Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberty Insurance

• 09-07-2022 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

A relative of mine has had their house insured with Quinn/Liberty for about 20 years ago. Acouple of weeks ago that the insurance had lapsed. When thehy contacted Liberty they were informed that Liberty are now a digital company and the renewals are sent by electronic format only. I think the policy has lapsed about a month and the only option Liberty offered was a new quote which they refused as there be discount acrued on the policy over the years as i think they were claim free. The house is currently uninsured. There were family members working from home over the covid time and the digital account was set-up because of Covid.

Whats the view here?

Seperately i discovered that if there is an email on a utility account the company automatically assume people want all communication by email without advising the customer of thid decision.

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The new quote should allow the same discounts as the old policy. Don't stay uninsured for any longer. If you really need paper, contact other insurers and see what they can offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

I told them to make a complaint to the Ombudsman, i am not going to tell them what to do, they have family who created the account but were not award that Liberty would not ensure they were insured, they said before there would sometimes get a phone call about insurance.

Sh1t service for me.

To go to the Ombudsman, you first have to go through the insurers own official complaints process

The problem, as I understand it, is of your relatives own making and not a big one at that. Get the house insured again and move on

It one for ombudsman in my view, this is sharp practice and needs to be highlighted.

Off you go so. The official complaints process with the insurer can take around 4 weeks. If they don't uphold your complaint, you can go to the Ombudsman. That part will take approximately 3 months. My advice to insure the house in the meantime still stands.

What are you trying to achieve by the complaint? An apology for the handling of the issue (likely), compensation (unlikely) or Liberty reverting to a paper based business model (not happening)

• Advertisement

They have already reverted to paper so thats done, they want Liberty to allow the renewal of the original policy as i think about €100 less than any new quote, they flatly refused to accept a new quote from Liberty. I do not know if they arte going to re-insure elsewhere as this is over a week ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So assuming an adult is capable of acting in their own interests is sharp practice in your book? They set up the account, they accepted the terms and they failed to manage it.

I be of the view the terms and conditions cannot be changed with written consent, the policy is about 20 years old, terms and conditions cannot change with written signed approval.

There was no new account, Liberty changed digital because of Covid and insisted on digital payment but it seems forgot duty to customer.

Its an interesting one.

I only discovered since i heard of this if we give a email address to a utility provider they have no duty to send written invoice.

These people do not have a computer, i heard of a phychiatric patient has the same problem and does not get Electric bill, it seems someone put their email address in because thought a requirement and now he gets no bill and does not know what to pay, he pays everything in PO and i think he has no daily bank account. I do not know the exact detail but will ask soon.

I think its a problem to assume people are up to speed withojut asking.

All Insurers have procedures to deal Vulnerable Customers, all you have to do is to make it known to them that you are in that situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I'd say they're doing them a favour. They'll much more likely get a better quote from elsewhere as a new customer than by staying with the same company for 20 years.

They should still be entitled to their NCB.

• Advertisement

Exactly, this is a fuss about nothing. Spend your money elsewhere and move on

Well when they were made aware of this they refused to deal with it which is the problem, they only became aware their house was not insured when the car insurance with the same company was quiried by a family member as due this Month, it was then it was realized house insurance not paid.

The reason was no renewal notice, its a serious problem, i do not know if others had a problem with this which is why i asked. Also to make people aware of this.

Absolutely not these **** need to be exposed for using Covid as a reason to close theirn offices anf **** their customers.

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Stop, you're embarrassing yourself now. It's a modern world. Tell your relatives to shop around for a policy and insurer that suits them

Have your eggs, don't waste my time. I think i will have SUSHI. adios amigo...

That might work in this situation as i asked and policy holder on disability for years, now pension. How is this done?

You're all over the shop with your story, I'm done here trying to help you

You have helped more than you know, the disability idea be a gamechanger I expect. Thanks.

A person on disability is not by definition a vulnerable person, you would need to show a deminished mental capacity in conducting one’s financial affairs.

I know a person who was sold broadband a couple of years ago, he never had a computer and when it was investigated he got a full refund, there was nearly €500 involved as after about 6 months he cancelled and he was charged with breaking the contract. He did have to get a letter from a Doctor.

• Advertisement

What comment of yours do you think was helpful, go elsewhere is what you said.

This thread has ran its course. I’m closing it. DO ATTEMPT TO RE OPEN IT.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement