Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you feel about Drag Queen Story Time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Mainstream family TV entertainment in the 80s. Legs akimbo, and no red dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yeah, there's a difference between Mrs. Brown which is aimed at adults and what we were talking about.

Anyway, we won't see eye to eye so I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

But kids worry about gender anyway. And hearing stories like this reassure them it is okay to talk about it/that what they are feeling is normal (whether straight/gay/trans/whatever their feeling is). The stories/costumes don't make them change into something they are not

Have you seen Mrs Brown?? I don't think it is aimed at adults at all? To me it would be "family entertainment", It was shown on BBC as their big Christmas Day special/offering ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I never recall anyone in my school during my day having gender issues.

Kids worrying about their gender is a very new phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You mean “I never recall anyone in my school in my day speaking openly about gender issues “.

I had a Christian Brothers education in the 80s. The only gender education we had was Danny LaRue.

I see the guy that I shared a desk with in first year posting on the school group on Facebook with a female name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's not really meant for small kids, hence the 10pm and 10.20pm start times on Christmas Day and New Years Day.

Look, I'm fine with drag stuff in front of kids as long as it's non-sexual. Kids have plenty of time to learn about that stuff when they are older.

I am totally straight. But when I was in first year I remember staring at my maths teacher boobs. Then wondering was I gay. And worrying was I straight but it was weird that I was obsessed with her boobs.

With hindsight it was just plain old teenage hormones going bizarre/running amok. But also with hindsight, wouldn't it have been nice to have been able to share my worries and just know "you are what you are, you will be who you will be, what you are feeling is normal"

And I want to be totally clear: Sharing these feelings would NOT HAVE CHANGED WHO I AM. Just because I could talk about something was not going to magically convert me into a person who is gay.

I did a lot of worrying about crazy things when I was a teen. And when I was pre teen. I was a very anxious little girl. I think much better we talk about things and explore them now. And things like story time: stories about anything, gender...death (that was a big anxiety for me when I was around 6) bring these things out in the open allowing children and young people the opportunity to talk.

Wouldn't you hate to think of your child or your young person/teen in bed at night not sleeping because they were worried sick about stuff and were afraid to share their fears with you?

• Advertisement

I would absolutely hate if my child was lying in bed questioning their gender, particularly if it's the result of someone filling their heads with nonsense about gender.

My children will always have my ear though and will always be treated compassionately, with whatever they come to me with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Great fun.

They probably won’t come to talk to their parents, if the parents display the attitudes shown on much of this thread.

Don't say gay! Then your child won't be gay! Magic protection from the gay and trans curse! Good luck with that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

The most offensive thing about Mrs Browns boys is that it's given airtime. I physically cringe at it. I don't watch it. I've no interest in drag, it's probably great fun to see a live adult show. But there's no valid reason for drag queens to be reading stories to kids, none whatsoever. I can't think of a single reason why any school would have it or why any parent would bring their kids to it other than because they're trying to score woke points. Here's an idea, parents could try reading to their own kids.

It's not inclusive, it's absurd. Here kiddies, come see the man in a dress pretending to be a woman, what's that even about. On what planet did someone think this was a good thing. What issue does it address? On the other spectrum there's the video most of us saw of a with a man with his cock out in front of little kids and the photo of kids at a drag show where the words 'it won't suck itself' were clear to be seen. It's pretentious middle class twaddle that makes bored middle class mommies and daddies feel good about themselves and gives them something to talk about at the next soul destroying dinner party.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My nephews went to a show like one of these. An event hosted by someone caked in makeup, a garish outfit, a ludicrious wig, and they could barely walk in the shoes they were wearing to the point you could tell it just wasn't natural for them.

Think his name was Bozo The Clown...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,764 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If Mr Musician feels his kids aren't of an age to learn or understand these things then who is anyone to say he is wrong,

Let kids be kids ,

Mr Musician conceived them children or at least has parental status over them, he feeds them, he puts clothes on there backs, he raises them , he spends his hard earned money on them, there for he has every right to project his own views on them ,

No else has that right , not me, not you ,not the LBGT community & defiantly not governments ,

He's said nothing hurtful or hateful so no need to be smart,

I think one lone child is being generous in, say, an average class of 30 kids. That's 3% which is pretty generous.

OK so there is an actual motivation behind these stunts? To make hypothetical trans kids feel better about themselves?

I would much prefer if teachers taught universal concepts like compassion, empathy etc which apply to everyone everywhere. Drag Queens are just not appropriate behaviour around kids. It's like taking kids to the pub. Sure, it's fine in and of itself. But the pub is an adult setting and it's just not appropriate for kids, generally speaking.

It's really not 'pretty generous'.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_sexual_orientation#Ireland

A study of the responses of 7,441 individuals, conducted by the ESRI, found that 2.7% of men and 1.2% of women self-identified as homosexual or bisexual. A question based on a variant of the Kinsey scale found that 5.3% of men and 5.8% of women reported some same-sex attraction. Of those surveyed, 7.1% of men and 4.7% of women reported a homosexual experience some time in their life so far. It also found that 4.4% of men and 1.4% of women reported a "genital same-sex experience" (oral or anal sex, or any other genital contact) in their life so far.[53] The study was commissioned and published by the Crisis Pregnancy Agency in partnership with the Department of Health and Children.

I've often brought kids to the pub, generally for food, occasionally for other family events. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with bring kids to the pub.

Why would you refer to 'hypothetical' trans kids. Are you saying trans kids don't exist?

Most of us didn't see the video you reference, because most of us don't follow far-right campaigns designed to stir up hatred against a vulnerable group, as a first step towards a broader attack on LGBTQ rights.

Would you be proposing a total ban on men in dresses telling stories to children?

No one is impinging on Mr M's parental rights. No one is going to force his kids to attend story time.

He does seem to think that if kids don't hear about being gay or trans or talk about being gay or trans, they won't be gay or trans. That's not a sound theory.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

• Advertisement

Your last paragraph about what you would prefer teachers taught.... ehhhhh, I am not aware of any teachers not teaching that. Are you???

Grand bit of projecting there, but they'd typical of your posting style.

My children will be free to choose whatever path in life they wish. I won't however be exposing them to this kind of gender bending nonsense that's in vogue with a middle class that's literally got so little to care about that they care about this.

When they are old enough to understand these issues fully, they will be informed. But I fully intend to let my children be children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Nothing wrong with all perfectly normal, and if you disagree, you're a bigot and a racist! no if's or but's

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Holy fcuk we made it nearly two pages before someone brought up the old Priests and vestments post. Standards are improving in AH.

All Eyes On Rafah

If you talk to trans people, they'll tell you that they knew they were trans, or at very least, knew they were very different to others from age 5 or 6 or 7 or 8.

If kids of that age don't know what being trans is, they're going to find things very difficult.

What is 'old enough' for you is almost certainly too late for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The age old pantomime is full of men, dressed as women.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Who cares enough to protest these events? Let people be who they want. As long as its not affecting you personally then live and let live.

I always wonder who has the time to be making placards and shouting verbal abuse. We have a cost of living crisis and our bills are doubling or even tripling every month. We are only coming out of a pandemic and the country is in bits. I would swap places with anyone who has so little going on in their life that they follow adults around to publicly proclaim they dont agree with them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 catmandont

All on the parents.

I'm going to bring a child to hear a story read by a man in a dress. Why?

It is so hyper specific, there's nothing incidental about it. And then knowing that there will likely be protests around it into the bargain. What is going through these people's minds?

Using children as pawns to signal their own thoughts? To who? Why?

So strange.

Advertisement