Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

Not sure whats going on with Crossans. Could have difficulty getting parts at the moment though.

Its likely the other party causing issues with the claim. I keep having to ring Axa to see whats going on with mine (I'm the opposite, currently defending a claim as a woman cut across me in her car and is trying to claim off my insurance for a few scratches while I came off the bike)

I was happy to just walk away and avoid a headache

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I think I may have a very slow puncture in the front (or it could all be in my head). It feels slightly off, like a puncture but the pressure is up to spec and isn’t squared off, however, I can still push the tyre in, very slightly if I put my weight down on it, is this normal for tubed tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I don’t have a lift or stand for it, is there any way to check without lifting. The front end felt vague but since coming home and the tyres cooling, the front has stayed the same, the rear has dropped 1psi and is now 4 below what’s spec

Remind me what bike again.

For now I'll assume you've just a sidestand.

Have you anyone to give you a hand?

Get other person to lean bike over on sidestand putting pressure on the rear so front wheel lifts off ground.

You go to front of bike and grab forks low down and turn steering from left to right and back slowly several times to feel for any notch.

Also pull forks forward and back to check for any play.

• Advertisement

Cheers, it’s a DR750, will rope one of the kids in to give it a go

edit:

it’s turning smoothly,no play that I can see if I try and pull the forks, am gonna check the pressures tomorrow to see if there is any change.

If the forks are similar to a DR650 then its just **** forks that can make the front end feel spongy

have you a drop in valve kit in the forks?

What tyres are you running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Howdy HairySlug.

Post more pics of her pls.

Carefully check the front bearings. There's an oddball uber expensive only from suzuki unsealed ntn bearing in the front iirc, they're shyte as they have no seal (you read correctly) and are always gone or going on the 750. Can give weird feeling.

I run 34 psi front and can just about push the tyre in as you describe. What date is stamped on your tyre?

Best bet is to do a fork oil change and bang in heavier wirth or wilbers springs or better yet just sell me the bike:)

I bet your ears were burning from someone mentioning a DR big

I’m hoping it’s just low pressure, the front was 25, rear 28, looks like most keep it at 32 & 36 and since if increased it, it’s feeling better and I don’t have the time, money or tools to be looking at the forks. The lower end of the gator is bet on so I’ll try and get that off to see how things are.

H, there’s no sign of me getting bored of it, it’s a job keeping it on the road but I’ll let ya know if it goes up for sale.

• Advertisement

At those pressures it'll feel like a wobbly shopping cart alright. They handle great for what they are.

Keeping it on the road is simple enough if the basics are covered and a few rules obeyed. Shut it off by gently pulling on the decomp lever, never the kill switch or ignition key.

Oil and filter every 2500 miles max. Valves and balance chain adjust every second or third service, change the couple euro crank oil feed seal every time you pull the clutch cover. Oh and theyre famous for breaking chains and arsing the crank cases so fit a top of the range DID and dont over tighten it.

Btw have you ever had the oil pump mesh cover off? Its the small fag packet sized plate on the sump. Intresting things can accumulate there.

If the clutch action is graunchy despite oiling the cable change the clutch release bearing pronto. If you do all these things and pat your head and rub your tummy they abide.

Thanks, will try the decomp (why is it better to do so)

I got it so learn how to work on it, thinking, what’s the worst it can throw at me and what’s the worst damage I can do to is

Its a soft stop for the piston and prevents a kick back. If you stop her with switch or key she will eventually kick back which eats the starter satellite gears that are driven offa the starter motor.

If you pull the sump inspection plate i mentioned its quite common to see a gear tooth or more entombed in there from this.

Its a design flaw that was rectified later by the addition of modded gear train with a clutch like mech inbuilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Fun fact... New motorcycle sales were up 25% in Ireland last year...

I'm gonna speculate that it's partly people buying bikes for fun after the COVID lockdown; bike deliveries becoming an industry to itself; different nationalities coming to the country and bringing their own bike culture; and this year, inflation and trying to beat the cost of transport...

