Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

UKMO cloud predictions for tomorrow afternoon. Midlands look like having to contend with more banks of cloud ☁️

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Todays highs

Moorepark 24.9

Shannon 24.2

Oak Park 24.0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

I note that wisp of cloud near Enniscrone. Will that be the one that means the beaches of Sligo will be 15c n foggy or will we have our hottest day of 2022? All on a knife-edge. Our top 3 days of 2022 in temperature terms in Sligo are

1. 20.3c

2. 20.1c

3. 19.8c

Surely Sunday July 10th you can do it n be the hottest day in Sligo since September 26th 2021.

Also the cloud bank in the middle stretches to Sligo 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Look at how crazy the GFS is for max temps in England Monday week compared to all the other models (e.g. the ECM). I think it's gotten too much sun. It has 850-hPa temperatures of 28 C compared to around 10 C for the other models.

Ensemble heatmaps for London.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Yeah crazy stuff. Don’t trust the GFS model. ECM & GEM etc will probably be right. GFS 18z might be sober tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It ain't, it's even more ridiculous than the 12z. 31C over Cork and more widespread 40s over England on the 17th nearing the Welsh border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Ok. If it’s still showing these mad temperatures after the 12z’s tomorrow then I’ll take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

ECM certainly more subdued on that extreme heat potential, only allows some into southeast England for one day (Sunday) and moves it out quickly compared to GFS which lingers through Monday (and builds up to a greater intensity). On GFS 582 dm thickness reaches London, 594 dm heights in Channel. Those are probably near the climate limit (as a pair, you might get a higher 500 mb height).

The one thing about the GFS that I could say is, recent months it seems to be a top performer, and last year, it certainly gave us a very realistic one-week warning of our own extreme heat event (as did the GEM).

The ECM solution looks more like the one-day heat spike of 1st July 2015 or 20th July 2016; GFS is more like the 2019 heat wave or the August 2003 event.

Time will tell. The way that the Tuesday frontal event has changed on models in last 24h, you can see that model reliability has a bit of a cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Be a lot more than that for me to start taking it seriously. The fact we've seen lots of runs like it in the past week though is nothing short of extraordinary. Either a big well done to the GFS or it'll be a massive fail although a fail would be good in this case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Please god the gfs is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Looks like I'll be bringing an ice pack to bed again tonight it's so warm, i like warm/hot days but cool nights lol

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

I'm bewildered, with this sort of set up with the azores high nosing in from the south west you would think the east would do well out of this set up ,but no its been dark and dull here for the past 3 days bar the odd hr or 2 of sun in the evening while most of the west and south west have been basking in it,let's hope this cloud finally burns off tomorrow here in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It may be something like this -- it has been so stable in the mid-levels for days that the low cloud that was quite persistent over the west early in the week got pushed slowly east but it can't break up (at least in large amounts), with a bit more wind aloft it may finally begin to break tomorrow just in time for the next batch of frontal cloud to start moving in on Monday. Then I have to wonder if middle of next week might not create a similar cycle of western low cloud becoming central to eastern low cloud before it all blasts away, because all that extreme heat moving north out of France is going to over-run the cooler air and keep an inversion in place (this around Thursday-Friday). Anyway, you really don't want to get in on any mid-30s to low 40s if anyone wants that desperately, book a weekend in Paris and that should take care of the longing.

Beautiful sunrise here over southern Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Blue skies this morning and hot already on the West coast, it was a wondrous sight watching the mist burn off early this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Thick cloud, again. Dissapointing.

Co. Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Think cloud burning off better this morning, hopefully everyone gets in on the act today. Hot and sunny again here already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

MT's forecast this morning has vastly downgraded the potential high temperatures. No one wants severe heat in ireland but two or three days of high temps, say 28 to 32, would have been welcome. Ah well, maybe next year.

incredibly dull on the East coast so far. I had a swim at 8am in Mornington and looked over to Carlingford and the Mournes and they were all covered in cloud too. I chatted to my daughters, one in Limerick and one in Kerry and its blue skies and sunshine there, same yesterday. I'm delighted for them as they often get a raw deal while the East basks in sunshine.

At this stage looking at the incredible heat in Europe and the UK (my sister over there says the grass is completely burnt and that's before next weekend forecast of record breaking heat!!) I am happy enough anyway to have whatever Ireland throws at us. I used to get jealous of other counties getting sun but the way the world is going I predict there will be tourists visiting Ireland for the cloud and rain in the next decade.

Off to do a day of gardening without getting burnt. Every cloud has a silver lining!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Where would be the best place for sun and warm temps today folks?

Cloudy here. Hopeful it burns off in the couple of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It’s actually cloudy in cork city - patches of blue sky but at the moment different to yesterday where it was completely clear blue sky. I expect this will change again soon though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A rather nice 21 degrees at Belmullet at 10am

Up at 21c this morning over southern Laois, but since sunrise it has become cloudier with six octas now covered in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The cloud is very localized, glorious again down East.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

There is a strange yellow orb in the sky over Dublin 7. I hear tell its something called The Sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sunless in Sligo yet again. Us and Donegal must be the dullest places on the planet.

Advertisement