Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Protest in the Netherlands by Farmers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

If you do a carbon footprint test, the biggest factor is flights, all the those talking about climate change don’t count their own footprint as they are raising awareness. It’s just the latest thing to preach about while doing nothing helpful. If you want to do something then stop flying, I won’t hold my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Well I need my laptop for work and to partake in society, much like phones, so from what you're saying it sounds like we need to change society so we aren't constructing these damaging items and they're not required any more, or at least stop making new ones. We are all part of the problem.

I don't think any poor countries should be encouraged to live as unsustainably as we do in the west now, we all need to find a way of living that isn't quite as damaging to the earth*.

*I don't give us a chance in hell of this happening and war and famine etc. are the only possible outcomes for humanity

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's always the same with greens, you scratch the surface and you'll find a lad who wants the West to commit suicide so we can all go back to living in the 18th century

Apparently they think Russia, India and China are going to join the suicide pact.

Do you think the West can continue living and consuming as is without running into serious problems sooner or later?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You ultimately don't need your laptop or phone any more than an orphan in India digging through a landfill for scraps needs a laptop or phone. The people who build them for you are only satisfying your demand for same.

My point was that you cannot hold those poor peoples' situation up as a target for the West or something to aspire to. Because the status of them being impoverished is (hopefully) temporary. Once that is sorted then they will be massively contributing negatively to the planet. So it is fair to look at their total current contribution in order to get an idea of the magnitude of the issues that will inevitably come from there.

• Advertisement

Where do you get off? I never mentioned Bangladesh, you did. And now I'm a slob? I wouldn't mind if it was even half true, but I'm actually quite conscious of the environment, do my recycling, take public transport when available, reduce down my meat consumption. But because I point out the biggest coming threat is the developing world, I'm a slob?

Yes it can, the West biggest problem is it will cease to exist in a generation given it's birth rates.

You would see this a plus.

I would imagine immigration would make up for birth rates if economic and population growth are the goals

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If you have less children, it will more than be made up by others who choose to have loads of children. All you have accomplished is reduced the proportion of people in the world who may actually care for the environment (yourself & your descendents) and instead others and their children who may not give 2 sh*ts will inherit the earth. The earths population will grow one way or the other - we should be trying to educate all of course, but we must also ensure that our ideas around nature and the preservation of the environment are not lost. By not having children you make it slightly more likely that these ideas will be lost.

These kinds of statistics are based on the weird carbon budgeting rules. If I buy a good I'm seen as responsible for all of its carbon emissions right the way down the chain, which is not really the case.

Yep and as the West's native population dies, its ideals die with it. Any notion of saving the planet will die off with the greens who insist on not having children to save the planet. The irony!

Who insisted on not having children? Wibbs brought it up, not me.

• Advertisement

Oh aye and the people who replace Europeans are going to give a **** about your green agenda 😂

Like I said, an absolute suicide cult that deteremind to take us with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

What a time to be alive, Covid, Russia Ukraine, climate crisis, food crisis, cost of living crisis, recession around the corner, refugee crisis **** weather just goes on and on.

I think we would all be better off turning off that TV and phone and go for a pint

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One of the biggest reasons is overpopulation and one of the biggest reasons things were better in the past in the 50's and 60's was our population was half the size it is today. Fewer people, fewer resources, energy, food and land required. It's inescapable. In the Good Old Days the world population was way under half the size. In 1950 the world population was two and a half billion, today it's nearly eight billion. In the same 1950 environmentalism was barely a thing and dangerous chemicals from industry and farming and human effluent were being regularly dumped straight into our waterways. Within cities rivers were not much better than open sewers. When I was a kid on a clear day with the wind blowing right you could smell the Liffey from the Dublin suburbs. There were no clear air acts etc or any of that either and our city buildings were covered in a layer of smutty black. Bugger all recyling too, save for glass bottles and of course more people repairing stuff and stuff being repairable in the first place. That's another huge bloody problem. Manufacturers specifically making products unrepairable by design, so making it "cheaper" to not repair and go out and buy the New Shiny Thing for the dopamine hit.

Add in rampant consumerism which is the other elephant in the room. On this front alone we are significantly more poluting than our leaded petrol drinking, coal burning, fag smoking, burning rubbish in gardens, feck everything into the bin or down the drains grandparents. I drive an old car. It rolled off the production line in 1999. Since the day it did over half of all plastics that have ever existed have been produced. That's insane to consider. Never mind that recyling plastics is mostly a sham originally dreamt up by the US plastics industry to head off ramifications of environmental laws that were coming along in the 1970's. Now, we may feel better sorting our crap into different coloured bins and it helps a little, but in the face of the level of sheer insane consumption it's pissing into a force ten gale. As I asked of a chap I know who considers himself "green": How many mobile phones have you owned since 2000? All that plastic packaging and coated paper the vast bulk of which which will either be burnt or go into landfill, never mind the phones themselves. He now owns an EV and that's cool, but he's swapped out a new car every four years getting to one and he'll swap that one out too in due course.

In short IMHO we really need a major reset in how we live our lives and the expectations of our lives and that's a long way off and may only come when it's too bloody late. If it isn't already.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Surely you want humanity to be able to carry on without destroying the planet too? Is that a Green agenda?

You were the one who said birth rates aren't up to scratch so the West is finished, do you not think immigration could counteract this?

