Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CB dead or alive

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭bassy

I'm heating them about the same as you madlad,but as I said before top section of my imax 2000 is missing.

Nice video of the rag chew lol

Yeah very interesting conversation lol.

Seems the IMAX 2000 isn't what it used to be due to it being shorter in length.

I've a new top section for it,but I'm not what I used to be with regards height and going up on chimney lol is chameleon like a web sdr ??

No the Chameleon MPAS 2.0 is a portable Ham Antenna, 17 foot tall, works amazing really for it's size, I leave it on the front lawn all the time and connected to the FT-891 in the sitting room, Have got some amazing DX on it especially on 20m in the evenings in the Summer, North, Central, South America and Australia a couple of times all with 100w and 4 radials which is far less than optimal.

I noticed when I added the extra 3 radials performance improved especially on 40 m where it's never going to be a performer anyway, I got it for a right bargain from Martin Lynch a lot less than they usually go for so think it was a mistake.

When I added the radials SWR went up as ground losses were being reduced this is normal,

I hope to add a proper vertical sometime, maybe a hustler 6 BTV or 43 foot vertical but you really need an auto tuner at the feed point or losses would be huge over coax.

• Advertisement

No worries m8

How's the CB bands tonight ?

I'm listening to the Digital modes tonight listening to truckers on D-Star and it dawned on me that there are a lot of Truckers these days on Digital and the CB'ers are probably using maybe Zello ?

It would be nice to see more Lorry Drivers in Ireland on CB but I can't remember the last time I say a CB Antenna on a Lorry in Ireland.

what do i need to listen to the truckers on D-star,also what frequenceys and antenna ?

was good skip earlier this evening on 11m

D-Star is purely a digital voice mode, not sure if you can even listen without an Amateur radio call sign.

There is also DMR and Fusion.

On the road these Digi modes are convenient. I just use my Openspot 3 and anytone 878 and I have the Anytone 878 set up so I can, via the Openspot 3 use DMR, D-star and Fusion all from the One radio.

I will try find out if you can listen without a license.

For Digi modes I also use Blue DV for Android and Windows, The Windows version is really good and sound quality via Blue DV is much better, I connect via the DVMEGA Globetrotter which means I don't have to have a dongle connected to each device I use Blue DV on but you can also get the DVMEGA DV Stick 30 dongle.

I just have to find out if you can listen to any of these modes without a call Sign.

• Advertisement

Yeah you are indeed, brain fart.

Dead easy get on DMR, and Fusion, D-Star is a little trickier. Then get the DVMEGA DV Stick 30 and after a quick setup you're on the air way faster than trying to program a DMR radio + you can easily switch between DMR, D-Star and Fusion.

You can register for a DMR ID here https://www.radioid.net/register#!

I think you can listen to DMR withouth an ID here https://hose.brandmeister.network/ you can get the Brandmeister app to listen via mobile.

Register for D-Star here https://regist.dstargateway.org/Dstar.do

Fusion is much easier, once you program your radio with your ID it should just work on Fusion or program the Blue DV software.

Bluedv for windows is here https://software.pa7lim.nl/BlueDV/BETA/Windows/

Blue DV is the simplest cheapest way of accessing digital modes and I don't really care whether I'm using it through a real radio or not, using blue DV and once the TX audio is set properly the audio quality both TX and RX is a lot better than through most radios.

I do use the Anytone 878 UV+ in the car with my Openspot 3 and have it programmed so that I can access DMR, D-Star and Fusion all through the radio and I'm able to switch between modes and channels via the radio itself, a lot of People use 3 different radios with the Openspot 3 and control it via a web browser on the phone but it's not necessiary, it can all be done from the Openspot 3 but I'ts very complicated to set up.

There's an app to use blue DV from an Android device or on Chromebook but you can't do anything else while the Blue DV App is open as it can't run in the background but it will on a Chromebook. It can be handy to have it on a tablet beside you but Blue DV for Windows is much better.

Some audio is very robotic depending on the setup at the other end and some audio is quite good but Blue DV is from what I've heard probably the best, the anytone 878 UV+ sounds decent through the car audio system a lot better than from the radio.

There is also Allstar which has excellent audio quality but I haven't got on that yet.

Digi modes are very convenient when HF isn't.

I Just checked and I'm not signed into Brandmeister on the laptop so you can listen to DMR via hoseline if you want without buying or setting up anything.

@bassy Did you check out the hoseline on brandmeister ? what you think ? don't forget there's an android app too, not sure about Apple.

Forgot to link to the DVMEga DV Stick 30 https://www.combitronics.nl/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=103

IF you were interested in trying out some digital modes I would highly recommend this route and Blue DV for windows and Android because making a code plug for a DMR radio is a lot of hassle, you could get a Fusion radio such as the FT-3D or 5D and all you then have to do is press wires-x and you're on fusion, it's simple as it should be but you will need a hotspot so the cheapest and simplest way to get on Digital is the DVstick and Blue DV and you don't have to mess with hotspots either + it's dead easy to switch between modes and channels.

