Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspected case of Foot and Mouth in UK with rapid diversion into Agribusiness policies and politics.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Who is insisting on the meat that they are eating being under 30 months ? Is the consumer paying less for the meat if it is over thirty months ? No .

At the time of the 2019 protests the German supermarket reps were quoted as saying that they had no issue with age of the beef.

It is a throwback to the BSE issue and particularly to the OTMS as it applied in the UK . It is a complete scam that two animals of otherwise identical parameters achieve two different prices because of a days difference in age while the consumer pays the same price for both end products .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There's probably a reason for the 30mth but they won't give into bulying either, especially by a supplier, sheep farmers give out a lot about the weight limits, even heard one sayin taht they could cut a bit off the chop if it didn't fit in the trays, you couldn't make it up really.

We got a factory tour one time and if you saw where they fill the trays you'd realise how little farmers know about meat processing.

Probably be gone long ago if farmers didn't make such an issue of it, they pretty much ignore it in the marts I hear

Post edited by wrangler on

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

There possibly WAS a reason .Time has moved on.

You don’t have to know anything about processing to know that paying a supplier two different prices for the same product while charging your customer the same is skimming .

Nobody is bullying them -and that is the problem . They have gotten used to dealing with pussies .

Framers in general must be happy with teh status quo, they certainly wont support aggravating the factories, don't know if their pussies thiugh...not the ones I've dealt with anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Good loser

You don't know, do you? You've no idea if they have a reason? The supposition in the first instance should be that they have a reason - else why would they have the rule. My recollection is, for instance, that the Chinese absolutely insisted on the 30 months - when they were specifying. Also that the Brit supermarkets insisted on it. A lot of this could be buyers throwing their weight around - trying to impress their bosses/boards. I remember, on a number of occasions, once in America, being told that in tasting trials for beef flavour the Holstein scored highest!!

Some weeks ago there was some summit in Brussels, maybe a Nato occasion, and they described the 'leaders' as being served 'Holstein steaks'. Mirabile dictu!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

I think I know the reason(s)...and no one has convinced me otherwise yet....

Encourage higher throughput

Reduce prices

Take away ability of farmer to withold stock as once they go over spurious age limit you will lose money so heads you lose tails they win if you do or dont withhold....anyone that holds gets less for their animal which could well have better quality meat than a younger animal fed grain etc.....the larger number that do will have to have higher throughput at lower prices/lower margin per head

With some types it also increases the amount of meal you need to get them fit in time so that's good for your friendly merchant etc

It doesnt increase the quality of the beef to kill them earlier and earlier imo (unless its a veal type product you are aiming at)......beef thats from a mature unstressed animal given time to fatten naturally on pasture with a variety of species etc would be best....more marbelling, more flavoursome etc.....should be marketed as the real quality product it is instead of penalised....

I see a lot of heads saying killing younger will reduce GHGs...all about efficiency they say, I'd like to examine their claims with a fine tooth comb.....or maybe not even that fine toothed a comb given these are the geniuses that failed to account for the dairy calf in dairy expansion.......

As far as I can see their brand of efficiency = more intensive production, more inputs, more debt, less control of your own destiny and possibly even an increase in GHGs.....

Post edited by amacca on

Conspiracy theorist I see.

I don't understand from your piece how you figure a guy loses be selling under the 30 months. Stock can be let go over 30 and if one waits enough of an interval the price cut can be negated - I do that every Autumn with 4/5 stock. Also the price can increase after they've passed the 30 months or the grading cna get better. So it's not a certainty always. Best be alert and nimble.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,835 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ironically, it makes less difference allowing them to go over 30 months if they don't grade well anyway.

My Dad likes his sunday roast. He never forgot that the beef price here went so high (cuz of exports apparently) that he had to go without for a time during that outbreak. After everyones foot dipping and tyre spraying he was priced out and industry cleaned up (maybe). If it came back he would help spread it. If he had a way to get it and spread it he probably would he was so disgusted by what happened.

Not unlike the gouging thats happening now, but we blame Brexit, Covid, War yada yada, look at reported profits from some of the companies going around.

If he spread it here, the price of his beef would have gone up even more.

• Advertisement

Opportunistic price gouging arseh*les

Actually I saw 2 stories about 2 farmers in court lately, 1 for shooting swans cuz they were eating his grass. Swans apparently picked his fields bare. Simple solution is take the land off him. He'll never have to worry about getting every last penny out of his fat cows that he had to shoot a few swans.

