Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I agree DOC had to change his style last Sunday to compensate for having David Moran beside him. David had a good game but if Adrian's and Jack Barry are fit I would start both with Diarmuid and have Moran and either Monyihan or Paudie Clifford on the bench.

Are Graham and Jason good enough to cover the two Dublin inside forwards and leave Tom on Dean Rock. He have COC some run around last Sunday

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Graham O'Sullivan really impressed me on Sunday. Best game I've seen him play in a Kerry jersey. Watched it back on TV and he wasn't as prominent but my gut feeling on the day was that he was brilliant. I think he could match up well with Paddy Small or Cormac Costello.

I am impressed with him as well. I saw him at wing back in a few games earlier this year and taught his distribution was excellent. He got a good point on Sunday as well. I am not sure if he is a classic CB but he is managing there

It's amazing all the talk is about the Kerry forwards bits it's the backs that are standing out to me. Even though we got turned over nearly 2-1 last Sunday we conceeded little. I not really buying that Mayo forwards could not score, I think our backs put tremendous pressure on them. As well our backs scored five points.

I am more worried about our forward play than our defence at present. We are continually trying to create goal chances and getting turned over. We should let the goals come naturally like DC's score one last Sunday. Paul Geaney was not really created either it was on because of a good foot pass and similar with Tom's ones. It's these fancy killer hand or foot passes that are causing us issues.

Slava Ukrainii

I'm not too worried about the forwards either to be honest. We have been scoring pretty freely all year. Even 1-18 on Sunday is decent despite not firing on all cylinders.

I think our backs (and in general the same lads have played since the first round of the league bar GOS who came in for DOD) have been unbelievable this year. Morley and Foley are playing their best football ever. Tom O'Sullivan has been a bit quiet up until Sunday where he was phenomenal. Gavin White and Brian O'Beaglaoich have an intense role where they are expected to defend well but also bomb forward and contribute to the attack.

There is great trust and belief now in the group as a defensive unit that I haven't seen in a Kerry side since we had Seamus Moynihan, the O'Sé's and the like back there.

Against Cork and Mayo we most of our scores in the last 15 minutes. We only went .ore or less score for score before that. Where I see the problem is similar to last year again Tyrone we are trying for that killer pass that will create a goal where we cough up possession.

We will not get away with that against Dublin. If we conceed the number of turnovers against Dublin that we conceeded against Mayo I think we will not win the game.

It's not all cobwebs it just not playing the percentages

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

Normally play with 3 midfielders 8,9 and wing forward, which has been Barry, O'Connor and Spillane prior to Sunday.

Barry is a definite if fit to mark Fenton.

O'Connor will also start and I think Moran will take the 3rd spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

O’Connor gets turned over very easily sometimes I find. He had 3 bad turnovers if I remember correctly against Mayo. Barry if fit as said above starts on Fenton. I think Moran was too good the last day to leave out so it’s between Adrian and Diarmuid. I would start Adrian for the extra physicality and doggedness he brings but also because Diarmuid would have much more of an impact coming on as a sub than Adrian. Coming on when the games opens up should suit Diarmuid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

That's an interesting take on it, Moran did roll back the years the last day and I was amazed to see him last the 70. He did give himself a great chance to start.

I'd still nearly prefer him on the bench tho. Dublin even in there pomp only ever shook us off after their superior bench impacted the game. Now we have the advantage there. Id send out Barry and COC with Spillane at half forward to work like a dog for 50 minutes. Moran coming in to control the game for the last 20 odd minutes. Our backs should be in a place to restrict there 6 forwards to a relatively low enough score. And I'm sure they'll have some plan in place should Con O'Callahan tog out.

Any word on the ref for the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

Moran was outstanding against Mayo but Diarmuid is still our number 1 midfielder. Moran was outstanding because Diarmuid played a role that allowed him to be and the game was slow in dirty conditions. If Dublin play Fenton and James McCarthy at midfield in Croke park in what’s given down to be a fine day they will run Moran into the ground. Personally I would still hold Moran as an impact sub and start Diarmuid, Jack and Adrian with Moynihan also dropped to the bench. However Jack will most likely start David, Diarmuid and Jack. Adrian Spillane isn’t an impact sub that will turn a game.

The decision on who marks O Callaghan is an even bigger one I think. For me it’s Foley as O Callaghan is a physical beast and Foley probably the best for this type of player. We would lose Tom O Sullivan in attack if he had to tag him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Jason O Connnor has usually been on the ball with his reports. But, always a pinch of salt needed until official confirmation.

Expects Clifford, Spillane and Con to play while Barry and McCarthy are doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Possibly a dummy team?

Jack Barry and probably Adrian Spillane might start for David Moran and Dara Moynihan.

What's good is that Jack and Adrian are in the 26

I suppose over dubs might throw out at team about 2pm on Sunday but at least we have an idea of what way Kerry are. I'd expect that team to start after it started v Mayo tbh. Fingers crossed for the lads. Stefan a notable absence. Unfortunately he seems too injury prone for high level sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Is he injured or has he just been edged out of the panel for this match? There are 5 midfielders on the 26, how many more would we have - especially when he hasn't played a competitive match in months?

Agree though if it is injury, it's a desperate pity.

He misses out due to Jack and Adrian returning. Can't carry Jack, Adrian, Joe and Stefan on the bench.

That's what I was thinking, Stefan and Joe are fighting for one place and Joe - having played more this year and made positive contributions last match - is the obvious choice of the two.

Will be interested to see what level Barry and A. Spillane are at - obviously, they're fit enough to be included but wonder what part they will play.

I would not be surprised if there is 1-2 changes before on Sunday before the game starts. Only two defenders on subs. Paul Murphy and Gavin Crowley or is the Jack O Shea of Austin Stacks a defender.

I would be surprised of one of Jack Barry or Adrian do not start if not both.

Slava Ukrainii

Yeah, Jack O'Shea is a defender too so goalie, three defenders, three midfielders, and four forwards.

• Advertisement

It was more of a general comment about Stefan. He came back, got injured, got fit and played a club game, got injured, was warming up against Cork on the sideline in PUR, stopped and got his leg strapped up.

I'd love to see him make it obviously but he just seems like an injury prone person which is hugely disappointing given his talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Con O'Callaghan and James McCarthy "absent" from Dublin's starting XV, but as past masters of putting out "dummy" line-ups, I'll only believe it when 3.30 comes around!

James McCarthy supposed to be named on the subs. No sign of Commit appears. AFAIK you cannot change the match day 26 only for a goalie after its presented to CP. It has to be supplied 24 hours before the match. I think that it anyway.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

One of our gang can't make it up so have spare ticket for today's game.

Ticket is for Upper Hogan row B.

Will sell for less than face value.

PM me if interested, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Jack Barry in for Dara Moynihan, presumably to mark Brian Fenton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

They can say what they want about us but today we answered allot of hard questions. Precisely the type of game we've always been accused of not having the bottle for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

In fairness and being the better team ye almost bottled it but ye came out on the right side this time finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

True. And there is a lot of room for improvement still.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

What a kick at the end, at almost 80 minutes in that heat and he never flinched

• Advertisement

Jesus lads that was a rollercoaster of emotions. I'll have to watch the game back but it felt a bit similar to the Dublin Mayo game a few years ago when the Dubs went at Mayo after half time and just blew them away. We were under pressure for a lot of the 2nd half but stood up to it well and got the reward.

Advertisement