Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

We didn't look open at all against Fermanagh either. We shut them down without much fuss.

I would imagine similar respect will be paid to Westmeath and we will see a more solid defensive structure rather than relying on dominating midfield and converting more of our chances to win the game.

The last time Cavan played Westmeath we made a storming comeback in the league in Breffni. Thomas Galligan swung that game for us from the bench. I know some of the Westmeath men were not at all surprised with his Championship 2020 exploits after seeing what he did to them that night. He will surely be a marked man this Saturday.

We probably need a bit more from Paddy Lynch and James Smith in the scoring stakes. They've played very well but the scoring return hasn't been massive from our two main men on the inside line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I agree on the assessment of the Fermanagh game, with a couple of caveats: we were naturally up for a local derby, but Brewster is way smaller than Croke Park so easier to press and stop runners. Also, Westmeath look to have far better forwards, so it should be a bit harder to handle them. I completely agree that we will have a bit more shape about us than we did against Sligo.

That league game in 2020 was great. At half time ii even saw a few people leave Breffni, convinced we were on the way to another tanking.At that stage we were looking at heavy defeats to Donegal, Tyrone, Armagh, Tyrone and Armagh in succession!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Our old Buddy Barry Cassidy is the ref now

I think that’s a disaster. Why has Deegan been replaced? Cassidy was brutal in the 2020 final. There’s no way we’ll get marginal calls with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Deegan withdrew from it, not sure why.

• Advertisement

Is there not a single referee from Munster or Connaught that the GAA could have appointed? This is a really poor decision

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

This is a disaster! Barry Cassidy! We will definitely get black cards for getting within a foot of a Westmeath player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

He never was fair with us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

with the derry crowd cheering for us which i hope they will i think we'll get more off him now

• Advertisement

Cassidy called the black card for the Gunner, practically under the instruction of the Donegal players. He missed the elbow on Galligan which happened under his nose. Brannigan flagged the foul by Madden but ultimately Cassidy called that ridiculous black card. Glad none of those came back to haunt us, but those were the three big calls on that game and all went against us.

What about the elbow Gunner threw back coming out with the ball that was a sending off and after his black card so even a yellow would have put him out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

The Cavan game is at 3 and the Semi Final at 5.30. I can’t see too many Derry or Galway supporters rushing in to sit for over an hour between games.

Fermanagh play an atrocious brand of football though. They generally attack as a team and try to win a free so Quigley can score it.

The teams that have run at us have caused us problems. Even the likes of Donegal and Antrim in pre Tailteann games could have had goals had they got their passes right.

Hopefully we can get the balance right on Saturday. Westmeath have some very good players but man for man we are a better team. We just need to show it.

Errrm, he shouldn't have been black-carded in the first place. How much did Donegal score when we had 15 men on the field?

Whether it was or wasn't he should have been sent off. What relevance has what Donegal scored when we had 15 on the field to what im saying?

Post edited by celt262 on

Donegal didn't create goal scoring chances until after they jammed the first goal and then our heads were gone and had to chase it. Did Antrim create a goal scoring chance?

Down scored one, and along with the penalty and other chances, they carved us open. Same for Sligo. We are definitely open to runners coming through the middle- even evident against the so-called weaker teams in Division four.

I was just pointing out that Cassidy's very poor decision making could have cost us dearly. Donegal scored seven points (we got one) for the first black card, which was an appalling decision.

Also, i don't agree that he should have gotten a yellow card for trying to shake off a tackle, but there you go, I will freely admit to being biased on that one!

It was more likely a red he should have got he hit a Donegal lad in the head with an elbow but that is old news now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Barnsleyfc

Hi all. Sorry to go slightly off topic but I have an upper hogan ticket for sale for below market rate for Saturday if anyone is interested then pm me.

• Advertisement

Donegal had goal scoring opportunities in the first half had they made an extra pass to the side but they took points. The likes of Jamie Brennan also had room to keep running if he wanted and cause further problems but took his point.

Either way, the Donegal game is not overly relevant as Westmeath will play more like Down or Sligo and run at us, particularly when they analyse our previous games.

I’m sure they will also realise that we are a side who rarely kill off teams and allow the opposition to hang in without landing the fatal blow, even when it’s there for the taking.

In fairness, Donegal's game is all about running with the ball! My point being that if we are set up and have our intensity right, I don't think Westmeath will just walk through us. The problem with the Sligo game was a bit of complacency i think and it almost cost us. I don't anticipate us being that lax on Saturday (i hope!). By all accounts, a full panel to pick from. Anyone feeling confident enough to name the team?

I would go for:

Ray, Fortune, Podge, Gunner, Jason, Moynagh, Conor Brady, Thomas, Clarke, Gerry Smith, Gearoid, Oisin Kiernan, Cian Madden, Paddy Lynch, James Smith.

Bench of Martin Reilly, Conor Madden, Carolan, TED, Holla, Conroy, Cian Reilly (if fit).

Just after listening to WAC pod there, is Conor brady injured?

Which one? The free one or the Patreon one? I've not listened to the former one (yet).

The free one, the Patreon one was out yesterday, Gerry smith was interviewed on it, today’s one is the free one Micky is interviewed. I thought paul Fitzpatrick said Conor was injured?

Donegal run with the ball alright but it’s generally sideways and backwards, not much forward momentum! A few neutrals have said to me that we never looked like losing the game against Sligo - we just free wheeled along knowing we would outscore them.

I’d imagine your team will be close enough. Graham may try a curve ball like Carolan vs Fermanagh or Smith vs Tipp/Sligo. Can’t see who it would be though.

I think leaving Martin Reilly as an impact sub is a great idea. Huge player to lift the crowd when he gets on. Holla would be coming off the bench as well.

I listened to it there (and that section twice) and I think it's a mistake: he says "even though Conor Brady is injured...since he's come back from that injury, he's really grown as a player". They then spend a fair bit of time talking about how good Conor Brady has been this year at county level and if he was missing for Saturday, I would assume both lads would have spent more time talking about how we would be missing him.

I listened to that bit twice also and he Did say he’s injured at the minute but he didn’t dwell on it or say he’s a huge loss, I hope you are right he would be a colossal loss, looking forward to this game I think if we play to our potential we can win this by 3 to 4,weather is going to be excellent so it will be real championship feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

If we win it’ll be by one point with the ball hammering off our crossbar and posts in the ninth minute of injury time and us all having heart attacks.

• Advertisement

Sure what other way would you have it? Cruising to a 10 point win in a final would be no craic at all :)

Weather will be great, decent crowd predicted, a final in Croker in July. What more could we ask for? Will be a tight game, both teams will know plenty about each other but I have a feeling it will be a fairly open contest and hope our bit of power stands to us and even if we fall over the line, it won't matter.

Cavan by 2 in another ding-dong nail-biter, Thomas Galligan to have one of those big days for us.

Advertisement