Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kevin.m

Have you looked into coding it out? I know you can code it to default to off on mk8 Golfs. I never found it annoying on my G20, it was subtle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You must have had the assist setting on Fitz.

You can turn it off, warning or assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

No it remembers and stays off. In Ireland where the lines are not always consistently painted its no use anyway. Porsche obviously think its a stupid feature too but add it in to satisfy the soy boys and old people that buy sports cars but cannot drive.

In the model 3 I could not get it to shut off and stay off. Always beeping at me it was, but thats the tesla thing....driving is an inconvenience that must be engineered out of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

in the i4 you have to turn it off on every startup - wrecks my head - it’s fine on most roads if I forget it but there’s one road I need to take on my way home that drives it nuts for some reason - single solid yellow line on the hard shoulder, broken white line in the middle, not sure what it is about it but the lane assist has a conniption.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Fitz II - "In the model 3 I could not get it to shut off and stay off. Always beeping at me it was, but thats the tesla thing....driving is an inconvenience that must be engineered out of the car."

That was not drivers assist (AutoPilot) in your Tesla, you have to actively switch it on each time and it disengages any time you intervene (steer / brake / accelerate). What you describe is the proximity warnings from the cameras / radar. You must like driving close to objects 😂

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭PDVerse

As far as I can tell (could be wrong) changes to EURO NCAP scoring from late 2020 onwards means manufacturers get marked down if their Lane Keep/Departure isn't re-enabled by default on start-up.

There doesn't seem to be any way to permanently disable "Lane Departure Warning" on my i4, I have to disable it every time. I've always disabled it on previous cars as they have always struggled with narrow twisty Irish roads. I can change the setting to Reduced (Early->Medium->Reduced) and it will remember, but if I set it to OFF it tells me it will be re-enabled on start-up. The same if I turn off "Steering Intervention". I've added a short-cut (swipe down from top of screen to access short-cuts), but this is a pain.

The warning is annoying enough, but the automatic steering intervention has unintented safety issues.

I have a long straight stretch of road near my house, perfect visibility, with a large pothole that I usually veer slightly over the middle of the road to avoid. I tried that yesterday, and the car actively steered me back over the pothole. I wasn't expecting that! Its not a gentle nudge either, you have to fight the car.

I know this scenario can be avoided by indicating beforehand (the irony of buying my first BMW and discovering I need to use the indicator more often isn't lost on me).

I drive on twisty narrow roads quite a lot, some with road markings, some without. In these conditions I think the feature may be a safety concern. I've read other peoples issues with moving out quickly when encountering a cyclist after a bend and the car autosteering back, or on narrow roads with no marking trying to move to the left to avoid an oncoming truck and the system autosteers back to what it thinks is the centre of a single lane road.

I'm going to try it out on those twisty roads shortly, maybe my concerns aren't justified.

@PDVerse - Tesla Model Y only came out in the EU after that and has 5 star rating. Autopilot is never switched on by default. So that can't be the reason for the i4 only getting 4 stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

My car keeps getting pushed out a week every single week in the week just before it’s supposed to go into production. How can that fkeep happening? At this stage I’ll get my original order faster than this cancelled order I picked up.

Frank Keane have a lovely 6 month old M440i Grand Coupe, €96k with 5,000km, would have been close to €110k new. I wonder what they would give me for a trade in 1 year from now if I bought it? If we go into a recession I’d say it wouldn’t be worth much.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/4-series/used-2022-221-bmw-4-series-m440i-xdri-dublin-fpa-202206297276430

The Lane Departure Warning automatically disabled itself when I drove on the twisty narrow roads (no road markings), so that's good news. I'll leave it on and see how I get on.

@unkel I think my opening paragraph may has mislead you. I wasn't commenting on i4 four star rating, but that Lane Departure is always re-enabled when you start the car ( not Driver Assistance Professional = Autopilot).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Might also be a way to code it off permanently. On my 21 BMW the setting is retained, I’ve had it off since Day 1. There’s a physical button on the dashboard too to access the driver assistance settings which is handy.

Thanks, I'll follow up with the dealer to find out more.

90% of my mileage is a round trip to Wexford from Meath each week, 148km each way. Its almost exactly 30 minutes on an 80kph road, 30 minutes on a 100kph road, and 30 minutes on a 120kph road. Did the trip from Meath to Wexford earlier, pretty much ideal conditions for range, and I travelled at the speed limit (GPS) for the entire journey. I left with 86% battery, and arrived with 57% battery, consumption showed as 16.5kWh/100 km for the journey. That would equate to a range of 510km, and the guessometer in the car is showing 297km remaining for my 57% battery.

In short, I'm very happy with the range. Mines an i4 eDrive 40 Sport (not M Sport), 18inch wheels.

@PDVerse - no I wasn't disagreeing with you, just wondering if what you were saying was true - that you get a mark down in Euro NCAP if any autonomous driving features are not enabled by default at the start of any drive. And even if that was the case, it is obviously not enough to mark a car down from 5 to 4 stars (as the Tesla Model Y doesn't have it enabled by default and it still got 5 stars recently)

That 16.5kWh/100km you got in real life with a pretty fast commute is very decent for your i4 (which at 2.2 tonnes is probably the heaviest ever D-segment car and it is as heavy as a car two sizes bigger like a Tesla Model S). BMW has form, the almost 10 year old i3 was very efficient too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That car is financial suicide imo , I know a few will disagree but it’s a very risky buy for a short hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

i agree it would be madness it’s not a special enough car to take the risk, don’t get me wrong the M440i is a nice motor but at that price it needs to be special to allow you to shift it without taking a complete bath on it, imo not helped by the Helen Keller colour scheme!

Yeah, I tend to agree. In a market where there is not much nice stuff out there you can tend to over value these a bit! I won’t be going for it!

Decent video on the M50.

Range test at 70mph.

It’s the US, he had a bit of a tail wind and good weather but gives an idea.

245 miles to 0%.

That's a rather decent motorway range, but deduct roughly 15% for 120km/h speeds. The good Cd of 0.25 helps a lot (the 40 is even better at 0.24). Deduct another 25% for the 15mph tail wind. In other words his test is pretty useless 😂

in the few long motorway trips I’ve done so far I have never seen anything close to that range. Typical Irish conditions for all of them i.e. wet/damp road, temp no higher then 16C, sticking to 120km/h gps, not sure about tail winds or head winds - consistently giving me about 320km range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Saw this and decided to call the dealer and guess what, same here, delivery pushed to mid August now 🤬

Apparently it kept on going back and forth in the "system" so I asked them to go and find out wth that means but don't have high hopes they will get anything.

320km at 120km/h GPS speed is pretty good imho in those circumstances. I probably wouldn't make that in my Tesla Model S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

When had your originally expected yours to arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

30/07, went up one week, then back down, and now week 33

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Bjørn Nyland tests the range of the 40 (under perfect circumstances) and the results are excellent (on the 18" wheels). He even calls it Tesla levels of efficiency, which is a huge compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

Love watching his videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ghk125

Anyone have issues with their i4 stuck at the dealership due to a Stat Code problem with Revenue? Mines there for a week now and I’m being told that they can’t register the car and hence I can’t collect it. Thanks

Advertisement