The population was 8 million on this island before the famine, but people didn't really consume anything except food so nothing was as polluted. It's not down to population it's down to how we live and the amount of waste we produce.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well since Ireland pre famine was a dirt poor agrarian society, that had already lost almost all of her natural forestry, raw sewage was a problem and people lived barely above the level of beasts of the field that's hardly an option to go back to. England was far more industrialised and had more people and was filthy as feck. Dark satanic mills and all that and the Thames in London was so putrid and smelly their parliment regularly closed sessions because of the smell. Never mind the outbreaks of cholera.

Anyway people require more today to live normal lives, halving the population, or certainly not going bloody insane with adding to it as we're regularly being told we must do is the far better bet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Well as I already said, they're not going to put a cap on reproduction any time soon, so if we do want the planet to remain intact, what and how much we consume are all we can really focus on.

Bad news bucko, unless humanity goes nuclear it's not going to destroy the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

I live in the east of the country and there is more of a 'presence' of the protests. Enough people around town with an upside down flag and a red handkerchief on the car antenna. I would presume that the most people cannot stand behind the Farmer's Defence Force. Where the head of the group has likened the plight of Dutch farmers to the victims of the Holocaust.

Back to the teenager arrested in Friesland; I have my doubts if a deliberate shot at the tractor was really necessary. But for a teenager to climb behind the wheel at the end of the day to go to a protest on a motorway with heavy police presence, was a dumb ass decision. Luckily for him he's been released and charges have been dropped.

There's already a natural cap in the west where birthrates are below replacement. Frankly I'd be sticking with that and not bringing more people in. In parts of the world where they're breeding old style more education for women should be a major priority as the more educated women(and men) increases prosperity and lowers birthrates.

Even if we went nuclear we'd not destroy the planet. Indeed if it took out a large enough number of us it might actually help. Chernobyl's biodiversity has shot through the roof since the accident.

As it stands humans are causing one of the larger extinction events in earth's history and we have done since we came along. That is Modern Humans. Neandertals and Erectus and others were around for hundreds of thousands of years and we see no local extinctions in all that time. We show up and you can actually track our migrations out of Africa by local extinction events particularly of large animals. Africa retained the most large animals mainly because they had grown up around us and were far more wary and prone to getting stampy. Australia a good example. A large number of extinctions occurred and sure enough it's when we show up. Ancient Rome wiped out an entire plant species. They denuded their forests so badly it drove their imperial expansion north into where modern Germany is because they had trees. In Tasmania we wiped out the Tasmanian Tiger only a century ago. We even have film footage of the last one. New Zealand is even more clear. It came late to our party. Humans didn't make it there until the 12th century. By the time Europeans show up a couple of centuries later the locals had already wiped out some of the largest flightless birds ever the Moa and one of the largest eagles and a host of other species. In a few centuries. Easter Islanders fúcked their environment up so badly they very nearly made themselves extinct. And that's all before industry came along. The process has been accelerating ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Bangladesh is about 1.5 times the size of Ireland, it has something like 100mn people and 160mn mid century.

No problem there.

Green politics should not just be a vehicle for moralising rich White people, that must change.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Protests in Iran last month made every news outlet in the UK.

Still nothing about the farmers protest.

Hard to trust Western media.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Even then we won’t destroy the planet. We’re doing a pretty good job of making it uninhabitable for people though. That’s the green agenda actually: keep the planet inhabitable to future generations.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

While I agree. I feel some big problems with the green agenda (perceived or otherwise) are

1) A lot of its most public advocates seem to adopt a do as I say not as I do approach....the jetting around to conferences, lavish lifestyles etc

2) Some sacred cow activities that produce large quantities of CO2 that most like doing are off the menu (for now at least)

3) Quite a number of proposed changes merely shift the CO2 production elsewhere..........as long as its off balance sheet for a country its ok if you slash and burn over there etc

4) Regardless of its beneficial effects it looks like it will increase food and energy insecurity in developed countries

5) Its nearly always the smaller business person/producer that gets driven out of business/has to pay for it while large companies/industries (many of them directly responsible through production/misinformation campaigns) get off seemingly scott free (make record profits in some cases)

6) Some of the changes while potentially ruinous to the small guy don't appear to achieve that much in the overall context.....I'm aware that smacks of whataboutery and everyone needs to do their part ...but...its a pretty big whatabout..............how can anyone do anything about developing nations or tell them they cant start living the lifestyles we had?.....................................in fact we seem to want to incentivise them by importing products and incentivising production activities in those countries......people seem to think its hopeless, like a virus we wont be able to halt the destruction of the environment that supports us.

As an aside some of those advocates mentioned in (1) above appear to be heavily invested in alternative products with questionable benefits if you consider things in the round (vested interests in business that benefit from the green agenda - you could argue that's just sound investment/good business but when the ones that advocate also own business that stand to benefit it does give pause for thought)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭bloopy

Attempt justification all you want.

The video clearly shows him driving away and being fired upon.

The police have blantantly lied over this incident and others a few times over this protest.

The only difference is they got caught out with a video this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Mentioned 5 days ago by Reuters. BBC and Sky News not one mention of it if I am correct, theyve an audience to 100s of millions of people. Seen it mentioned on Sky News Australia briefly but nothing on Irish mainstream media and UK.

These protests are going on in an EU country about 350 kilometres from mainland UK.

so you think there’s an agenda to not report on something, except for all the reporting? So if it’s not on Sky news it’s not one western media?????

The Brits have had a few things going on this week. I think you could excuse them.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

6 out of 10 of the largest overall food exporters globally are in Western Europe.

That is who they are gunning for, it won't really cause food shortages in Europe, the very most of the best farm soil in the world is east of the Urals, along with an Ideal climate for growing crops in most of it.

Advertisement