Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LC Written Examiners, 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

Good advice from spurious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Numbersman

Ohh sorry! Didn’t know, I had rang them earlier to say I didn’t get it and they’d said they’ll post it again and I thought I’d ask just in case I needed anything ready my side lesson learned!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If your Advising Examiner has been in touch, give them a ring. You don't really need to do anything in advance of your conference.

In general, follow your instructions and the marking scheme (whether you agree with it or not) and if you find yourself getting a bit out of your depth, or having issues meeting deadlines, tell your Advising Examiner asap so that they can help you. Don't leave it so late that you are beyond help and in a terrible mess. Ask any questions you have, no matter how foolish you think they are. Your AE is there to help you stay on track, not to find fault with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Numbersman

Thanks Spurious! Will definately take this advice on board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Just to add, I was an examiner for JC HL French the year before I did my teacher training, i.e. only on the basis of my degree. I even got a ton of extra scripts, so with the acute shortage this year, I'd imagine anyone who wants work will find it.

I would've liked to do it again, but I'm just too busy with lesson/material preparation for next year. And it's my first summer in teaching in Ireland, so it's nice to have time to unwind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bluespecs

I'm correcting online this year for the first time. Haven't a clue how that works but will find out when the conference starts.

Meanwhile, the curiosity is getting to me as well as the desire to be as efficient as possible during the marking : would a smart tablet with touchscreen and smart pen be faster than the traditional mouse? Would the simultaneous use of 2 monitors rather than just one speed up the process in any way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I've used a mouse and a stylus on my 2 in 1 laptop. Honestly, with the repitious movements, a real mouse is preferable, on a mouse pad ......you are mostly clicking and the mouse is a bit better for dragging the ticks......especially when they are near each other. A separate keyboard can help too! Sometimes a change is as good as a rest and an hour with the stylus can break the monotony though!!

Definitely make sure you have a stand for your laptop or a monitor at head height, looking down and focusing will destroy your neck. The second screen could be handy if you scanned the scheme or had the notes up on it.

Give yourself lots of breaks too, your eye will get very tired! But it is 100% better than paper corrections, much easier to pack away at the end of the day and get out of your sight and no daily trips to the post office!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You don't want to be going too fast online.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bluespecs

(As an examiner might say) could you expand on that a little bit? I want to do everything 100% right..... But as efficiently as possible.

• Advertisement

Your advisor can see how long you have been on line and probably how long you have spent on each paper.

It might be different for different subjects, but I could only download 20 at a time, and at certain stages then, I couldn’t download more until the advisor had given clearance.

Speed doesn't always help accuracy and they are more interested in accuracy than necessarily making deadlines.

I can't remember if you said you were doing JC or LC, but sometimes with JC (possibly also with LC) it can take four or even five re-readings to make sense of what they are writing. You can't really rush through them.

Time-wise, while you might (should) not be spending 13 hours a day at them, you shouldn't really be spending less than maybe a solid 4 hours minimum at them each day, more likely 5 or even more at the start.

Did anyone get info on advances this year? Some of the superintendents I know did get them, bit of a surprise! Wonder will correctors get the usual advance but taxed.

I got a text asking for my prsi details and it was mentioned that it was so they could give an advance.

Cheers, thanks! Mostly just curious. In fairness the payments have been a hell of a lot faster in recent years and without the expense of the conference it's not as big an issue but it was damn useful when I wasn't being paid in the summer years ago!

There was talk of going back to athlone next year, wasn't much appetite for it in our group anyway!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

When does one find out how many papers they're going to get? The day of the conference? Mine is starting on Monday.

• Advertisement

Are you online or paper?

If online, they will give you a ballpark figure at the conference. You will be told how many you can download per day and when it ends.

If it’s paper you will find out when you count them. Last year mine arrived day 2 of the conference, so I knew then.

Thanks. I'm online.

If you got the pink piece of paper in your finance pack it gave the limit for the excess payment. For my subject its a little over the normal number of scripts you'd expect. It really will vary massively by subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Is this different to the enhanced 150 euro per 25 scripts marked this year??

Yeah, 2 possible extra payments this year. So all your scripts are an extra 6eu each (150 per 25) and any you do over the allotted amount on the pink slip are an extra bit!

Edit: It's a crazy amount for my subject btw.......by then end they'd be hard pressed to find any money to make me take on that number and then more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭pandoraj09

We're getting very well paid this year, LCHL subject, though I think I'll earn mine as I've just corrected 1 exam online and its taken me all afternoon. 210 is our cutoff for the extra for over allotted amount. It was great not having the trek to Athlone, the overnight and the hassle of collecting bags of papers, bringing them home, opening and counting them. It's also great not to have to do any adding up.

I was sending an email to finance anyway so I asked about the advance too, there will be a pay schedule from Monday apparently! Strange it wasn't mentioned in the official letters ect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

My guess is that it will be a welcome surprise if money lands in people's accounts and keep them marking. If it had been stated in a letter and then was weeks late/didn't happen everyone would be grumbling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭History Queen

288 euro just landed in to my account fton the SEC. Wasn't expecting it.

I think my old advance was 1200, that's a strange drop! I assume it'll be taxed this year like the superintending!

Not telling people is definitely smart. We seem to be ok for correctors currently, but I suppose we won't know if there is a problem til the end! I have to say the extra covid money is really keeping me doing it, I wonder will they loose a lot if they get rid of that next year! The bad weather currently is definitely making it more bearable!

Ah I was happy enough with it til you said this! 😅

🤣🤣 I could be getting the same as you this year, I haven't a clue! But it was a nice surprise that I was getting anything

In fairness I think my advance for JC was around 700 and maybe less the first year I did it. It jumped a good bit when I went to HL LC! I never really understood how they came up with them anyway, always seemed arbitrary. The JC corrections were more time consuming and annoying but a third of the price per script. And the advances seemed the same, almost randomly generated, sort of scaled JC to LC

This thread had me all excited for an advance! Did everyone get one??

