Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Island's edge opinions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I love Teku glasses, and generally I'm drinking 440ml cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I'm gumming for some after the last four I had. Better than the other black stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bingo76

Just tried this tonight from a can. Had to check the can was in date, as getting a really horrid bitter after taste off this. Allegedly the tea additive to this is supposed to make this less bitter - finding the opposite is true.

Luckily bought some Guinness Surger cans at the same time, so will skip the remaining Islands Edge cans (until I'm desperate). May try again if I see it on draught, but not impressed at all for a first time taster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I hate to admit this. But I don't find it as bad as I thought I would. I'm halfway through the four pack someone gave me at Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

It tastes like Guiness without the creamy goodness, ie shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thought it was very light tasting myself. Did enjoy the intial taste but it went quite bkand quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

9 White Deer Stag Saor Stout's been on the market for quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can't understand why they don't market Murphys, its a lovely stout, bit more flavor than Guinness and very creamy. Beamish is my favourite but I couldn't see it appealing to the masses, its fairly bitter and considerably cheaper than Guinness. Islands Edge is for people who don't drink stout so they have created this sub-market of swill with the awful tasteless lager and cider from Rockshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

Why did they get rid of Guinness Extra Cold in Ireland? I don't agree with the Guinness purists it's simply too warm and unrefreshing in many pubs now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

What temperature would you want it at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Quite simply because people didn't like it and found it too cold. Pubs didn't want regular Guinness and extra cold taps, so extra cold got the chop.

It was way too cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

Well then just have "Guinness Cold" rather than Extra cold, the fact is that in many pubs it is served too warm ,ok for Winter but not for summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Large Bottle, off the shelf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Bought 8 cans of it, drank it , nothing spectacular, nothing disgusting either, would i buy it again , No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

btw Had Islands Edge at a St Anne's Park gig. Was better than the lager option, but wasn't enough to be arsed queuing for a third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

The temperature is set by Diageo techs usually, isn't it?

Pick a different drink if it's not cold enough for you. Or ask them to put some ice in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

set by the pub if they want techs is a board word for some of them

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Jaysus lad, no need to be so angry about how I like my stout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

Only had tried Islands Edge cans before yesterday and had been very unimpressed with them.

Pub I went to yesterday served me a poor 1st pint of Guinness so I said I'd try 'the Edge'

5 pints later and I was still enjoying it. Nice creamy head, pleasant roasted aftertaste and almost as full bodied as Guinness. Very very good pints and a nice change from Guinness. Not sure how popular it is countrywide but I'll definitely have more pub pints of it in the future (when I get out that is!!)

So moral of the story is try it on tap lads, you might have a totally different experience to the home cans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Looks like Guinness, tastes like Coors light.

Not a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,285 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

I don't remember seeing it on tap anywhere. In that time since it's arrival, Guinness revamped their tap and added a non-alcoholic Guinness tap. Only ever saw it in the off licence and was never tempted to buy it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had 2 pints of it at the Olympia last year when The Darkness were in town. Perfectly drinkable but fairly boring. Couldn't believe they didn't have Guinness available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

didnt they use murphys for that for a while? i remember hearing a couple of english lads at one of the rwc 2015 games ordering pints of 'murphy's guinness'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Murphys is what is on tap in any Heineken venues up north e.g. The Odyssey Arena, Brandywell Stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I've never been so happy to see a pint fail. All they had to do was push Beamish and Murphys further. I've never seen Murphys in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

It does strike as some marketing guff that convinced some up-and-coming MBA, who in turn didn’t bother to get back to basics and actually do some research. They had two stouts in their portfolio, and they dumped money in to another. The marketing geniuses knew that the real reason those didn’t increase share was because they just didn’t know what the cool kids social media crew did. Perhaps their next will be a Heineken competitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It's like Diageo. They still have Harp on keg, but it must be 20 years since they pushed it.

But instead of targeting the Under 40's market with a product that already has some presence / penetration, they come up with Hophouse 13 and Rockshore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Diageo have been pushing Harp since last summer. Huge increase in the number of pubs with it in Dublin.

I suspect they realised there were Islands Edges lines coming out, as well as trying to recover the remaining Budweiser lines since it went to C&C. It has died a death in Dublin; most lines seem to have become Rockshore/Rockshore Light or now Harp. I'd drink all three in preference to Budweiser but it did have fans.

When HH13 came out (nearly a decade ago), Harp was more commonly remembered as a crap product; that had died out. Its not even that crap. Probably has more Sally O'Brien memories than assumptions about quality now.

Advertisement