Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

More nonsense. Give Kildare and Meath €20m each and let us play every game at home. We'd improve no end.

Sounds silly doesn't it? This is the reality. But the likes of you just want to blame Meath and Kildare and ignore the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Anyway onto the 3 games this weekend..

The Tailteann Cup final should be a decent game. Was very impressed with Westmeath's demolition of Offaly last time out and a bit underwhelmed with Cavan. Bookies have Cavan as favorites but I'm going for Wesmeath. Westmeath by 2.

Derry v Galway is as impossible to call as Armagh v Galway, Galway very ropey at times against Armagh and their goalkeeper is a massive weak point for them. Derry been impressive all year and their ability to get goals is making me lean towards them. Derry by 4.

Dublin v Kerry the hardest to call of all 3 games, no idea what's going to happen here. Is Clifford fit? He didn't look it last time out. Much will depend on him. But Dublin at home swings it for me and can see them winning. Dublin by 3.

Should be a great weekend of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

How is Kerry v Dublin not sold out? I’m really surprised at this, Dublin aren’t favourites , it’s probably the two most likely winners and it’s kind of the two biggest names in the sport fighting it out.

I remember 59,000 at a Donegal v Dublin league final replay in 1993. Football was horrendous but it still got a savage crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Could be a good time to take them over all the same. As you say they are at a very low ebb, looked like a team that had checked out this year.

Mightn't take a whole lot to get them back up around the top of Div 2 and there could be some good young talent from that minor team and some decent underage teams coming through.

For the right man, it could be a canny move. You would think the only way is up from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's almost like the games are an inconvenience!

It's not the games every two weeks that are the problem, for instance I'd love to have that problem. (my team is long out)

If people genuinely can't afford it then change the prices, not the schedule. Having games every 3 or 4 weeks apart is nonsense, play the fvckin games and just enjoy it. Don't leave 99% of players at home waiting for the last 4 teams to finish off the championship through August and September.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Don't underestimate the lockdown changing peoples habits, I havent been to a game this year because I got into spending time at weekends doing other activities that I took up or got back into over the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭Xander10

Agree, I know plenty that haven't gone to a single event, sports, music, theatre, cinema etc.

But I still reckon it will still be close to capacity on Sunday. What are the numbers so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Regardless of the calendar, generally I think the GAA do need to tackle poor attendances. They really don't help themselves.

The price of hotels and Dublin plus the high inflation incl. petrol prices of course doesn't help, and the GAA have limited control over this

I went to a hurling semi last weekend (actually only 39,000 at it apparently, so around half capacity). Upper tiers of Davin and Hogan not even opened. An empty Davin End behind the goals doesn't look great optically for what's supposed to be one of the biggest events of the year.

Tickets were EUR 50, no match before it, just one game. Surely they could be cheaper ? People with only a passing interest in the sport will not pay that.

Also the matches are scheduled in the evening, so can finish after the last train home departs leaving supporters high and dry with nowhere to stay. Especially considering games can have extra time and penalties now. Hotels expensive and anyways not available.

You rule out the possibility of families with kids going. I have friends who actually live in Dublin, and couldn't go to Croker as it was too late. Never mind living in the likes of Clare or Kerry.

My plan is

1. Cheaper adult ticket prices
    2. Play all games in the afternoon, to open it up more to day trippers
    3. Consider free tickets for children, especially for games that won't sell out anyways (which is most games)
    4. Consider putting everything on Ticketmaster for everything except the All-Ireland final (appreciate finals will sell out and want to reward club members). Avoids the nonsense of the best seats being returned by clubs and left empty. Fine for maybe a county supporter's club to be involved, to sort out season ticket holders, but not every single club.

Also, would it be too drastic to take the semi finals out of Croke Park ? Play it somewhere between the two competing counties, reducing cost and travel time.

I genuinely think that when their is a great atmosphere at games, that feeds across to the players and leads to a better game. So also more enjoyable for the armchair TV viewer. A lot of the games played in an almost empty Croke Park this year have been poor spectacles.

• Advertisement

I agree about the ticket prices. 50 should only be for good seats and the corner, end and top tier should not be 50. One interesting point though is the 35e hill did not sell out for the Limerick game so many able bodied people are happy to pay the 50 in a cost of living crisis and might suggest the demand isn't there.

I wouldn't move the semis either. Last Sunday was one of the highlights of my year. Most GAA stadia are kips especially the supposed mecca of Thurles. Come to think of it maybe HQ need to look at improving the marquee grounds and not leave it up to CBs. Many Irish people who now to EPL and rugby and expect at least the correct amount of toilets (Thurles) and terraces not full of moss (Limerick)

Are attendances poor is the other thing. We are talking about counties of 100/150k and asking them to fill 50/80k stadia. Obviously games per season is different but average attendance at SPL is 15k and Danish football league is 7k both of which have very similar populations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Curtain raiser for Sundays game will be Kilkenny v New York in the Junior Football Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bit odd putting that on, if it was a ladies football Dublin v Donegal would make more sense. Before Dublin match.

