Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed legalization in Ireland

Options
  • 10-07-2022 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

With many Western countries decriminalizing or legalizing cannabis, I wonder what would happen here if the same thing were to take place. No one can argue that while cannabis has it's problems (mainly exacerbating existing mental issues like psychosis and anxiety) it has nothing on alcohol in terms of it's physical, mental, and social harm.

If weed was the main drug of choice and alcohol declined in popularity, how much benefit would we see here apart from tax.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

No. Wits about you it isn't about health, on the contrary its cultural they both have their "draw"backs we're already restricted from drinking outside where you can only smoke and before you know it we'll have a load of naturalized ganja heads given free reign to flaunt it completely.

Not really. Most of the countries/States that have brought it in, don't allow the public smoking of weed, except in designated areas, usually somewhere that is licensed to do so. Anyway, most stoners would prefer to be stoned inside.. outside has too many distractions, and complications. There will be some who will flaunt it but then, those people already do so..

A decline in violent crime. You don't see many violent stoners, unless they've mixed it with another drug, usually alcohol. And while mental isssues such as paranoia can cause problems, again it's rare that they result in violence.

The simple truth is that weed being legalised means that the product available to users could be regulated in quality, removing many of the dangerous substances which cause side-effects. It's never going to be harmless, but legalising it would provide the opportunity to remove many of the negatives associated with it's use.

It's being smoked anyways, so probably best to decriminalise it at the very least. It's a very dangerous drug though; Dr. Jim Lucey (Professor of Psychiatry in TCD, former head of St Patrick's) was on the radio last year where he spoke about the horrifying amount of young people presenting for psychiatric care as a result of cannabis use; many of them with life changing mental health issues such as psychosis. We've this idea that cannabis is associated with listening to 70's rock, watching Farrelly Brother movies, and heatwave Dorritos, but modern strains are hugely potent dissociatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

you gotta love the smokers, always down playing such things, weed truly does fcuk people up, but its time to legalize, and get on with it....

I reckon on an average week these days while I'm out on foot or on the bike I'd get the bang of weed from 3 or 4 cars passing me. Shocking stuff, you want to kill yourself fine but those idiots have no right putting me or anyone else on the road at risk.

• Advertisement

...what about the drivers that are on other medications, including prescribed ones, that really shouldnt be behind the wheel, and those still tanked from the previous night, and those that probably shouldnt be behind a wheel at all, no matter what theyre on or not......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

I'd probably need a good hound out with me to sniff out those ones 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

100% legalise it

Plenty of people in Ireland could do with it too chill out.

...and a gun, jesus we d have the roads sorted quick time!

• Advertisement

There's the makings of a movie/tv show plot in there I feel

What is? The reality that much of the cannabis being sold to young people is of extremely high potency? Or that the result is that cannabis has overtaken all other drugs (including alcohol) for young people seeking help through mental health services? Many of them presenting with psychosis that will impact how they live the rest of their life?

https://www.irishpsychiatry.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/The-Effects-of-Cannabis-on-Mental-Health-Information-Sheet-for-Health-Professionals-CPsychI-14.04.21.pdf

I'm not against less police resources being spent on dealing with people holding small amounts of weed; but the idea that modern cannabis usage is a net positive is preposterous. I will always believe the realities presented by professionals dealing with its impacts, over the "well it never did me any harm" sorts. That applies to all other drugs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭dasdog

It's so lucrative and readily available I don't see what a change legislation would bring. Yeah you have the choice in the Netherlands to walk in to a shop and get top shelf as opposed to spending €20 on a chunk of hash but there is no way the vintner's and those gateway drug believers would allow that.

Post edited by dasdog on

• Registered Users Posts: 83,397 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

there is no way the vintner's and those gateway drug believers would allow that.

No way indeed

This is what I worry about for you nice people when you often talk about decriminalizing again.

Whether it will be the punters or the out of work dealers...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It’s been legal here in Canada for a while. I live in Vancouver which had a reputation for being 420 friendly for a while.

Since it was legalised federally, the standards and control over has made it pretty save and actually quite the market. You have chains now that have fancy boutique-style shops where you can purchase any form of it, so edibles (my go-to, flower, vape, oils etc). All of these are federally controlled in how much can be sold per packet, and with the government having an eye over it, the safety standards and quality are very high.

They mandate how they are packaged as well, in the same way cigarettes are, and have the usual warnings on them. Some have THC and some have CBD and all the rest in between. The choice is bonkers.

