Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The big question is what would constitute a "victory" for Putin and the regime. It seems very unclear - I was reading that even Solovyov / Skabayeva and their chums on state TV cannot agree on this, with furious debates in recent days what would constitute a victory and what would be a humiliating defeat. Some of them think that if the war ended tomorrow, what they have taken so far in Ukraine would amount to an embarrassing and humiliating setback.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Kherson looks very promising alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

At Bakhmut direction Russian army shelled Bakhmut, Spirne, Ivano-Daryivka, Berestove, Pokrovske, Vershyna, Volodymyrivka, Opytne, Toretsk, Zaitseve, Kodema, Klynove and New York. Russian aviation conducted airstrikes near Vershyna and Vuhlehirsk power station, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

how many more months of artillery can the offence have?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If Ukrainian rocketry can attack Russian supply lines at their narrowest points and even launch a ground offensive in time, they could cut off a large swathe of occupied territory from ground supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rogber

Ukraine's ability to defend itself and/or take back land are largely dependent on support from the US, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss opinions coming out of the country's political circles. None of us know what is going to happen or how far the US is prepared to go to maintain support, particularly with elections looming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But there is no counter narrative in the US to 'go easy' on Putin. Most people hate him (apart from a few nuts on Fox News like Tucker Carlson). People are nearly forgetting that it is the US who are criticised the most by Putin in his speeches, not the countries of Europe.

Post edited by Strazdas on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Don't worry . The thumbnail is as graphic as the video gets. Worth the watch and SFW.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

An independent and as neutral as possible report minus the usual bullshíte from both sides from an actual phd level military expert in command of troops, who also trained with Ukrianian forces in his capacity as a NATO commander. He stays neutral right up to the end. In essence optimism is good, but being mindful of reality is not bad. It's a good channel to watch and they release reports in English on the regular. They've been pretty much spot on so far.

Holding the Russian lines as they stand will be bloody difficult for Ukraine, driving them back to their border militarily is pipedream level stuff currently. He also makes the point that as it stands the Russians hold a very large percentage of Ukraine's resources. If they take the whole south coast Ukraine will lose the majority of their resources and exports. The irony is that in resources alone if the Russians had taken Kyiv and most of the north and west of the country and Ukraine had instead defended the south like they did Kyiv, while it would be a morale crusher to lose the capital Ukraine as an entity would be in a far better place, now and in the future.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Russia taking the whole south coast is about as fantastical as Ukraine pushing Russia back to their borders though. Its just not going to happen bar a catastrophic collapse in the Ukrainian armed forces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What we're seeing now with the first chink of light that the Ukrainians are finally making some difference. Is disheartening from some western commentary. Maybe it's a threat to what comes next and an upheaval never seen before in Russia. Maybe it's realism. Maybe Putin sees it and for the first time is scared of what comes next.

Maybe. Maybe. Maybe.

But nows not the time for western governments to ease up on military and financial aid.

The laws of nature and humanity require the Russian military to be driven to extinction.

If some governments have humanity and know it is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

For that reason alone, Ukraine can't afford to negotiate. It would be fairly disastrous for the West also, to allow Russia to control such vital resources.

An Austrian source, Austria who's intelligence is riddled with russian's and isn't a NATO member.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

His video's have provided the best and most consistent analysis of the conflict since it started imo.

That's a view, I wouldn't be so sure Austria has the best information available however

Didn't the Russians replace the local separatists with Russians already? The "war" in the East for the last 8 years was mostly just fuckery. Like letting your neighbour replant their garden and then just cutting any flower that appear and maybe digging a little hole. Not really destroying anything but just enough that nothing will improve.

Kazakhs seem to be making more noise. Interesting times ahead. The stuff in Uzbekistan I can't get a read on really, the region with the hassle is supposedly close to Kazakhstan but would surely be silly of the Kazakhs to be stirring there right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rogber

I hope it remains that way and some Republican doesn't come along and start with "why are we funding wars in foreign countries instead of building better schools and hospitals etc", even Afghanistan was considered a "waste of American money" at the end and they just handed it back to the Taliban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Consider the density of troops at the Russian front lines compared to the already captured areas behind them.

One should hardly consider those captured areas as lost forever when it's solely the high density presence on the front line that is preventing infiltration.

Also, it may be a tad easier to recapture "rubblescapes" as opposed to cities and towns. I know some will say it's more difficult due to the cover provided by said rubble but I think that's only if infantry stay behind.

How perfect would it be for Ukraine if Russia had to redeploy their forces to quell unrest in other Russian influenced regions.

I'm sure that some players are encouraging such timely unrest.

Post edited by Curious_Case on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not instantaneously, which is why the videos are usually a few weeks behind, but in that time they can put together a very comprehensive and professional analysis of events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

China will not be breaking western sanctions and supplying western tech to Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭wassie

Even if Democrats lose in November lend lease etc is already signed and Biden there for two more years, US spent almost a billion a day on Afghanistan for two decades this is peanuts and very popular with industrial military complex.

Exactly this. Make no doubt there is a bucketload of money to be made in the US pumping out weapons for offshoring, helping the domestic economy at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Was out last night with a Russian work colleague who just spent a couple of weeks in Moscow seeing family (via a somewhat circuitous route of course, including Turkey and various ‘Stans’). this is a pro-western individual, here for many years, with an Irish wife and young family. Not some Russia apologist, so I believe what he tells me.

i asked him what the mood was in Moscow among young people. Are sanctions being felt, are people nervous, frustrated with the regime etc 

he told me that, yes there are many boarded up shop fronts where foreign stores used to be, but apart from that things are utterly normal. Says that the war has brought people together against the west in a way he has never seen before, including young people. There is a refreshed sense of Russian solidarity. The bars are full, everyone’s enjoying the summer in Gorky Park and the place is buzzing just like normal

people are a little nervous about the winter - shortages, prices etc. But seemingly no more so than here and across the west

I know myself, from my company, that a lot of people being reporting as leaving the country are doing so because their western companies are relocating them. Most of this is to Dubai, which seems like it’s turning into a mini Moscow right now. It’s corporate relocations, not a fleeing of young people from Putins Russia. My MNC has relocated about 30 from the Moscow office to Dubai

long story short, there is seemingly little material anti Putin sentiment among young people and Muscovites. There is broad support for what is happening by people who do have access to non state media. 

my own personal experience is that my Russian friends (and I have visited Moscow and other places a few times) have gone very quiet. We used to have regular chats over Facebook and IG. They have definitely drawn back, which probably reflects what I have written above

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I womder how those young people would feel about being called up to fight? Or their families?

Or the families who have already lost husbands sons brothers

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Muscovites are fairly underrepresented in the Russian armed forces. They are happy to let the poorer regions supply the bulk of the soldiers.

I think its fairly clear that there is zero chance of any kind of popular uprising in Russia. If they support this so be it, its just blood on their hands really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Was Ireland Threatened again ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Probably posted a couple of months back but may have got lost in the noise back then. Interesting thread on artillery for those of us that knew nothing about the topic before this war. Information overload for me but I've picked up a bit from it.

The same Twitter user then explains the difference between M142 HIMARS and M270 MLRS.

From the second thread this and the following tweets were very insightful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement