Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

After 3 years with their minors wouldn't rule Derek out of taking the Laois job either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Maybe that’s his level but Can’t see him being given a top job with a Dublin or anyone else. Some of the stuff he’s come out with in the media the past couple of years I don’t think too many people take him seriously any more and he’s probably talked himself out of another intercounty management role at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Last year he turned the Galway job down twice in addition to the Wexford job. Kingston also asked him to join the Cork coaching team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I honestly don't care if it's believed or not.

He was contacted by Galway first. He said no. Following that the Wexford county board contacted potential applicants including him. All applicants were asked to put together a presentation in respect of the year ahead. He told them he wasn't interested enough to do that so they told him to think about it and come to the interview. He attended without the presentation and was asked to take the job on. He called back to say he wouldn't. Cork then got in touch, though as selector. He turned it down, was it Noel Furlong who came in then? Finally a month after turning Galway down, they came back again. I presume someone else turned them down so they asked him again but he said no again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

What an extremely detailed and dramatic story. First off, I work with two members of the Cork County Board and at no stage was Derek’s name ever mentioned to me. I’ve been quizzed by both these men on every aspect of Waterford hurling from the makeup of the Tony Forristal panel up to am I clued in on the inside track of the senior panel. If Derek was in Cork’s plans in any way shape or form then I’d have heard about it. Without checking, I don’t think Cork have ever had a selector who wasn’t from the county, I’m open to correction on this but I’d be fairly confident that it has never happened. I don’t know why that would change for Derek.

Secondly, how do you know Derek attended an interview with no presentation? Knowing the man, not bothering to prepare any thing is not his style so I don’t believe your story for the reasons mentioned.

I had thought the Cork link had come out in the media but perhaps not. The manager will select his backroom team so I don't know what involvement if any the county board had at that point. And I'd argue that John Meyler was an outsider in charge of Cork. Nevertheless Derek McGrath was called to ask if he wanted to be a coach/selector with Cork.

Again you can believe what you want in respect of the Wexford job. I'd have a few links to Derek McGrath but it's not really a big secret that he's involved with the Harriers as a coach officially but he's the one who trains them, picks the team, sets the tactics and makes the switches. Wexford have been sweetening him up over the past few years since he took over, back when there was no supporters allowed at matches he was offered admission. I'd say it's more in his character to be up front and honest from the start and he was as he told them he wasn't really pushed and he wasn't going to do all the preparation for the interview. They asked him to come anyway and he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I'd say Kingston would be capable of thinking Derek McGrath good enough. Kingston is living in the past. He rehired some backroom dinosaurs during his Cork tenure.

The reality is Derek McGrath is not a top inter county coach or manager. He wouldn't get a job at a top county. No way. Not after the amount of beatings his teams took in finals and semis. And they were beatings. If Dublin take him on it will set back Dublin hurling ten years. He is not ruthless.

Wexford, I'd maybe believe. They must have been desperate. But I think they dodged a bullet there. He is not an inter county coach or manager. He was one, and it didn't work out.

To be honest, he managed a school to two Harty's and went straight into inter county after it... a bit too quick I think.

Derek McGrath after 2016 Munster final:

"The first thing I have to look at is myself. It's my job to have the team prepared in a manner that they will be able to produce a performance that was a lot better than that. It's highly embarrassing and we're very demoralised after it, any analysis of us is probably balanced by how good Tipperary were at times. I thought we started the game reasonably well, Ironically, we went fairly conventional at the start and seemed to be getting a bit of a foothold into it. We pushed on with 25 minutes to go and the floodgates opened, It's very, very disappointing I have to say."

That says it all really.

As for McGrath's activities these days - his own words:

“It actually came about through Fergal Hartley who is friends with a guy who is involved with the Laois minors. Fergal was obviously with us in 2017. I was hang on I’m doing a course in the whole area of psychology before Christmas and I needed a kind of a placement if you like.

I’m doing a small bit of coaching not a huge amount but I’m liking coming down the road after doing the session. I’m liking the, not less pressurised environment, but an environment where you are dealing with young fellas who are mad to learn and and I’m learning a huge amount myself.

There’s a full management team in place Liam Dunne from Clough Ballacolla and Johny Fitz who used to play with Laois and Tim Lyons and Ollie Quinlan so there is a team that has been there since Tony Forristal since U14 and I’m just up giving a hand. And look we are part of the chasing pack behind Dublin Kilkenny and Wexford so it in interesting.

