Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you feel about Drag Queen Story Time?

Options
  • 07-07-2022 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

I am not bothered at all by Drag Queens, Trans or any adult making personal decisions in their life. But this stuff is well out of order.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Would you ever change the record ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

This is just American fundamentalist Christian bullshít masquerading as concern to get idiots all outraged. You'd swear drag queens in kids' entertainment was a new phenomenon.

If you're getting outraged as you hang around the sorts of places where the term "groomer" is bandied about freely, you're a rube, a mark, a victim of a simple con for simple people. I know, I know - nobody likes being told that they're falling for a con. Acknowledging that you fell for such a stupid con is hard and possibly beyond you. It's much easier to keep filling your head with shíte while you tell yourself that it's the world that's wrong and that you're the one who really knows what's going on by watching youtube videos by American rightwing christians who you think would never deceive you.

Anyway, you won't be convinced that you're being lead down the garden path. You'll hop from one hobby-horse to the next, just like any other good mark. Next week, it'll be homosexuality in movies or whatever else the grifters have cooked up for you.

Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

anti-trans hysteria buy religious nutjobs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

FFS, this again.

It's just strange and disturbing to me. I just dont understand why this is becoming trendy these days? What is the point of them? Do they really think this is needed to protect that one lone child who might be gay? As if it's that difficult to come out anymore? Ffs, nobody cares anymore. In fact if you come out it's largely something that's universally celebrated these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Someone in drag performing in an appropriate way in front of kids, yeah I'm fine with that. And when I say appropriate, I mean a non-sexual way.

But drag artists don't always perform in an appropriate way in front of kids...............e.g. the Dungarvan performance in the pic below.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

OP is the worst Satanist ever. Basically comes across as a very conservative, if somewhat paranoid, Christian. Lucifer would not be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

No issues with it at all. Its not like they are reading the kids erotica or anything, its your usual bog standard kids story told by someone in a costume. People just see a guy in makeup and **** their pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm guessing their underwear. I doubt they were naked under the dress.

• Advertisement

You're doing God's work, op. Keep it up.

I'm guessing something like a punch and judy show. Why, what is it? Is it a drag artist reading to kids?

Maybe it’s more than “one lone child”? Maybe coming out as trans is still really, really hard?

So the same kind of thing you’d see at any beach or any dance show or any gymnastics event then? Did it really merit a headline story from The Liberal (sic) or do you think that they were stirring things up maybe?

No, it must be filth. If it wasn't filth, there wouldn't be a red dot, would there? I mean, If the likes of The Liberal would't be so disingenuous as to put a red dot over something as innocuous as a photo of man's underwear, in order to make it appear worse than it actually was, would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I was reading about the hoo-ha over this in Mayo, so I decided to do a bit of reading to try and understand what this was all about.

So for the uninformed, drag queen story time is a San Francisco invention (because of course it is) developed by the founder because they thought libraries were too hetronormative. DQST was developed to expose children to the other genders out there. Readings are often of stories that promote inclusion around gender issues and the like. So that's what it is.

Proponents seem to argue that it's no different to panto, but since they have different goals (entertainment Vs teaching about gender through entertainment) that is at best a gross distortion.

Would I send my child to one of these? Nope. Children have enough worries without the need to throw their gender into the mix. We have a middle class obsession with being seen to be inclusive in this sphere and that's what's driving this.

I know one family where a young teen is having identity issues and the parents are finding it terribly difficult to manage. I don't see why anyone would want to potentially invite this particular wolf to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

It's just another trendy American thing that right on mommies and daddies can tell everyone they know that they took their kids to see it. Ultimately nobody cares. Why anyone would need to take their kids to see a drag artist I don't know, presumably Twitter likes. It'll die out soon enough. The more people ignore it the faster it'll disappear and the trendy mommies and daddies will have to find some new fad to Tweet about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Would I send my child to one of these? Nope.'

Me neither.

I've given up arguing about it though.

It is obvious to me that drag queens are expressing adult sexuality though others will swear blind they aren't.

Yeah, the Liberal are only trying to stoke up controversy as they are essentially a media outlet that stokes up religious sh1te and hatred of foreigners. I'm quite happy to label The Liberal a shower of cnuts.

That said, just because they are a shower of cnuts, that doesn't mean that they are wrong in this instance. The performer did, as is obvious from the picture, pull up their dress in what looks like a sexual manner. I'm fine with someone in drag reading to kids, or any sort of performance in front of kids as long as it is non-sexual. Performances should be age appropriate.

Not quite the same as seeing a bikini/underwear on a beach or the clothing worn at gymnastics.

• Advertisement

This is the myth of the conspiracy of subversive gay/trans brainwashing that leads to Florida's "don't say gay" laws and repressions in Russia, etc that denounce any such expression as "promoting" homosexuality and harming children though "gay propaganda". The notion that if kids are just left alone without the queers and the trannies telling them about stuff, they'll all just grow up fine and normal. It's bullshit. You can't make a person gay or trans by having a gay or trans person talk to them. It's not a contagious disease.

How’s the “bury your head in the sand” approach working out for that family? Do you think that kids will turn gay or trans by attending story time?

Can you explain the increase in teens that are now displaying gender and identity issues over say 30 years ago. And don't throw out that old trope of "acceptance", because if that were the case then you'd have as many older people coming out with these issues now too.

So it's not that it's contagious, it's just that many teens can and do struggle with their self esteem and can latch onto ideas that they can think are the solution when they are not - or rather incorrectly label themselves as such.

Similar filth on the BBC, shared wantonly on YouTube to all ages, without a red dot or a care in the world!

You don’t think that societal attitudes were a barrier to coming out 30 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

What are you on about? That family have done everything they can for their child, private child psychology, the lot, lots of support but the issues remain.

Will one event "turn" a child? Probably not, but I still wouldn't send my child.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If the best argument against it is a video dump and 2 sentences, I'd say it's probably fine.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Did they “invite the wolf to their door” to use your own phrase?

Advertisement