Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

This thread has nothing to do with global economics. It's a honeypot for the downtrodden and psychosomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Netherlands most shop shelves are empty? I was there late last week. You're talking sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Suckler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

Myth is a strong word here. It's well known that China has plans to carry out a special operation against Taiwan someday in the future. That's why they want to use their own currency more for trade. 

China would be vulnerable to western sanctions if it attacked Taiwan. Have watched what's happening to Russia. They're securing their own economy with their own security measures, and yes you can't ditch the petrodollar overnight, but you can start trading in your own currency and set up new digital banking systems that bypass the western ones eventually. 

There's a new global order with BRICS, with China and Russia at the top. It's the beginning of a new way of doing things. The currency market will get very interesting when OPEC nations join BRICS. It's likely other oil-producing nations in the middle east will follow Saudi Arabia who considering joining. Why keep the American dollar if there's a new group making energy decisions for a big chunk of the world? 

This is the actual statement of intent.

" In the aftermath of the Yekaterinburg summit, the BRIC nations announced the need for a new global reserve currency, which would have to be "diverse, stable and predictable"

There are problems in every economy. Although China has its own domestic issues, your speculation over what may happen in housing or other stuff.. It still doesn't change the fact that China still wants to be the world's top dog. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

In hard times, mortgage isn't a big deal if you have a steady income. In 2008, the recession was caused by overborrowing, bad loans, and other factors. Right now, the cost of living is going up and the recession (which may come) hasn't even started. Low to mid-income people will start to struggle more now that the money left over after bills are paid will go towards higher-priced living expenses. If there is a recession and demand drops for certain traded products, it's kind of hit from all sides. It's hard to say what areas of work will be hit by the recession, so we'll wait and see.

The Irish debt skyrocketed from 50 billion to almost 250 billion in over a decade. It'd be unsustainable to manage the debt if taxes dropped off, considering how small the country is . Most people don't think about it, but it's the health of the working economy that keeps the economy going. Any strong hit to the working class economy would cause real trouble and misery. Many people probably won't be able to pay their mortgages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭rogber

It's like toilet paper and pasta at the beginning of COVID again. Total nonsense, people just love a bit of drama

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

Ah the BRICS. The bastions of innovation and not role models of black economies and rampant corruption. The only letter of significance is C. It's not 2009.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

I get your point but seen as Nordstream 1 is stopped fully on Monday and no one is truly certain when it will be switched back on. Then sometimes taking precautions even if not needed is not the worst thing in the world to plan for. Especially with something so important as keeping warm in the middle of Winter.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I don't worry either.Once you have healthy back you will always find who will put bag of coal on it.Health is wealth.

• Advertisement

The South Stream been serviced number of days ago and keep pumping gas no problem.Why there should be problem with Nord Stream 1 ? I tell you why ! South Stream and Nord Stream 2 has turbines made in Russia when Nord Stream 1 has Siemens turbines which been made in Canada.

The Canada stopped gas export to Germany not giving turbine back not the Russia! If turbine would be made in Russia same as for South Stream there wouldn't be problem with gas export to Germany same as trough the South Stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

yeah but canada is returning the repaired turbine after germany basically begged it to

Frankie goes to Hollywood,sorry,Biden goes to Saudi Arabia.This gona be good fun !

BRICS is just a handjob session for autocrats and democratic backsliders. Nobody in the room trusts each other.

A very stable genius in another thread was hailing an Indian Russian commodity currency swop arrangement as the end of the USD. He couldn't process the fact the swop can only function with a dollar peg and be backed by dollar reserves. Went awful quiet afterwards.

Ah the leader of the free world who provides the artillery that incenerates young Russian men lost in Ukraine. Hard to mourn a pile of charred bones but Russian Babushkas better get used to it.

Fancy joining the Chechen boyscouts any time soon? I heard the Defence Ministry in Moscow even pay hush money to families of the great fallen if your people are hard up for cash at the moment. Might get an outhouse or a pig pen out of the transaction.

Leader of free world going to Khashoggi "killer" begging for cheap oil ? Ha,ha,ha,ha :) Highly likely he will not get it,ha ,ha,ha .And what then ? USA will continue buy Russian wheat,oil and fertilizer supporting Putin war agains Ukraine? Money for Putin and weapons for Zelenskij :) Ha ha ha ha :))) Profit from both ends,the only question For how long ? Something tells me until elections in USA in November,ha,ha,ha,ha :) The only question how soon Biden will back to Cooley mountains in county Louth finish his life on pension :)

The taps will open and Putin will drown in the tears of Russian mothers mourning their sons. Death from above by HIMARS. And you'll be still sitting in an ejaculate sodden box room a year from now wondering where your life went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Poetry, or WHATEVER that was supposed to be, is not your thing mate. Jaysus!

I may not agree with everything 1917 says, but he does have some perspectives on domestic events that are badly lacking elsewhere.

• Advertisement

His "perspectives" are worthless. Walls of text, lies and Putinite ejaculate.

In your opinion

You may even be right for the most part, but nonsense like the post I quoted is no better!

90% of what he posts is outright lies. He was caught by the bollocks posting about New Years being deathly quiet in his town (Ireland was in lockdown at the time). He's likely not even posting from Ireland and has no connection with the country. Nonsense about empty shelves in Holland when people who actually live there are telling him he's talking sh*t.

That's not my opinion. He's an outright liar and class-A troll.

Well the truth is that it's certainly very likely that realpolitik will set in as the winter does and Ukraine will be pressured to accept a deal that ends the current conflict and returns energy supplies to Europe to normal.

I doubt many in the West thought that Zelensky would make a fight of it, or that Putin would keep it going as long as he has, but then that's a problem in itself - Putin is of a different age and mindset, and we don't have any Western leaders left who know how to deal with that.

Agree about no real leaders left ! Golden Words ! Only chancers and dancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Well I would imagine the Western response would be different if the likes of Thatcher and Reagan were still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Went out for a meal and a few pints Saturday and today in my local town.

Absolutely dead, was only a few other people in the restaurant.

Passing other restaurants and pubs around the town they were all empty.

So let's look at all this cheap circus.

Sanctions against oil from Russia brought prices up .Putin got 98 billions extra profit when Biden running around the world and begging for cheap oil from Putin allies and doesn't looks like he will get it,more ! If USA will put pressure on China, Russia,India allies USA will not get anything! Let's remember how ended USA negotiations in Venezuela month ago.I would like remind that Saudi Arabia signing agreement with China about using yuan in oil trade and already said USA that doesn't have more oil and all limits are reached:)

I know what Biden will offer to Saudia Arabia king.We will send Khashoggi court case to the bin ( date expiring this year August) and you will give us cheap oil.If not then sanctions and Saudi Arabia 800 billions will be frozen same as Russian.But here USA will play very seriously because if they do that nobody will need US dollars anymore :)

Gas.Circus with turbine.I am absolutely sure that decision send turbine back got approval in USA ! Giving turbine back Canada and Germany Broke own sanctions and putted Germany interest above Kyiv ! Unfortunately this will not help Germany fill storages before winter because pipe line still has to be serviced using serviced turbine in Canada.So guys,to survive this winter Germany will have start use Nord Stream 2 and Putin know that very well ! And he looking for it !

War on Ukraine will be ended before Christmas otherwise Biden will be sent home to Ireland ,to Cooley mountains in County Louth and his fellows democrats will send his son to prison for corruption.

This winter will be very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,467 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement