Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The recession is by far the easier and less painful route, not pain free.

I see huge dilemma here.We passed 2008 recession printing money.

How we gonna come trough this recession when we can't print more money because printing more money will make recession worst ?

If we can't print more money how will survive PIGS with them huge debts when rates will rising up ?

I don't think EU will come trough this and only way will be say Goodbye to euro and let every EU country have own currency.There was plenty talks from many experts about new currencies zones already.

Next,the majority of EU was riding on Germany neck,well France was helping too,they both was EU main engines.Germany will be on knees now the situation in France not much better.

I am not surprised why ECB stone dead quiet.Because in every direction they will put finger in they will lose it together with hand.They basically walking on mine field.

And I am pretty sure Putin knew what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Love the picture, At least they can afford booze there. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Mullinabreena

To be fair he did say work from home side didn't mention the PUP. I saved a fortune during covid. No going out, I got paid an extra 12.5% just to go to work, and as much overtime as I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whatever about the rest . What newly created jobs are of poor pay and conditions. I'm not seeing any examples of that . In fact entirely the opposite. You won't get staff unless it's reasonable pay and conditions. Is this just hyperbole?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Well if inflation keeps going higher and the euro is only worth wiping your arse with after a while. It wont matter how much anyone is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Corporate debt is crazy and alot of companies not even making profits being able to borrow crazy amounts and only looked good because of there speculative share price. Interest rate increases will kill these companies and could as you cas pop this corporate debt bubble

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well,the only way they could save if they had jobs when majority of the country was on PUP.

No they weren't, savings on deposit sky rocketed during the pandemic to record levels, up to 4 times the pre pandemic norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

again, america is dealing with the same global issues, unemployment levels are relatively low everywhere, but again, many income earners are simply unable to meet their most critical of needs, property, health care etc etc, most countries have been experiencing hyper inflated property markets for decades, and now actual inflation has reared its head, and to add insult, rates are rising, so..... get ready for a surprise!

i.e. central banks are raising into extreme weakness, again, get ready......

we ve been experiencing this for years now, yes, incomes are on the rise, but younger generations are in serious trouble, many employment contracts are actually very poor, again, yes this is starting to change, but change takes time.... and these changes are probably not going to be quick enough for many, i.e. we re in big trouble.... we ve done everything we can to remove social safety nets, to the point, they simply no longer exist for most, so again, get ready!

yup, we potentially could be heading for another 'minsky moment' here! watch this space i guess!

Segments of the Lithuanian population starting to get disgruntled. Unilaterally blocked gas imports and went onto LNG which costs a lot more. Currently 19% inflation with -0.5% interest rates and 20% of it's exports went to Russia. A bunch of masochists those lads

German's starting to panic buy also

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

heard there was couple of other countries currently experiencing in excess of 20% inflation, for the life of me i cant remember which countries, must be mental though. was recently at a talk with Argentinean economist martin lousteau, he was explaining life under hyper inflation, sounds impossible to live under

as of June

- Camille Paglia

Minus 0.5% interest rates, what are they going to do ?

- Camille Paglia

thank you, think theres some African countries running wild also....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

With Russia almost exhausted militarily and the EU possibly facing existential issues this winter, negotiations to ‘regularise’ relations with Russia may be coming down the track. It won’t immediately solve the inflation issue in the EU but it cannot be solved without Russian fuel.

whats currently at that rate? its clearly obvious our current inflationary issues have virtually nothing to do with our money supplies, the truth is, our economies are being starved of such, the answer, more money, and quickly.....

id beg to differ on that one, its time for the alternatives to shine, i.e. renewables and nuclear.....

- Camille Paglia

thought so, central banks are not equipped in dealing with non monetary induced inflation, this has the potential to be an absolute disaster, we re in a wait and see game now, lets hope something doesnt go kaboom

i do think central banks should introduce dual rates, some negative, some positive, it sounds like a very workable idea

• Advertisement

We still don't have any information not about the number of deposit holders which was saving not about them average incomes and positions.

My own opinion the people which had them savings rised simple put them money on account which weren't invested to new car ,build extension or weren't invested into business which been stopped and many other things.Some of them money been made during with extra activities as selling masks or other equipment during pandemic.

Essential mostly were on minimal wages as grocery shops some better incomes as health system but whole or biggest parts of manufacturing were on lockdown .

The savings still rising during with uncertainty of the future.Nearly on every corner in my town people talking about recession coming.

yea its impossible to know the exact situation of every saver, we just dont know, but it is important to recognise, not everyone is currently saving

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Huh? It's not my opinion, savings on deposit reached record highs largely because people were saving more and not spending.

There is massive costs associated with getting to work, a large amount of these were parked for a considerable amount of time.

Again none of this is my opinion, all information from banks and the central bank.

A bit late for that. An impossible situation, it is like someone taking poison to cure cancer.

- Camille Paglia

yup, but this was evident before rates were raised, they are in an impossible situation, but adding fuel to the inferno, generally doesnt end too well, we clearly need a huge public injection of money, and quickly, or a whole pile of businesses are gonna go bust! dual rates could help this situation, think its worth a try, but they probably wont do it

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Too much demand out there - the only way to reduce this is by raising rates. Purchasing power has been hammered by inflation, leaving it unchecked will cause far greater damage. The fed has realised this thankfully and are now aggressive in reigning it in.

All you mmt liberal fools have been found out during covid and nearly all silenced now thankfully, but you still fill this website with complete nonsense about money supply. At this stage I think you're just trolling everyone with this spam.

oh ffs, this sh1t again, again, this is not monetary induced inflation, its primarily supply and energy induced, our economies are being starved of money, as most money created has only been used to inflate the price of assets, i.e. this largely does not make it into the real economy, primarily staying within the financial sectors, businesses, particularly sme's, and people, need money, and fast.... this is why covid supports such as pup and ewss etc, worked very well, providing this money....

mmt have no been found out, an element of the theory is in fact correct, the real economy urgently needs money, please stop using our abilities to create money such as qe, to simply inflate asset prices, its not working!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

Renewables and nuclear will not solve the current crises. They are options to solve future crises and are still years away. The crises needs to be dealt with by this winter. This is a real threat to the Euro and the EU. We have too many politicians in power who have never had to make real hard decisions, just go along with what their advisers tell them and never answer questions as per their media training.

very true alright, but our advancements in renewables has been astonishing, its now possible to have an off shore wind farm up and running within a couple of years, it truly is time to do this stuff now, but i do realise, the next couple of years are looking scary. yea, our political systems are truly unprepared for this, we ve left our energy networks go to sh1t over the years, and this is now showing. we clearly need to get the hurry up in regards rapidly expanding our networks, and creating widescale european network integration, i just cant ever see nuclear being introduced here, we re just too strong anti, for the moment anyway, could change if we start experiencing regular outages though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Now is the time to drill barryroe,

Advertisement