Ah it's not really my thing especially going through the internet etc I'm more of a old skool proper airwaves man.

Ah yeah I thought the same until I found out that I could still make contacts when I couldn't use HF or where it wasn't practical or in the car.

Hey Bassy, did you listen to the Brandmeister Hoseline ? what ye think ? it's handy to be able to listen in without having to buy anything.

is there any good nets on certain frequenceys on  Brandmeister and what frequenceys are the truckers on ?.

Here's some DMR nets https://www.k6bkd.org/dmr-nets/

So on Hose Line click on player and click the 2 people icon to enter the DMR talk group ID and it will monitor traffic for any talk group ID you put in there.

Here's a list of Brandmeister talk groups, some a lot more active than others. https://brandmeisternetwork.blogspot.com/p/brandmeister-talkgroup-list-there-are.html

TG 2722IE Calling

TG 2723IE Chat

TG 2724Bridge to YSF-IE ( this is a bridge to yaesu fusion )

The Irish Talkgroups are not very active. But with hose line you can monitor the 3 or 4 talk groups and when they become active you will hear the audio and will see the active Talk Group name and Ham operator name and ID.

Truckers can be anywhere really, TG91 or some of the TAC Talk groups in USA and even over on D-Star on REF 30C.

It's funny, there's a lot of Hams who told me it's illegal to TX on CB, why are they telling People this and do they really believe it ? A few of them had me convinced CB was illegal and I risk loosing my Ham license, do some Hams knowingly do this on purpose ? or do they really believe transmitting on the CB band is illegal ?

What's interesting is that in Ireland, AM/FM and SSB is allowed.

https://www.comreg.ie/industry/radio-spectrum/licence-exemptions/list-of-licence-exemptions/

Citizen’s Band (CB)

AM citizens’ band (CB) and PR 27 radio equipment.

Operational modes are AM (1W erp), FM (4W erp) and SSB (4W pep). CB is from 26.96-27.41MHz where forty 10 kHz channels are available.

For more information see S.I. 436 of 1998.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭dubhlinn55

Upto 27.41Mhz sure the international calling channel is 27.555Mhz on usb?

Was about to mention the very same as you there.

Ah I didn't see that so what's the deal there why the restriction ?

I was thinking of getting the President Randy III, never seen such a tiny portable radio, technology has moved on a lot, + the Lithium battery helps reduce that size, seemingly selling like hotcakes in the US because they're now allowed use FM.

The Lithium battery would allow max power for the duration of the charge too. because that would greatly improve local coverage but most are on verticals so this would only work well if both were on inv V antennas.

I never know why so many CB'ers use verticals when not looking for DX ?

Might get the President it to play with , obviously get a much better antenna.

Be good if more locals used inv Dipoles.

Trying to get a friend of mine back into CB he's high up on a hill so have no issue contacting him even with PMR 446 15 mile away I'd say.

The President website says from 26,965 MHz to 27,405 MHz for the Randy III so these must be the standard frequencies for the 40 CH CBs

The ones that transmit above 27,405 must be the unlocked ham gear then ?

Just going back through some of the old posts there and came across this.

So yeah it really does seem like a lot of Hams think they're not allowed on CB but you can work on proper CB channels 26.96-27.41MHz standard 40 CH CB.

This is what I was thinking if more people were on the official frequencies it would give those who can't afford expensive Ham gear a chance to talk to more people and using more FM/Am than USB for the radios that don't have SSB or at least be open to using more than just SSB. Would be mad for instance if I was calling on FM or AM and someone wouldn't talk to me because they only talk on USB or LSB ?

It's crazy, I was just talking to another Ham friend of mine trying to convince him to get his CB and IMAX back in the air and he's insisting CB in Ireland was never legalised ? seriously it's mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭dubhlinn55

Seriously jezzz

Honestly, I know, it was good enough for a lot of them when they started out, it's amazing how many turn their back on CB now who get the Ham license. Probably a lot to do with the fact a lot of People do think it's illegal, ok above 27.41 yeah but still a lot of channels to be used legally.

Anyway, think I'm going to get Imax 2000 and stick it up.

Got talking to some lads on 27.535 tonight one lad in Tip which was mad getting there on 11m to be honest from Carlow.

Antenna is a 17 foot Chameleon MPAS 2.0 Portable on the lawn with 4 radials.

I Got a surprise that the FT-891 is open on 11m. Happy days.

Still would love a proper CB, I love the President Jackson , anyone know of one going in good condition let me know.

Can't wait to see what an Imax 2000 would do, going to put on the pole on the chimney I have the Sat dish and UHF Antenna on. Thought of putting it in the shack but going to put it in the sitting room instead. Not sure yet.

• Advertisement

LOL Just had FM contact with 31lr001 portugal he was using 1.2 Kw 40 over with me, he was using beam.

Advertisement