Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Lifted from Euronews.

. Moscow councillor gets seven years in prison for criticising war in Ukraine

Moscow city councillor Alexei Gorinov was sentenced to seven years in prison on Friday for denouncing Russia's war in Ukraine.

Gorinov was found guilty of "disseminating clearly false information" about the Russian military using his "official duties" and doing so as part of an organised group motivated by "political hatred", according to Judge Olesya Mendeleyeva.

"The defendant's rehabilitation is impossible without a sentence of deprivation of liberty," the magistrate said before sentencing him to seven years in a penal colony.

Before she handed down the sentence, the trial audience applauded the defendant, leading to the expulsion from the courtroom of spectators who had come to support him.

Stay classy Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Euronews footage from inside the courtroom.

In Spanish but you get the jist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd say there's a real chance for the Ukrainians to strike a crippling blow against the Russians by taking out that Crimean bridge. I think they finally have the proper long range accurate weaponry to take out that structure. And the Russians know it. It's why they have just taken measures in the last few days to secure it. A bridge like that is incredibly difficult to put out of commission. But now, the opportunity is there. And with the logistical problems the Russians are about to run into, this could be a hammer blow.

All Eyes On Rafah

If they're pushing back in the South and are leaving the East for now then a bombardment of Crimea along with cutting every piece of infrastructure connecting it should follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When the Russian army collapse it will come hard and fast. At present they are totally dependent on there artillery for both defence and offence. If this collapses ( in my opinion it not if it's when,) there whole present strategy will collapse with it.

UA forces will be able to roll back the front very fast. What it took Russia a month to take will be rolled back in days. The biggest issue the UA will find is trying not to let there army get too far ahead of there supply logistics.

I expect the UA to be dropping Putin his Christmas presents at the gate of the Kremlin before Christmas

Slava Ukrainii

Well it might be Friday but Vladimir lost the plot yesterday.

As an old adversary of mine used to say as he threw the biro on the desk

''the game is up''

But it's more like Sherlock Holmes''

'' the game's afoot ''

Give it 3-4 weeks

Slava Ukrainii

There we have folks, 3-4 weeks til the end of the world, enjoy it while yous can!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

At this stage I would question if there are any nukes in Russia and not just siloes. we have seen the rampant corruption. Showing a few ballistics is not the same as saying you have 3k or whatever.

• Advertisement

I did not say it would end but we will see it starting to see it turn in Ukraine's favour

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Bass. I've learnt a lot about Farming beef from you, mostly good,lol.

I think you are wrong here, the Russian force may well collapse but it is more likely to regroup advance at savage cost and savage behaviour.

It'll take the Donbass, how much after that?. Russia will think nothing of a 100k dead soldiers and it's populace will tolerate deprivation and shortage that few here would.

If you think they'll get anywhere close to Moscow without half of Europe being nuked then let me know where you're getting, I hear there's a drought at the minute. 🤣

I do not expect them to invade Russia. However I do expect that we will see significant changes in this war over the next while. Russia cannot replace the military equipment it's has expended.

It will take a year to replace 25% of what it lost in the last 4 months. If any I think it's when it's artillery collapses the UA will have virtually free rein.

Any tanks or APV's it has left have hit there major overhaul stage. the UA has not deployed it's armoured capability yet. As it gain the advantages in artillery it will virtually roll up the Russian army.

The big question will be if Russia can hold Crimea.

Slava Ukrainii

All modem wars are dependent on technology and logistics. It's down to now how long the Russian artillery can last.

They never attained air superiority. There advantage in tanks and APV's never materialised. They have not mobilised because they fear the conquences. There Naval superiority proved to be not decisive. They have virtually used up all there IC missiles.

All they have is there fixed artillery. When that comes under pressure the game is up.

Slava Ukrainii

The probability remains though that they have artillery shells and pieces in numbers that could be sustained for years.

Russia has long been about such pieces and equipment and has Always spent accordingly. Even under Peter the Great, Russia put artillery above all else.

One never knows but there is good reason to suspect that Russia will still have plenty of artillery and shells no matter how long the conflict.

It may well run out of everything else before that but the Red Army will be going this year and well in to next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Again all those stockpiles of dumb munitions have a use by date. Would you wager they said they replaced them and trousered the money ?

There certainly is only so far they can go with it but I think we are a long way from that yet.

