Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52,017 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think Kerry will beat Dublin tomorrow (hopefully I’m wrong) and Galway will get a pasting from them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Roryball doesn't seem to suit Galway

Last three games against Galway (2017 as Donegal manager,League encounter this spring and today)

10-36 conceded and just 1-32 scored

I'd give Galway a decent chance of winning the final if they defend as well as they did today with huge intensity and aggression in their play. Dublin are not good as they use to be especially with bench options, question marks over Kerry also have lost to Cork,Tyrone the last two years and Galway beat them in Croke Park in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Not bad going so far, but you got the final result wrong imv

• Registered Users Posts: 25,519 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Would have guessed the same but it’s hard to gauge Dublin.

an 11 point victory over Cork was a result that actually flattered Cork…

Dublin passed up a few goal opportunities and indeed intensity waned late on …

be an interesting watch. With Con and McCarthy absent I’d say Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

A measure of how much a spoofer Gallagher is, that in spite of an entire seasons worth of evidence to work off of, the number of high balls hit in on top of Gleeson in the Galway goal was precicely zero.

Also thought Paul Conroy had a hell of a game, kept Glass very quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can't quite decide if it was good tactically or not.

Derry completely **** the bed in attack, but it seemed to be as simple as Galway just packing that central scoring zone and letting Derry faff about with the ball. They didn't even try to go down the sides and the few long range shots were all rushed and terrible.

Derrys plan was always to be holding the ball until the right moment and then breaking the line past a defender and working a shot on goal. They completely failed to do this because they only ever tried to penetrate down the middle, and every single time they came near a Galway defender they immediately turned back and recycled the ball. So because Galway had the middle packed they didn't really have to do much to stop them.

Is it tactical genius to do something simple that negates the opposition? Or were Derry so unbelievably bad that they just made Galway look good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Con missing is huge, ll on kerry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭PressRun

Derry not a bad team, they beat 3 division 1 teams this year and won an Ulster title, which is still the toughest province. They've probably overacheived but they've plenty to work with going forward. They've had a good season. Can't believe they didn't try to exploit the Galway keeper though, he was there for the taking.

Galway changed it up in the second half and it paid off. They were woefully negative in the first half. I still think there is a flakiness about them though. Even though they won today, they weren't as clinical as you'd like imo. Some of the wides in the first half were terrible. Still I think they have a great chance in the final, they won't have any fear. Kerry untested and Dublin are ponderous in attack without Con imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

Ya can only beat what’s in front of ya … delighted to be back in. All Ireland final after 21 years . Nothing to lose in a way will hopefully make us dangerous . Derry set up from minute 1 to spoil that game and I’m glad they got what they deserved … actuallly I’m glad Gallagher got what he deserved is what I mean . He was at the same crap with Donegal .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Tailteann Cup game was great. Galway v Derry game was an odd one . Would not have called Galway winning beforehand. Comer’s second was the strangest goal I saw in CP. Previously to that Hawkeye was a boost to Galway big roar start of second half.

Derry fans did not seem too disappointed because Derry were well beaten.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Obviously you're too young to remember THAT goal against Paddy Cullen😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

It was obviously an adjustment because they were cutting through them for fun for the first 12 mins but Galway figured out not to go to the man in possession as he was unlikely to shoot. Concentrate on the runner who had just gone for a give and go and they'd cut out the main Derry attacking threat. They cut it out and Derry didn't score from play again for 40mins. An indictment of Derry but kudos should be given to the defence who figured it out as a group. No matter what side the attack came the result was the same.

Kerry or Dublin won't be as one tactically one dimensional but they're also not as solid defensively and won't/can't afford to spend so much time exclusively locking down the Galway attackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Have spare ticket for tomorrow's game (upper Hogan) if anyone interested, will let go for less then asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,601 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I know Kerry and Dublin look at a different level to everyone else but Galway have a great record in finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Haha well I will change it to goal I have seen during my lifetime! In fairness Mikey Sheehy’s one will always be in the mix.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What a ridiculous comment. There are poor umpiring decisions in every second game, should we get rid of those?

The system is obviously out of calibration however, and that needs to be examined. Given what we could see from the generated graphic a camera or goal position looks like it was changed and not entered correctly into the software, that or some other hardware malfunction.