Another lad did so much damage with a digger chasing some stupid EU payment that it'll take 80 years for the area to recover, cut down 100s of years old trees, routed out ditches with nesting birds, smashed up the nests. Evidence discovered. Pleaded guilty. Comical thing though, he gets another EU payment to sow bushes/ditches back in place.

Pooooooor farmers

Ah sure there is nothing more Irish than bitterness and begrudgery. In your case, it appears to be accentuated by ignorance. However that is not unexpected.

Farmers don't set prices for beef ya eejit. Meat factories and supermarkets do

You can save your pennies and buy land if you want. If you can't afford it then just work harder or get better educated to get a better job

Yea, I really didn't know that......not at all.

Here ya go. Knock yourself out

You'll be doing without a lot of Sunday roasts to save up, but it's there if ya want to make the effort and buy some land and show us all how it is done.

Custodians of the land and pass it on better shape to the next generation.

I heard this line on Ear to the Ground one week. Funny one.

If you are Irish, it is likely that somewhere in the past few generations you had an ancestor farmer who owned land. Somewhere along the way that was either lost or drank or was just passed down to someone else and didn't end up with you. Whoever has it now is probably taking good care of it and you have to move on and get over it.

Mayo farmer caught tipping full silage trailer of used silage wrap into river. Didn't bury it in the field like the rest of the Custodians.

There's gougers in every walk of life, i know of one such cretin locally....however I paid the guts of 400 euros at a bring centre this year to have it recycled ....I have to supply them with a code which tracks where the plastic was bought etc.....I saw farmers from far and wide there + a lot of my neighbours

I'd imagine from this yearly occurrence the majority don't do what you suggest and its more than a little unjust to tar all with the same brush.

I'm not sure I understand all of your post

You said

"I don't understand from your piece how you figure a guy loses be selling under the 30 months"

I'm not saying he loses by selling under 30 months....

I'm saying he potentially loses if he sells over 30 months and that's a bullshit arbitrary age limit which disadvantages all farmers selling beef.

I'm saying this means the pressure is on to sell under the 30 months and this means lads will aim to do that.....

I'm saying this is not advantageous to farmer for the following reasons

1) In general it encourages a more intensive style of production to get them fit under the 30 months which means a higher volume of beef is hitting the processors as lads try to chase profits by having more heads which lowers overall price for all.

2) This obviously (to me at least)means more inputs so more cost associated with production...on a product where the prices are reducing due to the volume being produced......the inputs (and thus the 30 month limit) are an even bigger issue on the poor quality dairy x calf selected for short gestation and ease of calving (so small and usually poor growth rates and bad conformation etc) .....more and more of these seem to be coming on stream year on year in my experience.....

I'm further saying I would have little problem with a 30 month limit if there was any real scientific underpinning or basis for it other than a handy lever to bring down price in 2 ways....a) anything over 30 months gets penalised b) it incentivises more stock turnover on amore regular basis therefore more throughput ...... I say there is no basis for it as I happen to know some of the finest tasting beef in the world (kobe aside) comes from animals that can be 6/7 years old (even more in some cases)...I also know from experience having had some of my own (over the 30 months) slaughtered and divided amongst family......and as for the main reason older can be better.....marbelling (fat in the muscle develops and more complexity of flavour can develop if animal given time and the diet is varied/natural etc......(so in addition we could be supplying a product at less than its true potential a lot of the time...which is kind of shooting ourselves in the foot)....I often wonder if we couldn't get dome sort of a PGI (protected status for our product) or work towards something like it with a mainly grass fed older animal with a varied diet etc

As an aside some other poster mentioned the Chinese factory wanting to keep 30 month limit it as if it was some sort of justification for keeping it......had to laugh at that...as if they wouldn't want to try keep a cheaper larger volume supply coming

I'm further saying the 30 month doesn't make much sense to me in terms of a green agenda either..........this efficiency and slaughtering at lower ages seems (at least to me) to mean even more heads/throughput, more inputs and more GHGs produced.....I can't get my head around how it's good for the farmer.....good for merchants and processors I can definitely see that

If anyone can show me the error of my ways I'll accept I'm wrong and move on but tbh I think it would get good for all farmers (in terms of beef prices) the less pressure lads are under to sell....if even a small percentage of farmers were more able/willing to hold stock if the spurious 30 month devaluation putting them under pressure to sell was removed I could see it being beneficial for all

I suppose I think its a total bullshit regulation with no scientific basis kept in place because of the reasons above....if you think that's Conspiracy fair enough......I await your reasoned explanation and I'll eat humble pie if you prove me wrong.....