Going by other conflicts. Anything in the last 30 years should be ok.

They used alot of left over WW2 shells in the 80s.

The Afghan Army had Ww1 tanks in use in fighting them, for whatever use that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm not entirely surprised by his description and it tallies with other reports we've heard from Moscow in the media. The idea of mass protests in Russia or people turning against Putin is a total non runner.

But let's see how this pans out in the longer term. I'm not sure the implications have even dawned yet on the Russian public of being a permanent pariah state on the global stage. They are nowhere even near seeing how bad things might become, politically, socially and economically - even people in the Soviet Union arguably had more freedoms than this.

Putin's Russia is by an order of magnitude more free, more open,less brutal.

There really is no comparison. It's not that Russia today is nice but pointing out the historical reality of Soviet Russia.

There is no comparison ..

Could Putin even get back to half the control that there was in Gorbachev's time, no, not a hope and Gorby was a gentle by party standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Shells maybe fine stockpiled for years, problem is getting them to the artillery on the front line. With major arms depots blown up and over 100km from the front line, it makes supplying those artillery pieces extremely slow. Not to mention said artillery barrels need to be also replaced.

Peter the great was over 400 years ago, don't you believe wars have changed since then?

Were at the stage now where Russia is lobbing artillery blindly at Ukraine, while Ukraine are conducting precision strikes now on the Russians.

Russians took about 3 months to take 20 square miles of territory. The 20% being thrown about is mainly from their initial trust (when certain key figures in the Donbas were working with Russians and Ukraine lacked serious western arms)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Pre February 24th maybe? They are effectively cut off from the western world with all Russian flights banned from entering western airspace. Their sports teams and athletes are banned from all international competitions, including at underage level (something that never happened to the USSR at any point in the 1960s, 1970s or 1980s) and from all cultural events (Eurovision, ballet, theatre, music etc). There was no equivalent to the sanctions against the regime obviously, as they had a closed economy in Soviet times. State media since the invasion can not be said to be much different to how it was in the USSR with all independent TV and radio stations plus newspapers shut down by the government.

This could be nearly on a Green thread.

Moscow is not cut off from the western world. They may be flying to Dubai and Turkey or the "Stans" and so on. But the fights are flying.

Moscow on flight radar24.

And just for the heck.

Same time a picture of France.

Edit : it does look like any international flights into or out of Russia can only go to/from Moscow.

Post edited by Say my name on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

As Ukraine is getting more mobile artillery, Russia have a huge problem. Practically all of theirs is fixed and make easier targets. They can’t drive along fire off a dozen shells and move off like Ukraine can with western artillery.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Especially with the chap who’s wife owns billions of Russian assets in the running for the pm job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rogber

Sixty year old jailed for 7 years in Russia for criticising the war. A reminder that there are some good people there, this takes real courage:

But a shame on the country that such voices are extremely rare. The government can jail a few isolated people, they couldn't jail a million if they spoke out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Christ, they need better artists. Both futures for the kid look equally horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

And on the right side it will be those soldiers that return home after a 12 month mission just in time to see their child born.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The smart answer might be that a few ballistic missiles landing in their midst might change their tune, which is fortunately very unlikely for them at the moment. But it matters little, it's how the Russian administration prosecute their war that matters. If they are inevitably required to bring in conscription, how would that go down? People can be blasé when there's no immediate impact on them or their families. As many have pointed out, as long as the 'west' continues to support Ukraine both militarily and economically, this will be a long war. And how can Russia sustain that without substantial impact on the ordinary Russian citizen? P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am in a happy mood today thanks to the rugby so here is something on the humorous side.

Russia on week 1 of the invasion of Ukraine. 'everything is going to plan we are mighty we are might we are invincible'

Russia on week 2 'we will defeaaaeeta aalll those natzzies'

Week 3 'everything is ok'

week 4 'watch it... watch it... we v'will nuke you'

Week 5 'We have mega wapper unstoopppl missiles' [this is Putin speaking remember he has a funny voice in case people missed it]

week 10 'NATO is bad it is all NATO'S faulty and Joe Bediaans faulty and Hillery Ckintons fault. [this is still Putin talking in his funny voice again]

week 17 ' were are mighty and will vill turn off the gas and de-strip the world... you ave been v'warred no gas no oil no food no voddaka' [at this stage Putin accent is sounding just daft and slightly drunk]

Dan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement