Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Evergreen_7

He’s been giving as good, if not worse, as he gets. Most of his recent tweets are incoherent gibberish. “Bailey researched” let me stop you right there. He’s given out false information, doxxed various people, and believes anything he’s told off random Twitter accounts that claim to be troll hunters etc. hes done nothing but make an absolute idiot of himself.

Bailey interacted with this person via DM. the person has given several SS to others and they’ve since been tweeted. No, it wouldn’t have him arrested unless he actually met the person with the intent to have sex (which he attempted as you can see by the messages), even then, the law around this is pretty sketchy in Ireland.

it hasn’t been all released to the media yet but I believe it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭tinytobe

If there was actually solid evidence beyond reasonable doubt that Bailey was at the murder site, handled the murder weapon and killed Sophie then I wouldn't care less about him, like if he was rotting in a jail, any jail French or Irish, whichever is worse is preferred.

Otherwise Bailey is to remain a free man, both in Ireland and in France and not to be harassed by police or courts, the public and the media.

Sadly for reasons unknown the admins of this board closed the thread regarding the SKY documentary by Jim Sheridan. It's the better documentary. I didn't like the Netflix documentary either, as it doesn't seem to go too much into depth.

Also the "incriminated True Crime" podcast is done pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH3zOMptXdw

Was wondering where the other thread was..why did they close it?

Yes I get ya, but he didn’t get prosecuted, the extradition attempt failed, it didn’t even get to court here. We all know the french conviction was a show trial.

so why exactly does it worry you? Our gardai are corrupt, I completely agree, but our justice system is fair, and in this case it prevailed.

It could easily have been that the murderer picked up that brick on the way to Sophie's house, knocked her unconscious unexpectedly by a blow of the brick at her entrance door, causing all that blood there, then carried her down near the gates, and delivered further blows. A strong man, like Bailey, could have done that.

and the bloodstains on the ground from blood she would have lost on the way down were found where?

• Advertisement

Well, there must have been a reason for the blood stain at the door. Either Sophie was injured there and then ran down to the gate and murdered, or she was only beaten to death near the gates and then the murderer went to the cottage after the murder and caused the stain there? Only what would he be doing there? Looking for something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There were amny wounds inflicted on STDP. Some may have been with a sharper object that a brick? I don't thinka brick was mentioned at all just a large building block that needed 2 hands to wield.

there were no continuous drips of blood as would happen if she was carried to the gate. There was one on a stone in front of the house. She ran in front of the house and across the field/grass not down the lane. the blood on th dor was hers. probabaly she was struck at the door touched the bleeding part and then tried to get back inside. the killer was not inside there were no footprints or any evidence he went in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Seems to be a curious lack of evidence in the house at all. Still it is said that her diary and a axe/poker were missing from the house.

Just wondering, but is it known if that suspected / mentioned Guard from Bantry was at the murder site, early on during the investigation? Would he have been on duty on the next day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

Various things point towards a morning killing (read previous posts).

Lets assume that it did occur in the morning..

If, as suggested.. Sophie was eating her breakfast, what drove her to lace up her boots and go outside?

It probably wasn't a knock at the door, as she would have answered it in her slippers / house shoes, one would imagine..?

There was no struggle in the house, no blood spots anywhere down the lane or the field in front of the house..

This suggests the attack took place down by the gate (logically thinking)?

The murder was not planned... The killer used what was in the vicinity at the time, in this case, a loose block from the pump house..

Now... Sounding like Columbo here.. Who would know there was loose blocks on the top tier of the pump house?

The plot thickens..

Whatever brought Sophie out of the house that morning, she dressed for it (laced up her outdoor boots). she didn't close the door behind her, which suggests she was saying her piece and that was that, intended to come straight back in again.

An argument occurred, it got out of hand, a dreadful deed occurred through sheer rage..

Most killers would run a mile once they realised their victim was dead. The adrenaline kicks in, they need to get as far away from the scene as fast as possible, daybreak is coming, people are getting up... The killer is covered in blood, time is of the essence...

But the opposite happens..

We are led to believe that the blood soaked killer walked up the passage to close Sophie's front door, leaving a smudge of Sophie's blood just below the handle that probably came from the killers sleeve??

Now... Moments previously, Sophie was (we assume) screaming for her life.. The killed bludgeoned her with a concrete block, he is covered in blood.. There is a dead body on the driveway, daylight is coming.... What does he do?

Walks back to Sophie's house to pull the door closed? What if the neighbours had been woken by all the commotion? What if they were on the way down right then?? What if he was seen..??

This dude took his time.. Was he secure in knowing that he was the only man in the area that morning?

Maybe he was?

The question on whether the killing was planned or unplanned leaves a lot of room for interpretation. With utter certainty, I would say, that at least the encounter between the killer and Sophie must have been planned.

He had a reason to go to Sophie's house, but why?

He also knew that she was there, but how did he know that? - maybe he was close to her and even local , maybe a phone call prior, etc...

Also regarding the possibility of being seen or even having witnesses, the house of the Richardson's was in plain view of the gates and that pump house, so he must have been sure, that the house was empty at the time of his visit? How did he know that?

If the murder would have been fully planned the murderer would have brought a weapon? Anything from a gun with a silencer to a baseball bat could have been it. However he managed to either get or lure Sophie to the gates, or where those bricks by the pump house were, which he used as a murder weapon, meaning he must have known they were there and he must have had a reason to lure or get Sophie to the gates?

What was the pump house used for? To get water pressure and running water for the houses in the area? Possibly?

What if the killer knew this and tampered with the pump there, Sophie wanting to take a shower in the morning, shower not working or not having pressure, Sophie getting up, goes straight down in night gown and laced up boots to the pump house to investigate and killer is waiting. In that case the killer also must have known that the pump house supplies drinking water plus the necessary pressure for the houses in the area and the killing was most certainly planned.

Post edited by tinytobe on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

What colour was Jules' fiesta does anyone know?

In the Jim Sheridan documentation, in the 2nd episode it's said that the Fiesta was Bailey's. I don't know if both Jules and Bailey had a car, or if the Fiesta was registered to Jules and Bailey drove it on occasion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

deleted

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Deleted

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

If he had scratched his hands like that at the scene, one might have expected more blood evidence to be found, unless of course it was missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Polly701

I do think that Sophie was up already that morning (first Guard on site saying blood looked wet around nose, stomach contents suggesting breakfast, uncovered bread on counter top, etc)... And saw something outside that prompted her to put on her boots and go outside.

Maybe Alfie had walked by her house and she went after him to talk about the gate, or any house issues (such as her having to change the locks earlier that year as someone was using her property when she wasn't there)? This escalated by the gate.

Or maybe her ex boyfriend (Carbonnet, who had previously been violent towards her) pulled his car up at the gate - he hoped to make a grand romantic gesture (bottle of wine thrown in ditch?)..but she told him to leave and he flew into a rage?

Somebody killed her and I don't think it was Bailey.

I've found a good overview here:

I think it's worth a read and consideration, also a bit of insight on the husband / hitman theory.

i agree. i know someone who knows what what down there and they told me they reckon bailey did it. I tend to agree. a lot of things do not make the media or public discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ah ya there's a load of conspiracy stuff on here re: Alfie and hitmen using blocks and people will always look away from the obvious answer

We're not here to convict bailey it's all mere speculation

From everything I've digested on the matter and there's a lot pointing towards bailey l reckon he's the likely culprit

As far as I can see he enjoys that he got away with it and thrives on it

Mick Clifford asked bailey why he lost the libel trial

He had some bs answer about the newspaper getting discovery before the defence or some waffle

Then in one of the movies he went schtum when asked an awkward question

All the other stuff about bonfires and pine trees and plucking turkeys ya couldn't make half of it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,877 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The libel trial was a farce. Look at who the presiding judge was and what other cases in the area he was involved in.

The core issues were excluded because of time elapsed.

Are you saying there was no fire? That he didn't cut down a christmas tree? That he didn't kill a turkey? They were made up?

Your post doesn't make any sense.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You could fill books, and people have, with the number of innocent people who ended up in jail because the locals \ local police reckon X did it. X is usually an unlikeable character \ own worst enemy \ member of a minority \ newcomer.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

Well ya but you're saying my post makes no sense and you're blaming the judge now for bailey losing the libel trial ?

The other conspiracy theory it was dead Garda that killed her and the force covered it up

So no comment on the judge in the libel trial being the same judge who was involved in cases with witnesses?

Or that many of the points \ evidence Bailey wanted to raise were excluded from the trial?

The judge gave a witness in the case a remarkably easy sentence for a sophisticated drugs growing operation. The same judge in other drugs cases gave out much harsher sentences for far less. The judge shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near the libel trial.

You said "You couldn't make it up".

Make what up? You aren't making any sense.

Are you saying there was no fire? That he didn't cut down a christmas tree? That he didn't kill a turkey? They were made up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Kirk from your research please give us all the evidence that convinces you that Bailey done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Well, it does concern me & it should concern everyone here too.

No gards were prosecuted or even disciplined for deliberately trying to frame an innocent man. They completely defamed and slandered him in the local community, bribed local addicts to come forward about him, heavily pressured Marie Farrell to amend her statement so that it would fit Bailey among many many other things. And now all these boyos are retired on nice pensions courtesy of the Irish taxpayer.

It only didnt get to court because the DPP defied political influence & garda pressure. If the DPP was anyway weaker, Ive no doubt Bailey would have been tried here on false evidence & dodgy witness accounts. God knows what the gards would have tried to get the conviction.

Bailey was convicted in a Kangaroo court in France & they were aided in doing this by the Irish government & the gards. Extradition was only refused at the very last stage, the supreme court here. Id like to see what things would have been like had an Irish women in France been murdered & the main suspect was a French citizen. Do you think for one second the French govt or police would have helped the gards or even contemplated extraditing this citizen, would they ****. The Irish govt currently in power have shown they are more than happy to send one of their own people for a show trial in a foreign country if it helps their own image abroad. Thats disgusting frankly.

On top of this, lots of people have had their lives destroyed because of this corruption & immorality, Bailey, Jules Thomas, her family, STDP's family amongst other people because valuable time was wasted in going after Bailey instead of other leads. So its not a case of no harm done because he wasnt extradited at the very end, plenty of harm was done to alot of people

Any ideas about this trip. It seems the have a credible DNA sample and want to compare it with somebody in France. By the sounds of it, this is related to somebody close to her husband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Highly unusual to make it known they have a DNA sample and they are on the way over to check it against a new suspect.

Yer one is a highly unreliable witness, they are following the lead to be seen to be carrying out their investigations to the absolute letter. We will hear in a few weeks this guy has a cast iron alibi for being in France at the time and there is nothing to see here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement