Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The problem is that apart from turf, Ireland has very little in the way of oil or gas. Smog was a serious problem in Dublin in the 1980s and 1970s but for many people, buring coal and turf was a cheap and effective way of heating their homes. There were, I think, Irish power stations buring coal as well as power stations buring turf. The hypocisy of intellectually challenged, virtue signalling, true believers waffling about how damaging burning turf is to the environment while China and India commission new coal burning power stations (they are much greater than Ireland's contribution to Global Warming and "Climate Change" (the climate on this planet is continually changing and has been since it was formed)) shows how completely ignorant those people are of reality.

Mentioning nuclear power as possible alternative is enough to have these people foam at the mouth in rage. There was a proposal for a nuclear power station in Ireland in the 1970s (Carnsore?) but that didn't happen. The war in the Ukraine and the sanctions against Russia show how exposed Ireland is when it comes to fuel supplies but FFG has to appease the Greens. The Greens have them by the short and curlies.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Honestly fascinates me how some don't actually get politics or understand how it works in Ireland , particularly certain issues that may on the surface seem irrelevant or Trivial to them or the country as a whole. Look at the Mica crisis, I don't honestly know how many impacted but I'd say safe to say its a rural and quite localised issue and yet look how its impacted on this government.

Turf may seem a trivial thing, perhaps if I was living in Dublin or another urban location, I'd not fully understand how important it is to Rural folk.

I've learned something over 20 years living in Rural Ireland and that is this ,

All politics is Local and never more so than now. Rural based Government TD'S are suddenly realising this. I'm actually not a fan of Parish pump politics if I'm being totally honest, but on this issue I'm impacted and will fight tooth a nail on the issue and make absolutely no apologies.

No reasonable person dispute pollution Data but I'm afraid when folks have two immediate options, worry about the environment or Freeze for the winter, the choice is quite frankly not that difficult.

This aside from those who'll struggle to afford to heat their homes this winter.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Okey doke. My point is you and your fellow travelers are the ones coming in on the attack. Calling people racists and putin supporters ffs. Rest of us are discussing the government not attacking social media or making up sensational claims.

Agreed. Although I think a reduction in turf needs to be nuanced rather than blanket.

We should indeed be creating and encouraging more self sufficient energy alternatives. It seems any moves we make in that are more token. If we put the same effort we do in enabling data centers and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The government incompetent managment of regulations shafted these people Mark…the government are running from accountability for that.

Why would they attack a party that had nothing to do with it and who support them?

Take your time thinking it through. Sheesh!

He wasnt helping Ukrainians Mark, he was ‘virtue signalling’ that he might in the future.

• Advertisement

Not really as others signalled they would bring one if SF didn’t this time.

Might be a hot summer and a long winter for the minority government

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Other countries are pushing ahead with alternatives and we are talking about turf. If we need to use turf as a last minute resource we can get it no problem. It's not like it's going to get up and walk away.

If we have an energy crisis during the winter I will be surprised if the answer is turf.

We should be ploughing ahead with the alternatives now. Making ourselves as self sufficient as possible.

How damaging will this MNOC be to the stability of the FFG government?

Will the government last until the budget now that it is a minority government? (Will FFG have to indulge in pork barrel politics to get it passed?)

Will the potential leadership challenge in FF result in Martin suffering the same fate as his one time Bertie Ahern cabinet colleague Cowen? (Removed as FF leader but remaining taoiseach.)

Will FF/FG TDs frustrate Ryan's war on turf?

Regards...jmcc

So many possibilities, none a waste of time from an onlookers point of view.

I'd only be concerned that someone will have to pick up the pieces of the mess left behind, probably unlikely the MONC will succeed but I'll have my popcorn ready 😉

• Advertisement

It is the pork barrel politics thing that is going to really cause problems for the budget if there are any more FFG losses. The Independents have form on this and will know which buttons to press. I think that if the budget fails to pass then the government falls. I think that the mica issue and the turf issues will be mentioned during the MNOC speeches but the focus will be on Housing and that's where FFG is weakest.

Regards...jmcc

Yes absolutely agree, no one doubts housing or lack of it and cost of living, Mica are priorities, Turf is not a major issue in the over all context of things of course.

I'd personally preffered a MONC in Darragh O Brien and or specific incompetent ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ahhh, so this isn't about confidence in the government, it is about who leads the opposition. Grubbing around in the dirt for what falls from the top table.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No, he was making a commitment to help rebuild the country.

