Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shinzo Abe was Assassinated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Not good, he was ridiculously exposed there. Serious lapse in security.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That's just the way they do it. You see politicians, from rural town mayors on up, speaking on the street or an the back of trucks etc. Here we have politicians out jogging with no security. He was not the active Prime Minister and in a country with a disproportionately low violent crime rate. Murder cases are rare and all over the news and followed in great detail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

this is actual footage of beatlemania in japan

seems to be just like anywhere else, below is the beckhams at the airport

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If you think about all our TD's and Ministers out campaigning , they'd all be very similar - Wandering around Shopping centres etc.

A member of government getting shot while campaigning is just not something that would even register as a possibility here or in Japan clearly..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,215 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Stop it, by jaysus you’ll have our lot sweatin more bullets than the country can muster.

Willing to put it down to a case of overpopulation. Even in Japan there’s got to be one; at least one I tells ya….

I mean that he had to make his own gun says all that needs to be said

Imagine living in a world where that wasn't normality

Lot of knifey stabby I’d imagine 😰 quick; break out the guns.

i have no idea what you are on about in your last 2 posts, maybe a few too any friday crunchys?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,323 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wouldn’t like to be his security team, utterly hopeless. Several shots fired from where he is statistically most vulnerable.

the uniform cop to the right standing like a mannequin several shots have been fired… looks like he should be stood in the window of a primark.

• Advertisement

Oh waay too many of those buttercheeks here’s a thing though whether guns; or knife its what culture you allow establish itself in your country. What level of distrust you instilled or allow to fester there and japan, at least is far off that so I'd probably trust them for the most part but it's an unfortunate incident, no doubt and I hope amidst the furore we can all pay our respects ..

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I know very little about the ins and outs of Japanese politics but from the outside it seems to be a nation going through a bit of an identity crisis at the moment. Its heyday is definitely behind it, at one stage in the 80s many were predicting that Japan would be the next superpower, not China. But they've had about 30 years of slow growth and stagnation since their bubble burst in the early 90s, and couple that with the rise of China in their own neck of the woods in the meantime. Their population is also falling rapidly from its peak about 20 years ago.

Abe seems to have been a stable force in their political system (Japanese PMs don't seem to have much staying power) but also showcased a lot of that residual nationalism, especially towards their imperial history in China and elsewhere.

Again it's a gross oversimplification but I wonder if this tragedy together with the serious aggression coming out of China at the moment will have a major effect on Japanese self-confidence. Or how that will play out politically.

as it was a homemade shotgun and it seems 2 shots were fired within maybe 1.5 - 2 seconds, not even speedy gonzales would have reacted fast enough

Not even Clint eastwood and Kevin Costner would have stopped some randomer attack like that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Surely the Yazuka (sp?) crime syndicate use guns?

Also to poster above who said a gun wasn't involved, think you may be a little confused. A gun produced by an amateur gunsmith in his garden shed is still a gun, if it works properly and can shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Yeah Leo V lives a normal enough life around Dublin. I don't think it's prudent for him to be mingling in the park or out jogging with no security when he has the position he has.

there will always be nutters and people with grudge so keeping the guns out of easy reach, just like the dishwasher tabs out of the babies mouth makes sense also

Guns dont kill people, rappers do!!!

he has gotten this far, why curtail your life to live in fear

you could list the numbers of politicians killed here and you fingers and I think all but 1 or 2 are about 100 year ago and the others I think have some aspect of the north to them and about 30 years have passed

so mingle away

.-well this is it really but there is no oversimplified this matter, only complicating it and much as we may loathe our own we should always feel we know each other enough to never step over that boundary. Sure you get the occasional fool but lookit, it's no milkshake off my back and we can all look back and laugh regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

The Irish Labour Party TD James Tully was standing next to the Egyptian dictator Anwar Sadat as part of a trade visit when Sadat was shot dead.

Some wag said afterwards "They missed".

Post edited by growleaves on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Looks like pipes duct-taped to a plank, there's not really much you can do to stop people making stuff like this. The most interesting improvised firearm I've ever seen was made in a prison in the US and used a box stapler as a trigger/striker mechanism. If someone is determined enough they'll be able to put something together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

wonder what will come out of the investigations about the murderer and his motives. my guess: nothing. He was a random lunatic, just like the guy who murdered Kennedy...yeah, yeah, yaaaaaawn..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have a classmate living here who is from Japan. It would not surprise me if he was shocked and dismayed after he heard about this dreadful news this morning. He used to work in a Japanese restaurant in Dublin before he had suffered a medical condition.

If the motive of this shooting was by someone who just didn't like him. There is a huge failing here somewhere in how the security arrangements were not up to scratch in protecting a former PM of an extremely important Asian country.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bewareofthedog

RIP Abe, always got a laugh during his awkward exchanges with Trump. Don't know a tonne about him politically but he seemed like a decent skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Strange the security detail didn't draw their weapons and shoot the assassin.

It wasn't political apparently, looking like a Hinckley Jr. type character.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I know on initial inspection Japan is a well-ordered society, and people who visit as a tourist or on business, that's all they see and fawn over the country. Like everywhere though, there's a lot going on under the surface. Sexual violence is probably above average and is swept under the carpet. Inter-familial abuse, workplace abuse etc is a feature of the culture. Every now and again you get fissures of crazy like the sarin gas terrorist cult, the guy that burned down the manga studio killing dozens, the attack on the care home (last year?). Random knife attacks are becoming more frequent. You're unlikely to get mugged by a scaldy on the street, but don't mistake it for a wonderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Perp has been identified on Twitter, fequently seen in communist related rig-out. Nothing mad, but Che Guevara shirts and soviet union tank helmets.

Wouldn't rule out a kooky political motive at this stage.

Reputedly had a grudge. Claimed he didn't have a grudge, can probably take it for granted but creepy film regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

For **** sake. Do some research before posting this shite.

Those photos are of world famous video game designer Hideo Kojima, not the assassin.

This is how fake news spreads....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The Kojima thing started as a joke online that spread quickly, a french politician retweeted it and it was broadcast on the Greek news

https://galaxyconcerns.com/hideo-kojima-misidentified-as-shinzo-abe-assassin-by-news-media/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,323 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m not suggesting he’d have stopped the first shot, but the second maybe….and if there had have been other targets the mannequin was still there motionless…

Advertisement