“Faythe Harriers have a management team in place, Sack Walsh is the coach, I’ve been up there twice. It’s more an ancillary role more than anything else but I’m doing the 6s 7s and 8s in my own club and up with the Laois minors twice and I have been in Wexford twice in eight weeks but not hugely involved. I’m out still four nights a week with the hurling but it’s not as pressurised, it’s nice.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭MfMan

I have very grave doubts Galway approached him at any point. His methods wouldn't suit that Galway squad. You may be mixing him up with Davy.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford to Galway would be a fair trek numerous times a week

• Advertisement

I can't speak of his involvement with the Laois minors, I don't know if that's just a part time thing.

I can certainly speak of his time with Faythe Harriers and he's with them 3/4 times a week. Sack is listed as the manager but it's clear who's in charge in reality. Results haven't been good and in my view he sets them up way too defensively. Very few club teams can work the ball out like an inter county team so the chances of 4/5 good passes taking place before the ball gets into a dangerous position is slim unless it's Ballygunner.

And I'm definitely not mixing him up with Davy Fitzgerald 😂😂

On a more pressing note, did anyone else hear rumours recently that our management team are not nailed down for next year? Disappointing if so as it's a while since we last played so I'd have hoped that meant they'd stay on rather than go through the process again as it's unlikely a successor would be in place for the club championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Worrying that there’s nothing confirmed at this stage. Given the talk of unrest in Tipperary we could be in bother.

Interesting to see it mentioned above that Cork haven’t previously had an outside selector / coach. Seems Donal “Duck” O’Rourke is going to be a part of Pat Ryan’s management team. Involved with DLS this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I have just heard a ridiculous story from someone who should know better that Cahill is resigning and McGrath and Brick are taking over.

The source is credible even if the story is incredible. Maybe it’s the heat or waiting for the club championship to start? Whatever about Cahill deciding he has enough, I can’t see the County Board having already made the decision on the replacement.

Apologies to the many people experiencing palpitations.

All Ireland final time seems to be when decisions are made by management teams. Could be an announcement Monday

'In his third season at the helm, Cahill guided Waterford to a national league title but they too failed to qualify for the knock-out stages of the All-Ireland SHC having lost to Limerick, Cork and Clare.

Cahill indicated early last month that he would be staying on but he had yet to discuss plans for 2023 with the county executive and players.'

Not sounding promising, you'd think this would of been sorted sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

Would the Ballygunner management team be an option if Cahill does go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭decies

😳 oh . Such convenient timing this with Waterford to decide what it’s doing shortly

Post edited by decies on

In case of emergency break glass 🆘🆘🆘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Liam Cahill on TG4: “We are all very adamant that we will dust ourselves down and pick ourselves up and go again,” said Cahill.

“That’s what we do as players and management, and we can’t wait for next December to come around and get back on the horse again, and get going.” 

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DeHorse88

Liam Cahill will be appointed Tipperary Senior Hurling Manager by the weekend.

Waterford county board did a review document of 30 pages following their senior hurlers championship exit 

There was recommendations in it for next year. When it was put in front of Cahill he took exception to it 

Row ensued. 

He's gone. 

How come nobody else heard of review apart from you and only coming out now ?

Whatever about the rumour mill, the Bonnar news out of Tipp is a game changer. If Tipp knock on Cahills door again he will surely not turn it down this time, no matter where his head is at with Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DeHorse88

Maybe because the news has only come out this week. Maybe Cahill looking for an easy way out or maybe their was a couple of items in the document that were below the belt.

I hadn't heard anything about a review but I had heard that Cahill was unsettled and posted it here a few days ago.

That would be a double blow for us as we would be back at square one in terms of a new manager and trying to adjust to that. But also Cahill would make Tipp a much better team.

You’d have to say with this year being such a disappointment if he wants to go we should accept his decision amicably and all move on. This was supposed to be the year it all came together for him to have a rattle at Limerick but when it came down to it we weren’t within an asses roar of winning an All Ireland. With our without Cahill there is a long road back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

welcome back DMG 💪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭deisedude

What's the general consensus? Do most want Cahill to stay?

I don't know what to think. Standing on the terrace in Ennis I hadn't felt as low at a match since the 08 final and i know we took other hammerings since then but this felt like a year we would be in contention.

We were an absolute sh1tshow in the championship this year. Obviously got the timing of fitness plan all wrong but even tactically he mad some batsh1t decisions this year like in the Limerick game putting the very inexperienced and considerably shorter Tom Barron out of position on potential hurler of the year Aaron Gillane.

Advertisement