The congrats with how it’s seen here to how it is in Ireland is quite amazing. In Ireland it’s a “gateway drug”, whereas here it is just weed…that’s all. It’s used recreationally and pretty much everyone and anyone I know here uses it to some degree. Some use it to control their anxiety in the form of CBD, which doesn’t get you high but relaxes you. I’ve used it before tattoo appointments and flights to great effect. It helps with inflammation from training as well so I’m a fan of it in that regard. Maybe once or twice a week I’ll get high, and the main health concern is the raft of tacos I order when I get the munchies.

The stigma at home doesn’t match up with how it’s perceived here. Everyone and anyone uses it, it’s controlled and available under pretty strict safety standards. I’ve yet to meet someone who says “this weed is great…can’t wait to shoot up some heroin now that I’ve used this gateway drug”.

legalising it would bring in a good lump of money, and also stem the benefits from the illegal sale of it too. But Ireland might be a bit slow on this one…so I wouldn’t hold my breath on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Do we need any more introversion? ..can imagine Bohs at the front of a campaign; for more brownie points maybe a product to endorse strike up one of their lads in the Bob Marley shirt. “after 90 minutes of sheer hell you’re gonna get stoned. psychotropic means imbalance in your cerebral fluids”

the dope is a cop out I’d sooner shoot gear, take some uppers or that. And I’m not endorsing heroin in any way

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,983 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The lads who are making a living from it now won't just magically go away. Nor will have criminal records which allow them to work in the newly-legal industry. They will simply focus on other illegal substances and/or activities, which will likely be more harmful.

How would legalising one be more harmful? Explain the logic behind that one.

It would be the propaganda that came out of the US in the 60s/70s with their war on drugs, largely influenced by the Tobacco and Alcohol administrations, with a range of biased research, which has been used as the foundation for the stance against cannabis. Subsequent US political administrations have sought to reinforce that same message to discourage the use of the drug.

Prior to your post, who had downplayed anything about weed usage? Oh, we're not jumping up and down railing at the negatives involved, but that doesn't make us downplaying anything.. although when you're as anti-weed as you are, I would suppose that anything that didn't place it up there with heroin would be downplaying. And yes, I would say you're "anti-" based on your presence and range of posts on any threads that come up about this topic. Just as I would be "pro-".

Life **** people up. Weed simply exaggerates the problems that people already have... just as any other drug will do.

The congrats with how it’s seen here to how it is in Ireland is quite amazing. In Ireland it’s a “gateway drug”, whereas here it is just weed…that’s all. 

Ahh well, the population in Ireland are to be treated as misguided rebellious children, incapable of making informed and responsible decisions for themselves. I've been doing weed for over two decades now, and quite honestly, it didn't lead me to doing other drugs. If anything, the experience of mixing drugs with weed, taught me not to do it. In fact, I'd say that Alcohol has led me to "try" or participate with more drugs, due to the difference in the buzz involved. Anyone interested in experimenting with drugs will do so, regardless of whether they've tried weed or not.

The stigma against cannabis/Weed in this country isn't based on experiences of the people who smoke/consume weed. It's based on the people who don't... and think they know what's involved.

By legalising, you create a framework, and rules that people are bound by. Those who operate illegally aren't restrained all that much by the law. Legalising weed, would force these people to operate within a system that is capable of regulating their behaviour. The alternative is that they continue peddling a drug that a rather large percentage (a guess on my part) of the population has tried, or does so occasionally.

What would they turn to that would be more harmful? Either they're already dealing in the harder drugs, or have decided not to.. legalising weed wouldn't change that. So what's more harmful?

Only thing I disagree with is the use of “doing” when it comes to weed/cannabis. I like to go with “I use it” now and then, “doing” makes it sound like your on a keto diet or something 🤣

Everyone's "habit" is personal to themselves. 😁

The majority of existing dealers already have convictions, so they are not fit and proper persons to be working in a regulated industry.

You are naive about the effects of P et al.

No.

My preferences are irrelevant.

Such people are not going to be allowed to be employed in any regulated industry. And they won't just go away.

Rubbish. I know a variety of dealers who have never been caught or received any convictions. The Gardai are notorious for releasing small dealers with a warning, especially if that dealer only sells weed/cannabis or the "lesser" drugs. Also, "fit and proper"? Good lord, what are you on about? As long as someone doesn't have any outstanding offenses, then they're capable of doing such management/employment in a regulated industry.

Such a strange post. What makes you such an expert that can pass judgment on others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Drugs are for mugs, kids.

Advertisement