Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Snip

Post edited by Same As on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

im going to go for a 4 point win for us but its a nervous nod...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I note Mickey Graham mentioned in one of the interviews that Thursday night will have been the last training session of the year and some of that group won’t be in a Cavan dressing room again. I wonder was that him nodding to a few retirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Tomorrow will be the last time we'll see Gearoid, Martin Reilly and Killian Brady in a Cavan Jersey. 350 odd games for Cavan between them. They deserve to finish their careers in Croke Park with a cup. Let's hope the lads turn up tomorrow and do themselves justice.

yeah i thought that too, any of the older crew owe us nothing

Hopefully they'll get their day in the sun tomorrow

• Advertisement

Do you think will Gearoid go? He’s only about 32 as he was U21 in 2011. Martin I think will definitely go. I could see Chris Conroy going too as he has only been a bit part player this year and is now 30.

Team named:

Ray

McLoughlin

Faulkner

Gunner

Oisin Kiernan

Killian Clarke

Conor Brady

J Smith

T Galligan

Gerry

Gearoid

Moynagh

Cian Madden

Lynch

M Reilly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Conor Brady, Conor Moynagh, Martin Reilly and Cian Madden named to start.

I often wonder did poor Luke Fortune piss in Mickey Grahams Corn Flakes at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Probably don't know enough about westmeath to say this, but i see no other result than a cavan victory tomorrow. Playing more competitive, stronger teams in ulster championship football, a couple of seasons in division 1 & more in 2.granted we fell to 4, record still shows a more experienced team, playing at a higher level.

Travel in expectation. Cavan by 5 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Brave prediction I think Westmeath are a decent side I hope you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I agree. Martin has been immense for us and a real class act but the last two years he’s not had much luck with injuries.

Gearoid is playing as well as he’s ever done- there’s years left in him if he wants to keep going. Wouldn’t be surprised if Niall Murray might also step away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I think they are decent but looking at their results in league & Championship there’s nothing much to shout about. I think the semi final result is ideal for us- we are talked down for a shabby performance against Sligo & they are talked up for tanking a well below par Offaly. It will be tight but if we bring our A game, I think it’s ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Well lads, I have to say that was as disappointing a result and performance as I've seen in a good while and I think it answers a few questions about the level we are at and that level is Div3/Div2. I've never said a negative word about Mickey Graham but I have to say it's the end of the road for him. I will always be grateful for that ulster in 2020 but the facts are we went from Div 1 to Div 4, we were very poor in Div4 sqeaking a load of games including the final. We were poor against Sligo and got away with it and now we've totally bottled it in the Tailtean final. We put in a performance against Donegal but we can see now that they weren't that great either. I can see a few retirements coming and I think a clear out of management needed too and we try something new next yr. Today was terrible. We put zero pressure on westmeath kickout, we were as open as a gate at the back just like in the semi. Ray and Thomas galligan bottled it and our attack relied on worldly scores from outside the scoring zone from gerry smith and paddy lynch. Change is needed.

too angry to write now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Yes we were poor but had got ourselves into a winning position then Cassidy did us again. I haven't saw a replay but live it never looked a sending off, I'd have said a free against was harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,890 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It was a clear red card. I don’t know if he connected with the elbow but it looked like he did and the tackle was reckless anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

It was a shoulder to the chest at full pelt. Some days you get away with a yellow others you don't. Totally stupid from Galligan who I thought was very very poor today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I thought the Westmeath player more fell into the challenge, need to see the replay tonight. I agree he was shockingly poor today up to that anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

Couple of overly confident/almost arrogant posts above before the game lads! You'd swear ye were playing Division 1 all year! This was always going to be a tight game, Westmeath a division higher in the league and thought we won most of the individual battles with McKiernan, Galligan, Smith, Lynch not getting the better of their men. Westmeath the fitter, more coherant team who played better football after a nervous first 10 minutes. Red card was a red and maybe somewhat of a factor but not like ye were 6 or 7 points up at the time either. Soft enough goal conceded by Westmeath too. Better team won! Iarmhí abú!!

