Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Lord jesus, that's your solution to an error with hawkeye?

I doubt it would take long to investigate the merit of that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Anyone hear rumours that food poisoning is affecting some of the Kerry lads tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Gael85

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It isn't ridiculous to not use it until they figure out what went wrong.

Assuming that it can be fixed, it would also be ridiculous to bin it in that instance too.

They do need to improve match day testing and validation, however it's through failures that procedures get improved.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's one thing a goalkeeper going upfield but it's another thing when that goalkeeper is not good enough to do it.

Rafferty for armagh did very well, knew when to do it. But the Derry lad wasn't going to sprint by anyone and didn't have the skills on the ball.

I don't remember him doing it in previous games? Was it a new tactic from dryhands Gallagher?

Goalkeeping has developed crazily in the last few years alone. I can't remember, was the short kick out started by cluxton? If it was, seems mad to think it was revolutionary at one stage when everyone does it now. Or was cluxton more known for the one who brought in the accurate pinged kickouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Derry bottled it in CP. Much better team than that. All Ireland final is tomorrow imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,519 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Figuring out want went wrong is one thing.

but ensuring that the system won’t be inaccurate again is more important.

A system that has such a large impact potentially on results needs to be 100% failsafe.

again.. was it human error in its calibration or installation ? Or is the system itself potentially unreliable ?

remember we are talking well over a meter of a discrepancy here from the actual real life path of the football and what Hawkeye showed us..

A massive discrepancy. Huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Both. Cluxton went so short, lads were receiving the kick out on their own end line.

They changed the rules so it had to be outside the 20 so he mastered the long, accurate kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Short kick out came into effect in the past 10 years, after Mc guiness as his team would just flood back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Great to see Galway back in a final.

In fairness, its over due, u21 and minor suceess throughout last decade. Corofin as well.

Joyce had them well drilled, and cian O'Neil is a big plus for him this years, loads of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How many points did we just accept the result of hawkeye for? I was thinking of other matches where I thkuhjt it was strange that the shot was so bad.

Conor Glass point was so so so close. Could they put lasers on the posts up another 40 feet? Then if the laser breaks then it means the ball hit the post and it woukd be no score.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Hopefully the game tomorrow is better than that dirt today. Football is dying right in front of our eyes, that was a very bad advertisement for football today. slow build up, 15 men in your own half, balls going backwards. keepers up in the opposition full forward line trying to shoot. The GAA need to make some rule changes before the fans stop turning up. I mean these were supposed to be 2 of the best teams in the Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

They should ban forwards from going back behind the halfway line for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Interesting suggestion, I'd say the health and safety man might not approve, if it broke and fell it could be quite a scene. I doubt they'll go there,but I can see your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,519 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Periods there where Derry were just… employing what to me were ridiculously negative tactics. Loosing but absolutely packing everything and everybody behind the ball when Galway had possession… I’m thinking Derry lost that as much on the sideline as they did on the pitch.

8 scores in 74/75 minutes

Their goal came too late..74 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A poster here after the quarter finals suggested that Derry would struggle because they did not score much.

They only got 13 points v Clare, obviously supplemented by 5 goals thanks to a wide open Clare.

And it was shown today, they only scored 6 against a much tougher defensive opponent, and their goal was certainly in garbage time.

And today Galway did not fare much better, 14 points from just 10 scores will not beat Dublin or Kerry

They have to be back scoring in the 20 point range like they did v Armagh to have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

It was a similar semi final to Dublin v Donegal in 2011 whereby scores was a rare as hens teeth. Dubs went on to win the 2011 final while Donegal came back with improved system of play the following year. Not sure if Derry have as much room for improvement as Donegal had back then and Gallagher is no McGuinness.

• Advertisement

For all the criticism of Gallagher has received (and rightly so in many ways), he's still taken a complete rabble team from D3/4 and won an ulster title so he deserves credit for that despite the way they played. Hopefully he can develop a better style from here on because today was awful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Don't know about the death of football, this defensive system has been around for a long time now and has always been overturned by good footballers.

Nobody has ever defended their way to a major trophy, and hopefully they never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Hi Fr Todd, bless you for your advice however Galway are in the final with a set of forwards that can win matches, not relying on running half backs to take scores. They have a quality midfield and a tenacious set of backs with a good system, the keeper was decent today as well. We have a management that seem to be learning from mistakes and getting things right. We have a decent chance, we have no baggage and no fear of finals, we are underdogs in the final we know that but it will take a good team to beat us not a precieved curse or mental lack of composure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It is awful to watch though. Some people say its like soccer now but I think its actually slower than soccer at times, the ball doesn't go backwards as much in soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I have images of Jack O Connor going around the hotel last night asking the players if they had the fish or chicken? Airplane style. Lets hope most had the fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Anyone know if today's game is a draw is it extra time or a replay next week ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Is .

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Avon8

1-20 to 22 pts, 1-14 to 16pts, 2-19 to 2-16, 3-18 to 2-21. Galways last 4 games. What was the differentiator yesterday? Derry. They're the bubonic plague in football terms.

The must full on sprint all day was when they turned over and had to get everyone back inside their 45 in 6 seconds. Thank god Galway didn't play into their hands. It's not pretty but it's the only way to grind these teams down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

I'm amused as to what people were expecting to see today. Am I the only stooge that found this interesting. Derry have used this system all year and won Ulster with it after a stinker of an Ulster Final. Galway were presented with the challenge of breaking the code and it seems to me they did it perfectly. They mirrored the Derry system didn't concede an early goal and eventually relied on their vastly superior forward power to get them over the line, it may not have been pretty to watch but it definitely was entertaining from a tactical viewpoint. Don't get me wrong, I was delighted Derry were beaten and that good footballers were able to overcome this systematic game that Gallagher had developed. I always felt Derry would come up short against the elite teams and that Ulster is massively over hyped. Styles make fights and I think today's semifinal will be a belter as will the final as you will have top class forwards going at it no matter what the final pairing is.

Advertisement