Got a reply from financial, in fairness they are quick this year. Most advances should issue this week depending on the finish date of your conference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I got the princely sum of €288 lodged into my bank yesterday morning by "SEC Written CTO".

Online marking is, in general, much easier in my view. I know it's my own mistake (well, actually, often the numbers are squashed together on the screen so it's easy to choose the wrong one) but it is, nonetheless, annoying when you fill in the wrong question number and have to cancel the marks and remark the 8 or whatever pages for that question again. Is there a way for just renumbering the question rather than remarking it?

We are all doing a lot of remarking in our subject anyway... I have to say my Advising Examiner this year is a really professional, supportive person. Even when I'm being corrected, it's done in a very encouraging way. The last time I did it the AE was quite intense with deadlines (and the SEC payment was four months late). It all seems much more civilised and calm without boxes and paper ar fud na háite.

Just received paper confirmation of the €288 payment. It was out of €600 so, to be clear, my nett pay is 48% of the gross. It would depress one to think about the work in those terms, so forget I said anything. 😔

Ya I realised that when I saw my payslip for the advance too... I mean logically I know that you only come out with around half but it's soul destroying to see.

Weird it was so little and generally the same across subjects and levels. It's way down on what the old advances were.

Have to say it's hard going with the sun and heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭pandoraj09

I feel particularly sorry for teachers not getting paid for the Summer who are marking at the moment. 288 Euro won't go far. I remember getting handed a cheque for 1200 Euro at the end of the marking conference not too many years ago. I find online marking fine but a full exam ie paper 1, paper 2 and the aural section is taking me 20 minutes more or less which is the same as the time it took me to mark with a red biro. I don't miss the queuing in the post office or having the sofa taken up with exam papers for the month of July. However I am finding it very very intense, not difficult just intense. I think this will be my last year at it. 33 Julys taken up with marking is enough.

Old advance was €500 the first year and €1200 after that, and not taxed, so the end pay didn’t seem as good.

The advance really makes no odds to me now but I remember that 1200 being really important when I wasn't being paid for the summer. Just seems random to change a system which was of benefit to the most vulnerable correctors financially.

The online is different alright, I don't miss the random trips and paper cuts but it's hard to concentrate on a screen for so long........and when I have a long question in the wrong field there may be some swearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Any pro's and con's about the online corrections?

I corrected JC for the first time this year and really enjoyed having the physical scripts. I love my PC but just wondering how it would be doing JC History online? Or Senior History?

Pros for me are not having my house taken over with scripts, not having to count them, order them, pull out a sample. Not having to go the post office. Immediate feedback on scripts from advisor, advisor being able to pull a script up on their computer when I have a question, rather than having to read it out. No marking sheets, tots, scrud60s.

Cons, having to stop after the random sample and each 50, and wait to get clearance to continue again. It can mean random days off when I don’t need them, and then pressure on a weekend, when I’d rather not work. Not knowing how many scripts I will have to do.

Benefits outweigh the drawbacks for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Thank you for that, some great info! Taking your post into account, it would be a no for me so if the JC History goes online. I like to have a bit of control over my schedule and having to wait after every 50 just takes away from being able to fit some 'life' into the schedule.

It would probably be after each 100 for JC, it usually works in 100s, while LC works in 50s.

To happyoutcan - in my subject I always have way more than I could possibly mark. When I'm at No 48 or so No. 100 - 200 gets released etc. I can easily work away and get some done, and then take a day off. I only had to wait after the 20 at the beginning to be allowed go again.

Gaiscíoch - if you have the subject I think you might have.... you can do that on P2, not P1. I'm OL and I can do it on P2. P1 doesn't seem to be as advanced. It takes longer to mark pages as "seen" and you can go moving annotations from Q to Q.

I've never done regular marking, so I've nothing to compare it to - but I like it being online, and probably would say no if I had to do JC in my subject and deal with paper and Post Offices and stuff. That said, I've a good, fast laptop. I know people with old dodgy computers who are finding it slow.

I'm LC and it was 100s then 50s! I didn't like it either, I would often do a very long day if it was raining or I had something on at the weekend or I was just in the humour and I was waiting a couple of times for papers to be released, nearly a day at one point. I can't really remember that being an issue last year. The flexibility is a really important part when your sitting inside in 30 degree heat!!!!

Is everybody having problems with the 'Exceptions' on the system? They're taking a good while to resolve them. We are all finished marking early, just waiting for these exceptions to be clarified to wrap everything up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

When will the LC results be published this year ?

• Advertisement

Is that purple Expenses form now irrelevant because the conferences are not held, or is there anything to put down in terms of expenses for marking? Why did they send us that 'Financial Information for Examinations Contract Staff - 2022' sheet when there's no 'Travel and Susistence, 'Travel Expenses' etc? Or is there? Is everybody just sending back a blank expense form?

Some people would still have conferences in person, so I presume they sent it out to everyone rather than pick through them.

Expenses will depend how far you live from the post office, there’s still one trip at the end. Mine is beside my school, so no expenses there. Some people will put the price of the stamp on too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

You have to write how many scripts you marked and how many conference days you had. If you had to contact your AE a lot - phone calls/messages. Personally, I haven't claimed phone/sms with a long time.

Forgot about the Conference days, what with not actually moving from the chair for them. They're going to have a great Christmas party in the SEC with all the money saved on travel and accommodation expenses. Technical glitches (on the SEC's part) here for the past week, so I'm hoping to finally sign off on my correcting, post this today and start my summer holidays. Fleadh in Mullingar here I come!😀

• Advertisement
Advertisement