't show the price for charging at any of their stations unless you register.

Some councillors cousin made a fine profit for digging a trench on that job 🙄

It's a bit concerning when the charger itself is the second cheapest items in that project. I'm pretty sure a DC charger wouldn't have cost much more and would be many times more useful

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I can't think of a place that would be worse for a 200kW unit, the average stay is going to be around 2 hours. The ability to recharge around 100-150km is ideal in that case.

The old phrase: “never blame corruption when incompetence is far more likely” rings true here. It’s far more likely that the council didn’t know what to ask for or didn’t know what was value for money.

Tends to be a mix of both IMO. Local councillors are often also local business leaders and may have interests in several local companies. They do however have decision making capabilities over where council finding goes, so it's quite easy for them to direct it towards areas where they have business interests

Councils tend to just go with whatever supplier is closest/easiest and don't seem to have much expertise when it comes to procurement or good fiscal conduct

And so out of that we get a €30k AC charger where the charger represents about 15% of the overall costs

Also note there were no fees for consultancy or services listed, only physical work and hardware. I'd be surprised if Laois CC got away without a single consultant being hired

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Shur why would dey need a consultant?? Bobby Joe (who's cousin is on the council) has been driving one of dem Toyota hybrids the last 6 years, he's your consultant....... will do it for €2k..... (cheque please, cash even better)

Are you sure about councillors having a say in where the money is spent? I’ve never personally come across a council contract where the elected councillors were involved at all, they’ve all been done by permanent staff. Perhaps the smaller councils are different though.

What I do see in work is councils copying tenders issued by other, larger councils resulting in requirements that are beyond their actual or reasonable needs.

They don't decide individual contracts but they do have a say in spending priorities and local area planning, for example if the CC will fund EV chargers or refurbishing playgrounds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

The worry is that these pilot projects form the basis for the conclusions and the recommendations for all the LAs.

The analysis shows that without funding support, the business case for slow on-street charge points is currently not viable. This is driven by low utilisation, particularly in the early years, which means the revenue is not sufficient to pay off the initial outlay. Under the conditions tested, none of the 7-22kW technologies pay back within 10 years.

I find this an exaggeration. But anyway the consultants who did the Dublin EV strategy document, Element Energy, recommend rapid charging as priority

Reasons below:

•   Rapid hub charging is more compatible with shifting residents away from privately owned cars – slow-fast neighbourhood charging near drivers’ houses would make this more challenging

•  Rapid hub charging is compatible with the operational requirements of sustainable vehicle models such as electric taxis and car clubs which align with modal shift ambition, public realm and long stay parking policies

•   Rapid hub deployment offers a more cost-effective approach, with lower capital investment required per EV served (see section 4.4)

• Rapid charging has a more attractive business case and is typically less dependent on public cc capital funding support (slow charging business case currently very challenging)

• Fewer EVCP devices need to be installed in a rapid hub approach, and it avoids large volumes of infrastructure being deployed along residential streets / pavements

• Rapid charging is a more mature and commercial technology option – the slow-fast neighbourhood charging market is still in development stage with several solutions involved in trial deployments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,082 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I was passing Donohue BMW/Skoda in Wexford this evening so said I'd pop in to see what sort of EV stock they had and was pleasantly surprised.

1x 221 Mini Cooper - I assume it was a demo as no price displayed.

1x 2020 i3 for €39K.

1x 2021 iX for €94K.

1x 222 Enyaq 80 (obviously waiting for collection)

2x Non registered Enyaq in the showroom. No regs on them yet.

1x Enyaq in the lot still in the plastics.

I'm seen quite a few EVs around my small town now and more appearing every few days. There's a few Ioniq 5, the odd EV6, two Enyaq, loads of eNiro and Kona, a decent amount of ID3 and 10+ ID4. Also a few Audi's, an iX and an EQA. There's one Model 3 owned by a local but a grey one appears every few days. There's also a MG5 floating around. Lots of older Leafs but not many newer ones. I spotted a black Taycan today as well.

Also on my way to work the last few mornings I've passed the same white Model Y on Ukrainian plates. Hopefully it's someone who's not been affected to much by the war.

What are the rest of ye spotting around?

• Advertisement

I think AC is best used as a hook to bring in customers, like a hotel providing chargers for guests

It can probably be profitable if done at scale, for example putting AC charging along a whole street. You'd minimise the cost of installation and give yourself a large base of chargers to sell kWh from

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I live near a similar size town to you in the same county. Like you I see the usual mix daily of Leafs new and old Hyundais Kias VWs etc. Dont see many Teslas though the mobile service guy told me there are at least ten in close proximity though he thinks I am the only new white model 3. Have seen a white X around and a few black S. and a red and black M 3

Evs are certainly much more plentiful alright. Even in rural Ireland.

I used to post here years back on the same topic, I was in the Leaf and it was other Leafs and a few Ioniqs, now it's across the board, everything you just said and it's great to see so many preface Leafs still aplenty, come next Tesla delivery day I'd say a lot more Model 3s will be hitting the road

Folks would you consider €13K (asking so potential for a lower price) for a 2016 Zoe Dynamic a decent price?

Thinking of trading down the ID3 first as we've the Ioniq 5 now and I only use the ID3 for short trips around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Assuming it's battery owned, and even then its probably a little overpriced. Zoe is a great second car, but I'd suggest getting the battery owned version and the 40kWh

Apparently it is battery owned and 40KW but I've not had a chance to look at it in person yet.

I owe about 20K on the ID3 and repayments are no issue so keeping that is also an option but the car is probably wasted at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I hear ya, we have a model X and the range on our second EV Ioniq 28 is being wasted so I'm considering trading down. We own the ioniq outright so perhaps that makes it easier.

It's just the price of older EVs are ridiculous so you're overpaying for what you're getting.

I'll have a look at the Zoe over the weekend and see what they say. If the deal works then I'll go for it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

The 41 kWh was only launched in October 2016 and was only available RHD from 2017 (UK deliveries started around March 2017 and Irish deliveries April/May).

Check with Renault to make sure it isn't battery leased or that the lease has been bought out. If the lease has to be bought out, get a quote from Renault for that, and demand a reduction of at least that amount from the asking price.

Determining a decent price is difficult as there are so few available for purchase and demand is high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Surely "model 3" sounds more like "model T" no?

Advertisement