Just like now, we are helping over 30,000 Ukrainians. I guess you don't like them being here either?

You are making a hash of your argument. There are only so many votes in Donegal and the polls shows us that there will be 2 government seats coming out of there. The Mica lads will drain votes from the other cranks.

Yes really, as they cannot bring another MoC this year, once this one fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The purpose of the No Confidence vote is to embarrass Independent TDs who vote for the Coalition of Chaos for favours.

It's forcing them to condone such FFG highlights as hospital waiting lists, the housing disaster, the rental market disaster, A&E chaos, homelessness figures, cuckoo funds, National debt levels, the Childrens hospital, local government corruption/waste, the revised National Broadband Plan, a failing Climate Action Plan, treatment of clerical abuse survivors, cronyism etc etc etc.

A few backbenchers will be very uncomfortable too but many of them know their days are numbered.

I hope the government survive the vote. I really do. I expect they will but at what cost to votes.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Simon Coveney was in Dublin when he said it blanch.

So MM was over in Kyiv discussing the Rebuilding of Ukraine was he now , whilst Things in Ireland in such a state , his priorities are clearly elsewhere, Virtue signalling and besides he'll be long gone before Ukraine even starts Rebuilding, I suppose its not enough to Take in near 40k refugees, with little or no controls, extraordinarly generous supports and put aside €3 billion next year to help fund on going Virtue signalling whilst making pronouncements there's no magic Money tree when it comes to tackling problems at home 😳 Bonkers stuff altogether and this aside from lack of housing and infrastructure to deal with this Virtue signalling nonsense.

The €2k dinner mentioned again 🙄 , despite evidence SF will get absolutely no income from the event which is being organised by the Australian Chamber of commerce. The comparison with MM travelling to Kyiv is just bizzare , but interestingly, MLM is actually meeting the Irish communities over there as well as supporting the event , it may be a cause of bitterness, Leo would struggle to attract such Ticket prices at a table but he could have gone too but obviously not enough to fill his Twitter feed to bother attending.

MM visit to Kyiv was pointless, presumably costly , albeit no absurd hullabaloo over who was protecting him as with Coveneys visit. Nothing more than a photo OP and Virtue signalling, I'd doubt he thought much about Ukraine before March 2022 and will care less if ousted but maybe might rekindle interest again if he gets a Job in Europe which seems , his, Leo and Coveneys goal.

It politics blanch and as HISTORY shows they will all do this.

In my opinion and a lot of pundits, the outcome will be of interest.

If you were not attached to a party you would see this too and be as interested.

• Advertisement

SDs, Inds, PBP Lab can all bring one. Don't be worrying mark, there is plenty to hold the government to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I can't believe there is a single real person out there who shares your belief that MM's visit to Kyiv was pointless and merely virtue signalling, thereby logically making it less important than MLMD's shindig junket to Australia.

Absurd.

A free trip and dinner to Australia is more important??? Lads, the sun has got to you today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The other cranks as you call them are fully behind the Mica lads so why would they loose votes and seats. Only government TD's will loose seats because what the government is doing for Mica does not go far enough.

Wow that was some rant

Taoiseach goes over to support a country in the middle of a war and this is the reaction from someone who wants to talk about turf

Well done MM and the rest of the government for showing our support to Ukraine people. This is what the majority of the Irish people are all about, showing our support to a country when it needs it.

Nothing absurd at all and I'm certainly not alone in my opinion of the silly, utterly pointless trip , I know you'll disapprove but lots of verified reactions on Twitter and indeed on a number of threads.

As for free Travel , I don't presume to know MLM 's travel arrangements but Leo certainly had , perhaps reach out and perhaps ask how he got those very specific details 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

On the head...

MM says he's looking forward to laying out all the government's achievements. Read off a post-it?

Actually what's more fascinating is that Sneaky meeting of the FF parliamentary Meeting in MM absence, got more media attention than his silly Trip to Kyiv 😁

Wasn't Leo at Wimbledon during the week...IN THE MIDDLE OF A HOUSING AND COST OF LIVING CRISS????

Oh my gawd how dare he.

You can't say that 🤣🤣 but I do hope he enjoyed the strawberries and cream , delightful, I'm told albeit a little pricey 😁

Humble pie, however quite Bitter 😏

• Advertisement

Not sure why you are asking here? It’s the opposition supporters who have a 24x 7 surveillance on government TDs, imagine he once went to a concert in his spare time, the cheek of him

Advertisement