Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ooni pizza ovens & accessories thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I stretch and put the dough on my semolina/flour dusted wooden peel and then top it up and give it a final stretch before loading it....more simpler to launch on the stone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

Whereabouts are people getting semolina?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Tesco, €2.79 for 500g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I have a Koda 12 on the way and was thinking of picking up a wooden launch peel and a metal turning peel.

My only worry is that I may not be able to get the pizza out of the oven with a turning peel.

Does anyone do this, is it difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I have a similar setup. I use the turning peel to move the pizza onto the wooden launch peel that I have close to hand .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Thanks, do ye find it tough (slow or near misses) or is a good setup? 7in peel for 12 sounds ok?

Would go for a perforated metal peel along with a turning peel but hate the idea of sticking and think loading with little toppings for the sake of a good launch defeats the purpose of putting all the effort into making dough etc…

Slightly off topic but does anyone know where to get a block of or sliced mozzarella? I know its completely different to the fresh buffalo balls of mozzarella but there are times when I fancy a New York style pizza rather than margherita style and having some block or sliced mozzarella in the fridge would be useful. I tried Aldi, Lidl and Tesco without any success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Available in my local Tesco. It's often located a bit away from the fresh mozzarella, nearly missed it on a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Thanks PARlance, I'll have another look.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Dunnes have the block in their normal cheese section as well, I prefer it on the pizza to the watery stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭hargo

If you slice the mozzarella balls lay them on a few layers of kitchen paper plus more on top and put a player over them for half an hour the cheese won't be watery.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

I used to slice them up a few hours in advance and leave them in a strainer, it helped a lot but the drier one always worked better for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

this..slice them in long pieces and strain..Some effort but you get great value out of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Hooked

Howdy Pizza Peeps

Borrowed my cousins Ooni the weekend.. WOW! So impressed.

Took the plunge yesterday and bought my own. As someone who's made his own dough and sauces for years - I was so impressed with the setup, cooking time, ease of use. Mind you - I was well warned about 'launching' with less toppings than I'd usually have and getting to grips with the turning peel (I practiced turning some table place mats before-hand LOL).

Picked up a thermometer and both peels from Amazon Germany - so here's hoping everything arrives soon - as I'm off next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Enjoy....

There is also a pizza thread on the food forum:-

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057609472/pizza-ovens#latest

..and a few Facebook groups

( tried to paste link but not allowed)

"ooni owners Ireland" is handy as it's Irish based, a few others if you go searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Hooked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In Lidl from Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Tesco have the Golden Bake 2 premade doughballs for €1 down from €3. Handy

Hi all,

Question for fellow Koda 16" users. Do any of you have the Dual-Sided Grizzler Plate and if so have you found using it cracks the pizza stone?

I ask because I use my sizzler a good bit for steaks and I've had two pizza stones crack and fully break into two pieces in the last 12 months and am now on my 3rd stone.

In fairness to Ooni they've sent me two replacement stones FOC once I supplied them a photo of each cracked stone and my Koda serial number etc but I'm thinking no matter how careful and "easy" I slide the 6kg Grizzler on and off the pizza stone it's just too heavy for use on a relatively thin 15mm pizza stone which is being constantly heated up and cooled down.

Anyone else having the same problem or any tips on how to use the Grizzler without cracking the stone? If this 3rd stone also cracks I'm just going to have to stop using the grizzler and that would be a shame as it really does a super job with steaks etc.

Its a tricky one as Ive always thought that a hot stone matched with a very heavy cast iron pan isnt a great combination, Im very careful of mine and treat it like its glass when using it with cast iron. Id say it is a problem that Ooni come across time and again even with people being as careful as they can be and only placing it delicately on the stone. The stone itself sits on little metal spikes at the 4 corners of the oven so as its not sitting flat on the metal base below it you can see how a heavy cast iron would put pressure on the stones strength when it is at 450c.

By any chance are you heating up the oven (and stone) to 450 degrees and then putting a cold cast iron on it? If you are starting both out cold and pre heating them together simultaneously you would wonder what else you can do to prevent it happening again.

Maybe a (less than ideal) solution is to use your cracked stone for the cast iron and the uncracked stone for pizza. Obviously thats not much good if you want to cook both pizza and something in the cast iron in the same session. But if you have a large enough section of cracked stone to hold the pan the performance of it in getting up to high temperatures will still be the same. Not ideal I know but you're probably thinking I dont want to be having to go back to Ooni looking for yet another stone even when its not your fault.

You're 100% on everything there. I'm not sure I always heated the stone and grizzler together from scratch but will definitely do so going forward on this 3rd stone. That's about the only thing I can think which might help prevent future cracking other than not actually removing the grizzler from the oven to turn the steaks but instead just pulling it out to the edge and trying to use a fork or tongs to flip them. To date I've been removing the grizzler, setting it down on the (warped) wooden base which itself was sitting on a garden table and then rotating the steaks as I turn them before sliding the grizzler back into the oven but whilst I'm not mad on the idea of balancing a 450C hot grizzler at the edge of the oven whilst using my other hand to turn oil spitting steaks but I might give it a go. 

I do think a 6KG cast iron 450C grizzler pan and a 15mm thick stone supported on a few dispersed metal spikes is a design flaw which can only lead to cracked stones regardless of how careful most users are and I suspect Ooni know that.

yeah I would definitely try to pre heat both stone and the cast iron simultaneously going forward as placing a cold cast iron on a 450c degree stone might be causing thermal shock which at high temperatures then leads to the stone cracking. Im not certain on that but if the stone did crack again at least you could rule that potential cause out. Were your 3rd stone to crack when pre heating simultaneously then I think we can definitely say Ooni have a design flaw becasue there is not much else you can do other than placing the cast iron delicately when putting it inside.

If your 3rd stone was to crack AFAIK there is another option, theres an Italian company who makes pizza stones, I think they are well known for it in Italy. I cant remember the name of them but they were mentioned a couple of years back on the other Ooni thread in the Food forum here. iirc prices were around 35-40 though Im not sure how much shipping is and they are heavy. But it could be an option if they are known for making strong stones that last for years.

Also if you are balancing a screaming hot cast iron pan at the edge of the oven and flipping steaks Id be very careful and definitely wear oven gloves on both hands because if boiling hot fat spits on your hand your instant reaction will be to pull your hand away quickly and that way lies disaster. Id use a long BBQ tongs to flip them as well so your hand isnt that close to the flame or pan.

If you're even buying a dedicated table for on Ooni Id highly recommend looking into a stainless steel catering table. Not only can you shape and top the pizza on it outdoors during summer its also handy for putting screaming hot cast iron pans on it in order to flip steaks safely. As its steel it will absorb the heat perfectly and it wont be marked unlike wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭ablelocks

20% off Ooni ovens for Black Friday starts Nov 21st but use this code for early access - VIPizza7WZGSMM5 (i'm assuming that's not a one time code but it might be)

(there's also 20% of Gozney ovens)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭cython

It may well be a one time, as I got a similar code (VIPizza prefix, but the rest is different), so if it ceases working for anyone, that may be why.

yeah it is a one time use code, it said it in my email.

One thing I noticed on their site that might be handy for current Ooni owners- they run an upgrade scheme where you give them the serial number on the leg of your current oven and they give you a 20% discount off any oven on the site and you get to keep your old oven.

Could be good for anyone considering an upgrade from 12 to 16 inches or from wood only to gas. Ooni ovens tend to get good prices on Adverts/Donedeal so you can get most of your money back even selling it used. This time last year I sold my Ooni 3 for 200 quid and then upgraded to the Koda 12 for 270 with the 20% Black Friday discount. Was over the moon with that to get a brand new gas oven for basically 70 quid. The upgrade scheme they are running allows you to get the 20% discount all year around rather than just for a week over Black Friday.

https://eu.ooni.com/pages/ooni-upgrade-programme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭cython

Black Friday deals wide open without need for a code now on the EU website.

Advertisement