and you’ve just posted an arrogant message here and are an ungracious loser into the bargain, your goal was even softer than ours if not a foul, sending off was huge as we were on top at that point, was always going to be tight and could have gone either way, lots of players cancelled each other out but Lynch kicked some beautiful scores on his man. well done to Westmeath now stop gloating on our forum

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

Nothing arrogant about it Sir. Just pointing out your over-confidence on this and other forums I've read during the week. Cavan to win pulling up by 5-6 points seemed to be the general consensus among your fellow County men, which I thought was a little disrespect towards Westmeath, especially as ye struggled for large parts v Sligo in the semi final and played out of Division 4 of the league. Plenty of very decent footballers in that Westmeath team who've played in Leinster finals and higher up the divisions in the Allianz leagues. Also, our goal was certainly not a foul as the rules states that "any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by doing so". So no issue there whatsoever. Westmeath were never going to just fall away in the last 15 mins either regardless of the red card, it was tit for tat all game and Westmeath didn't lack for fitness either.

I'm also well entitled to post on any forum I wish. That's what they're for!! Can't have it all your own way, you certainly didn't today!

All the best for 2023!! :)

You can’t blame the referee for that performance. It was poor all over the pitch. From our kick outs to our frees. We scored one free out of 4 according to GAA stats. 25% conversion. What game would that win?

We only won 73% of our own kick outs. Westmeath won 100% as we seemed to go with some ridiculous half press where we pressed them but let a short kick out go ahead. Our own strategy was summed up by Ray kicking the ball the wrong side of Gerry when Padraig Faulkner had been standing for near a minute totally free on the wing.

Niall Carolan gave his man a 5 yard start for the goal. I don’t like to run down young lads but why was he on the pitch when Luke Fortune played in every game when we won Ulster?

There are too many disappointing factors about the game to continue typing, the biggest being that, as badly as we played, the match was still there for the taking.

Of course you are entitled to post on any forum but having a go on another county’s forum to gloat just after they’ve lost is a pretty s**t thing to do. Why don’t you just enjoy a great day for your team on your own forum and be glad you came out the right side of what you rightfully called a tit for tat game. The vast majority of Cavan fans said this would be close so enough of your persecution complex. And it was a soft goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Fans back their teams! That's what's fans do and that pretty much sums up the essence of being a fan. Instead, of just actually enjoying winning a final though, you're instead preoccupied with what Cavan fans who like every other fan are essentially biased towards their own team anyways - did or didn't say before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Just on bus heading home now, past second toll,

Very disappointing today, I honestly can't blame any of the players over today.

Tactically we were awful today, just like throughout the Tailteann Cup.

It's as if we set out thinking we could blast every other team in the competition,off the field and didnt have to worry about defending at all.

You could have landed a 747 in our backline today and killed noone, Gunner,Faulkner, etc were left out to dry with no protection,just like the Sligo game.

How many points did Westmeath score with zero pressure at all?

As grateful as I am over the 2020 season,I don't think this management team are capable of taking this group any further judging on their setting up of the team up during this competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Disappointing performance today but it was great to have 3 days out in Croke Park this year.

This club championship is massive for the county team. Hopefully we can unearth a couple of young lads to come in, hopefully we can get more fellas to commit as I still believe if we get the best 26 footballers Cavan has on the panel together we can compete for Ulster's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

What was our sweeper doing today ? Build up play to slow allowing Westmeath to retreat and in fairness to them they got there match ups right and bottled up the scoring zone.

Gerry Smith could have won a medal today for standing solo's and going backwards I expected more from him he should be driving forward but I suppose there wasn't much going on ahead off him alot off the time.

• Advertisement

Time for some realism. I said last year we should have been beating Div 3 teams after winning Ulster. Since then we have lost to Fermanagh, Derry, Wicklow, Tyrone, Tipp, Donegal (who don’t appear to be the team they were) and now Westmeath. We’re a long way from competing for Ulster and it’s going to be a long six months until McKenna Cup.

Advertisement