In saying that though. Men’s Junior football AI win for Dublin was the spark for now many household names.

But in the case of NY and KK it will be the pinnacle for those lads. So it is a different type of vibe.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Have they changed the rules for that competition ?

Junior was a competition that Kerry had a monopoly on this last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

They did change the rules on it at one stage, can't remember the exact scenario but it was basically to stop senior teams using junior as their B team/feeder team for the main squad

Your’e correct according to Wikipedia-

”GAA Congress in 2021, a motion was passed to change the entire structure of the All Ireland Junior Football Championship competition to that of a mostly 'overseas competition' “

Irish Post ~

“The All-Ireland Junior Football Championship is a GAA competition involving four Junior Gaelic football inter-county teams... New York, Kilkenny, and the winner and runner-up of the British Junior Football Championship, all meeting in the All-Ireland Junior Football Championship semi-final. 

Prior to a change in competition structure in 2021, the competition was previously for all Junior Gaelic football inter-county teams in Ireland.”

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

Nothing odd about it.Them lads deserve a day in Croke Park.I rather see them play there as a curtain raiser then a women's match

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭MFPM

Why do 'them lads' deserve a chance more that the 'women's match' apart from your personal preference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

A competition that was on its last legs and HQ brought in something that is worse. on the topic of Kilkenny when are they going to return and play NFL I think its ten years since they stopped playing in it.

Why still call it the junior cup ?

For one thing NY are a senior team. Call it the intercontinental or something.

And sort out that joke of a KK situation. I think they are the only non dual county in the country and there is no excuse other than snobbery

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Junior is a grade. At intercounty level the GAA refuse to grade as the do in every county at adult level.

In every county you have Senior, Intermediate and junior grades. These are often split further into normal and premier grades.

Junior was split in every county traditionally into Junior A and Junior B ( in Kerry it's called Novice)

The GAA insist on calling most IC graded competition after the cup presented

Slava Ukrainii

All Ireland finals should be played in Croke Park and I include every grade from men to women and them lads deserve a day in Croke Park

Thank you but I do understand how the GAA name championships.

But from what I am aware Britain only has a junior championship so that they could enter the old Junior cup and Ney York are not a Junior team (although maybe I'm wrong there) so name it something else.

The whole junior thing is stupid anyway as it makes it sound like adults are playing in a children's tournament.

Putting the NY v KK junior football final on before KK v Limerick hurling final would make more sense IMO.

But could you call the Junior football final a real competition or real final? There are only four teams in it.

It is really a tokenism exhibition competition now. Couple of teams in it. The GAA diaspora plus KK. No one but friends and relatives would turn out to see it. Let’s be honest. Does it deserve to be played in CP? I am not so sure.

Does it make sense to play it in CP either? I am not so sure either. Better venues for it as a stand alone exhibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

One interesting thing happened this year. The minor hurling and football finals were moved out of CP to smaller venues. There was 17k at the hurling final in Portlaois. The atmosphere was electric. On the SG Maher and Cussack talked about when they played minor finals CP was empty except for a few family members. At HT the crowd started to come in but most were only looking at there program to see who they were watching.

It a point I made a out the Tailtain or any other cup the GAA play. Finals need not be in CP but in an adequate sized venue appropriate to the crowd

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Think I'm right in saying that London team is their second team, not their normal first team.

Strange having a 4 team competition and calling it an All Ireland. Why not open it up to the likes of the Asian teams and other US cities?

Yeah that is what I was thinking of as well, pick the right sized venue and the place is packed and hopping. Otherwise In an empty CP hearing nothing but seagulls and roars on the pitch surely takes away from an occasion.

In CP anything below 40k has an odd atmosphere as it is. CP for a couple of thousand people is nonsensical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Agreed.

The GAA really need a radical rethink of their ticket pricing structures, all they are doing is pricing people out of attending and lessening their own revenue streams.

Its been cited I don’t know how many times and by how many people that they should look at the German Bundesliga ticketing model of maximising stadium space by offering cheapest tickets possible to break even, sometimes even at a loss but their is a trickle down effect of sales such as merchandise, food and drinks within the stadium which turns it into a profit. Their tickets are just over €10 for an adult and stadiums are packed. If I got a ticket for today for a tenner I’d be there with my two kids. The bringing the kids element obviously has the additional knock on positive of exposure to the games and them being the next generation. Yes it’s a tenner for them, but mine is €50 so feck that. As it stands none of us will go and I imagine we will see plenty of empty seats today which could easily be filled. The GAA have always been hailed as great innovators of promoting the game but when it comes to getting people into croke park for games outside of AI finals this is definitely not the case. Remember those absolutely shite half time music acts they tried? Embarrassing. It’s as simple as reducing ticket prices to fractional profit, break even or even risk a small loss hoping to make it up in various sales within the stadium.

Advertisement