What the team need to do is proper validation before games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yeah.. but it was brilliantly taken and executed. Pass, pass, bang in the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The problem is, you could well have perfectly good points being called wide in a hurling match for example. Hawkeye has intervened an unusually high amount of times in the last few weeks where the game was stopped and a score cancelled. Who's to say it wasn't wrong then?

Calibration isn't a good enough excuse. This is the semi finals of our premier competitions and the company are being paid a fortune to implement it. This wasn't a marginal call either. It was 1m inside the posts and the graphic said 1m outside. It's a major mess and it needs to be sorted or abandoned. There's been too many errors with the system to date.

You can’t get rid of human error.

you can dispense with either equipment that is unreliable or those who may not install and or audit it’s accuracy before it’s live use.

id love to know what testing scenario is in place before it’s use …on match days…

surly the obvious would be to kick points from various angles and of varying heights and speeds, film the balls going over the bar and compare the filmed points to the Hawkeye interpretation… if Hawkeye is accurately representing the actual path and trajectory of the football… off we go.

if a discrepancy is noted, forget it…

nothing ridiculous about anything I’m saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,514 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Watch something controversial will happen now

Galway under no pressure in the final as the media will be heavily going with the winners of Kerry vs Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I was saying it for weeks that I had major doubts over this Derry team despite all the bigging up of them by the pundits.

Ciaran whelan said they were the real deal.

On paper they beat three great sides but in reality, donegal, Tyrone and monaghan were very bad this year.

Clare were not good yet still caused them big problems in defence. Their goalkeeper really showed he wasn't up to the very very top level.

Shane Walsh once again did nothing I'm afraid. Good on the frees but he's supposed to be one of the best in the country yet its another game he didn't stand out in.

What changed the game was kick outs. Derry were getting all theirs out short in the first half. They always had a man free. Second half they had to go long a lot, Galway seemed to somehow work it that they couldn't go short. All they tried to do was hit it to Glass every time.

I don't know what to think about gaelic football today. It feels like 80% of every game is the same every game with attack cycling the ball through the half forward line against a packed defence.

I think the GAA should investigate the merit of placing a second crossbar at high level. If the ball goes above it, it wouldn't be a score and would reduce the amount of scores from long range in hurling. Sensors could be placed around the opening to sense an object breaking the plane or even a net to rule out any questions.

Be a bit of extra drama from balls hitting the upper crossbar and dropping close to goal occasionally too.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

Yes, people saying Galway were cut to shreds in the opening quarter are wrong. It appeared to me that Galway were really focused on not conceding a goal early. They gave up a couple of relatively easy point chances but snuffed out any goal chances. Derry have been hitting teams for early goals in every game. It energises them and gives them a platform to hit teams on the counter. I felt at halftime that Galway would be happy enough with how things went. They went for it a bit more in the second half and put Derry away fairly easily. Derry looked terrible when the had to chase the game. Galways game plan seemed to work well. Derry are very limited in the forward department. Galway have class forwards, Derry held some of them today but Comer cut loose. McDaid did a job on Glass aswell.

I fancy Gakway to go all the way, they have the forwards to do it. No matter who they play it should be a better of a final. Derry are God awful to watch.

Unfair on walsh I think. He's being double marked and created space for others just by the very fact they were dedicating two to him. He was also very important defensively today.

I could see him having a big final against either team as there'll be less emphasis on just negating his influence. Did what was asked off the frees from both feet too. Not an easy thing when you're being held out of a game. At least Derry went the legal way about stopping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The very last thing the football game needs is to discourage long range shooting. The long range shot is often the only way past a blanket defence, imagine if that option was made less viable. The game gets even more defensive again.

Hurling does indeed though need to sort out the farce of being able to score basically anywhere on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

It’s a very different team …. Only Shane Walsh comer and Sean Kelly started in 2018 from the team that started today . Conroy was injured a young Kieran molloy was on the bench along with Heaney .

You can ring the GAA up and tell them it’s a ‘ridiculous’ decision as they have decided to bin Hawkeye for tomorrow.

i really can’t call tomorrow, I’ll go draw.

It' would still an option to kick from long range. The bar would be right at the top of the existing posts. It's not like it's a small target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dubs 13/8 at home in an AI s/f vs a team that havent beaten them in 11 years...cant leave that behind.

And if I lose, i'll be delighted!

Advertisement