You are looking for a 'scientific basis' for the 30 month rule? There is NO such basis but it's still a rule with penalties/consequences attached. But the 'rule' is voluntary as every other factory rule is. If you sell to a factory the obviously sensible thing to do (we're all adults) is ascertain the rules and decide yourself whether or not to do business with it. A factory (any factory) can implement any rule it likes: for sensible reasons they won't exclude black cattle or brown cattle or red cattle or cattle at least 1.5 m in height etc. But they could. Geddit?

• Advertisement

When I'm killing a lamb for the freezer I picked a young lamb that thrived all his life, no setbacks, it seems to work for us, maybe they have something against older animals too........ they can sell a percentage of them but they don't want them all old cattle.

They're definitely penalising it, if it was a type of beef that they wanted encouraged ,they wouldn't be...... simples

The more kilos of beef they can sell the better for them so if the old beef was any good it'd yield more meat and a bigger margin per head

Its blindingly obvious I get it................and so do you if you know there is no scientific basis for it.

Its a way of lowering prices for a product with no scientific basis. You cant choose not to do business if its applied cross the board. Its a rule you have to live with or not do business at all. Its a tool that side of the business shouldn't have imo. Its one of a number of ways used in similar industries to exert unreasonable amounts of control on primary producer in the strive for more "efficiency" which really translates into lower price for a larger volume of product and more and more inputs with a smaller margin for the primary producer.

In some industries the long term consequences of this are the other side squeezing the life out of producers and controlling more and more of the production side of things until eventually they have to be broken up...but not before they've driven farmers and their families into bankruptcy. Thats the long term trend with these "rules"

Its also not a good idea long term in terms of the environment, if the producer has less heads going throughthat must add up to less GHGs long term...especially if all of the inputs not required are taken into account. I have yet to hear how 22 months is a good idea if you consider everything.

I think just because they could, doesn't mean they should (be let).....geddit?

But you know...que sera sera whatever will be will be.

Fair enough. I've done that occasionally too, I've also had mutton that's been fed naturally and its a smashing product despite the stigma associated with it (mutton dressed as lamb etc)............................................think of the effect of people only wanting spring lamb : you get a glut of lamb coming on the market over approx 2/3 months where the product gets the price it should (most of the time) and then the rest of the product is devalued the rest of the time............

Maybe they do have something against animals over 30 months but I cant for the life of me think what it is beyond ensuring a larger volume of supply at lower prices and the next drive for "efficiency" is exactly the same.........................its ultimately to the primary producers loss and as an added kicker it doesn't benefit the environment either imo. I'd love someone to explain to me how it will reduce GHGs if you consider every part of the production cycle.

I'd love someone to explain to me how it will reduce GHGs if you consider every part of the production cycle.

I think the very simplistic argument (ignoring practicalities and basically all other factors) of the person sitting behind the desk is that if you need to kill 100 per year, then you need to be rearing 500 in total if you kill at 5 years old, 400 if you kill at 4 , 300 if you kill at 3 etc.

If that's the argument then its veered beyond simplistic into the positively moronic...........It cant be that can it?

I don't think that is the excuse for factory penalties but I think it can be for climate/environmental reasons. Your nitrates are calculated on a daily basis rather than on per kg beef produced. If you kill a month earlier, as per their system, you have caused less "pollution" (for want of a better word)

A kilo of beef produced at 24 months fed indoors on high energy concentrate originating on burned rainforest land shipped from South America will be less polluting than a 36 month kilo just let wander about on grass using that metric!

The 30 month rule.

I tell you there is no scientific basis for it, you having asked for a scientific basis.

Now you're insisting there is a scientific basis for it. So if you know there is, why did you enquire?

There are none so blind as those that will not see.

It appears you are unable to read/interpret what I wrote. Reread the post you quoted there and then reread your response.

At no point did I say there was a scientific basis for it........quite the opposite in fact......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I started up reading a thread on Foot And Mouth and ended up in LaLa Land.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Advertisement