Its interesting to see, because it's noticeable how few bikes are on the road these days compared to the 80"s and 90's... Hopefully with increased numbers it will help the bike lobby and help improve conditions.

https://www.motorcyclesdata.com/2022/06/09/italian-motorcycles/&ved=2ahUKEwiayYaG2_b4AhXSa8AKHbUoD1gQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0bbDDTjw_6L0cwdY_-Yy7b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Would have read that as actually new bikes rather than registration which would have included imports, doesn't say either way.

If it was new bikes then I'd have said Brexit and the loss of the ease of imports from there and dearth of used on Irish market making new more appealing.

I'd say in the future that electric is going to make a big differences, all those Teenagers on the escooters changing to electric mopeds when old enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why would they bother, many of these illegal e-bikes are as fast as a 50cc, they have no IBT, licence, helmet, insurance or motor tax and you can whizz along the footpaths too! 🙄

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Electric bikes are due to be regulated soon under Irish law and the classification categories have been in operation throughout Europe for a number of years. Low powered bikes, scooters etc will fall into one category, be allowed to use cycle lanes, roads etc. and anything above that power output will require license, insurance, tax and helmet, similar to a moped.

So operating what you call an illegal vehicles, will be more manageable by the authorities...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Illegal e-bikes could do a lot but I don't see many bikes in general, see herds of kids on scooters. No free lunch either, you're paying for that power in a form it isn't suited for.

Only so much of a motor even if they ignore the 250w normal limit you can fit into a 8-10" wheel, and the ones with 1kw plus are huge but still stuck on tiny wheels with subpar suspension. Even the new law which states it's up to 500w fall short of the 4kW continuous you've got for AM legal electric mopeds.

Energy density isn't great for electric vehicles in general but at least 4 wheels ones have space to fill, a scooter only has a tiny deck to fill and a e bike doesn't do too much better.

Honda releasing a new model in China now for limited release of pedal assisted scooter. This would fall into the new high power category below

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 663 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

I have a refundable deposit down for the Sondor's electric motorcycle. If it it half as good as they say it will do me for running into work in the morning.

Anyone here ever go to the bike rally in Faro?

My brother was at it last weekend.

Had a great time, everyone really friendly.

€55 entry for 2 days and you get 4 meals and a t shirt included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

Was over in Barcelona recently and there are bikes absolutely everywhere over there, including numerous pay as you go rental options for ebikes and emopeds.

I sampled a free now service which was an e moped but was basically an ebike with no pedals and also a seat emoped, 125cc equivalent which was a hoot, even two up. Very nimble and quite nippy. Seemed to be about 90km range on sport mode, regenerative braking front and rear.

Was so handy to have them dotted around the city, rent them for 18c/minute (can reserve them 15minutes in advance for free so you know it will be there when you are) and then just leave it wherever you want pretty much if you want to have a drink or are getting a bus etc somewhere else.

Two lids under the seat or in a back box, charging port for your phone and a holder so you can use maps while riding.

Would be the right job if you have a city commute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

Are there any retired 60+ riders out there living near Blanchard's town interested in weekday runs in good weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

Any good reports from buying new bikes in BxxxxWorld(after sales service)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Wouldn't bother. Tried to get them to order a bike for me recently and they weren't interested.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 663 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Finally starting to prep for my next trip.

was going to take the r100, but I haven’t done enough on it in Ireland. So taking the DR650se again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

How is everyone keeping - long time since ive been in here what with work and life etc.

Just done the general service on the bike to make sure it’s good to go.

valves all set, and cabling checked over.

rebuilt the front calliper last week too, I had melted the piston seals in Switzerland last summer

should probably have washed it since last summers paddy Dakar though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Shout out to the newish red Ducati who passed me on the Sally Gap road from Blessington today. 27 July. He saw I was having trouble with my bicycle and came back to check if he could help. I untangled the chain just as he rolled to a stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Advertisement