Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housing Ukrainian refugees?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Anything you like - but standard for all seekers of protection. It needs to apply to all of them, with the reason for qualification for protection, not just for economic betterment - just because there are problems in a country is not enough. Reason for refusal must be given by the authority.

Any appeal for a refusal has to be timely and well documented and no further information can be added. A refusal on appeal has to be final, otherwise repetitive appeals follow. Expulsion must follow on from a failed appeal (otherwise, what is the point).

There are some seekers in direct provision for over a decade - that is inhuman and the very opposite for existence of an asylum process. Whatever the result, a refusal is better than constant delays in limbo. If they have come here for a better life, surely DP is not it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

correction based on GNP ireland has halfed its foreign aid which peaked in 2008 at o.6 percent of gnp.

and in the eu its at best average based on percentage of GNP where ireland gives around o.3 percent of gnp and the top european nations are around 0.9 percent of gnp

this might also give you a little indication how much more those 40 billion from the eu are worth,given that in 2000 0.3 percent gnp in foreign aid was worth 250 milion and in 2019 that was 870 million

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

GNP is a bad measure for Ireland.

The MNC figures grossly alter and inflate our figures so it is invalid to compare it with other EU states.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Thank you for the statistics. I'm sure that the money could be put to much better use in Ireland for people here who genuinely need that money, Irish people. We are spending a fortune, Christ only knows how much on hotels, guest houses and B&B's for scam artists from around the world while still sending hundreds of millions abroad. Why did our foreign aid peak in 2008? Oh yeah, the bubble burst and the IMF stepped in and stepped on our necks. The reality is sinking in with many not just in Ireland but around Europe, that a huge number of Ukrainians arriving as refugees are from areas unaffected by war and who are simply taking advantage of the opportunity to get to the EU.

DP is a roof over their heads, 3 meals a day, clothes on their backs, medical cards and free education. If they pop out a kid or 2 here then they are more than likely here to stay. They're in DP for so long because of the unlimited appeals they can make. It should be a decision reached and if someone doesn't qualify they they are deported straight away. We can't afford this anymore, we never really could. I hate to say it, but I can see the same thing coming down the road with Ukrainians if when their visas expire they have to go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...the real reality is, our political and economic ideologies are starting to collapse, we have plenty of money to resolve these issues, without inciting racial tensions, we ve just decided, the best thing to do with all of this money is to just keep (re)inflating asset prices with it, i.e. trickle down is a bust!

...again, afford it, damn right we can! stop using money to keep inflating asset prices!

many of these folks simply dont have homes to go to, we have decided to effectively wreck their homes, hence why theyre here!

well that is the problem being a tax heaven for multinationals which is the real problem not taking enough tax from big companies not the ukranian refugees and finance aid . the 13 bilion apple money would have gone a long way.

i understand you have a me me me approach and in a way that makes sense but like it or not this is a globalized world and ireland is one of the richest nations and solidarity is also important .

anyway i see we wont agree there but i do agree ireland as a nation could distribute wealth better in ireladn as well, as abroad .

At least we can agree that we won't agree. I love your naivete that Ireland is a rich nation, on paper perhaps but not for the very many people already struggling from one pay check to the next. All it takes is for the big tech companies to be unable to recruit staff from abroad to relocate to Ireland because our cost of living expenses are too high and we'll see an exodus of those companies. Ireland's leprechaun economics are a global joke. I make no apologies for putting my own family and the people of Ireland before the needs of any other country.

The price of diesel, petrol and home heating fuels as well as solid fuels are through the roof. The price inflation and gouging that's happening in every sector of our economy is atrocious and it's all only going to get worse. People are already struggling and then there's the global recession that's on the way. Meanwhile the Irish government has put Ukrainians ahead of it's own people and continues to invite more and more. It's been almost 3 weeks since we had an update on the number of Ukrainians who've arrived, it was 39,000. Strange how the numbers we were having reported daily have stopped, it's almost like the public mood has changed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement