Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

No worries on that score - both Jack O'Connor and Paddy Tally will be ramming home about that 15 minute spell where we really faded out of the match! Commiserations to Dublin - you put up the resistance that would be expected of a truly great team, and whenever Dubs travel to Tralee, you're generally some of the most knowledgeable and fair-minded fans in the game, so I'm sure it'll be nip and tuck between us again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I'm a sports fan who reads a lot of football and soccer forums and over the years have come to the conclusion that it takes a special type of imbecile to use a still picture freeze frame to prove any side of any argument. BTW I'm a Dublin fan and do not think it was a red card, If it were the other way around I'd be disappointed if one of our players did not try to score from the spill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

As for Farrell, considering the player turnover you've had in the last few years, can't imagine anyone else would have kept things ticking over to the extent he has, though anyone who knows the Dublin county championship scene is free to name potential candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'm not sure what some people have been watching over the past two seasons but there's no way Dessie should be let return next year.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The imbeciles are the lads posting Twitter videos and freeze frames of what happened after he kicked the ball. This after all TV analyst's said it was there to be won

The picture shows it was there to be won.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Why we are a team in transition? kerry made hard work of a team that only played for 10minutes. We had have lost 15 players of 2019 panel including once in generation players Mannion and McCaffrey. It a rebuilding job for Dessie.. I don't see any calibre of manager at underage or club scene to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Agree but what are the alternatives? It’s needs someone who is not afraid to try something different to make the players play better than the sum of their parts. I get the feeling Dessie does not do that. Even though I expected Kerry to win today.

The Dependence on Con is worrying, fb line still susceptible to a simple high ball, no pace in forward line with no Con, no movement from players providing guy in possession with options. Lots of methodical slow side to side, or back ways stuff. Which is why Costello’s goal felt like a surprise.

Same issues from league. No real consistent change as far as I can see. Anyone who watched Farrell’s team knows the way they play.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Lack of movement amongst the forwards was a disappointing aspect today…

I don’t buy that it is not ticking over it is going downhill faster than it should. Who have Dublin beaten in non Covid AI under Farrell? Covid AI was farce really let’s be honest.

How has Dessie Farrell done in league? How has Farrell done on tactics and subs? Plenty of games he was bringing on a sub for five minutes when too late game was lost - happened in loads of league games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That was the losing of the game today. No one looking for the ball.

• Advertisement

Plus As much as a legend Rock is I think Dublin need a free taker who is a danger from play. I think Dublin having to play for frees/marks means less dynamic movement and stop start type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Did you read my post? I agreed that it was there to be won, no argument here. You could possibly argue dangerous play, I'm sure there is some grounds for that in the rules of the game. My point was that you and others using still frames to prove a point is beyond stupid.

Be 33 by the time the next years championship final comes around so by virtue of that and the vast amount of football he’s played…

wiki saying his scoring output is 19-508 across league and All Ireland, phenomenal…

influence from play did seem to be waning last while. But well over 100 intercounty games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Looked a big mistake to not start Paddy Small.

Had a big impact when he came on and brought badly needed movement to the forward line. Scored a point, made a point for KK, caught a great ball for last equalizing free too.

You are depending on Rock for frees. He contributes very little as a player from play. James McCarthy and Fitzsimmons both were influential but bother are on a downward slope. Has çCooper played his last game in a Dublin Jersey.

Fenton and Kilkenny will be 30 this time next year. Dublin will spend next Winter in D2 playing meaningless matches. Can they find 4-5 player in to start to fill the gaps.

How many of McCarthy, Rock, Fitzsimmons and Cooper will be there next year. Fenton and Kilkenny have another 2-3 years before age really starts to catch them. Give it 2-3 years and Costello, Lahiff, Scully and Byrne are all 30ish.

Time is catching this team similar to Mayo. It's similar to Kerry from 2015-2017 they get you so far in championship but they will not win one

Slava Ukrainii

Yeah doesn’t feel right saying his time is up as a starter. But if it means a change in playing style for the better overall…

But I would definitely keep Rock on the panel for as long as he wants as he could be giving up and coming freetakers tips etc. Invaluable to have someone like him around the panel. According to todays programme starred in CnaB in CP aged 10 back in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

That's what I said Dublin are team in transition. People think a change of manager will help Dublin. We don't have quality of player as show today.

The problem with holding older players on the panel is they are keeping a younger one off it. As well most older players that have a few medals are unwilling to sit on a bench.

Kerry went through the same phase with Bryan Sheahan. Keeping him on the bench for matches bringing him.on with 10 to go to alot over the long range frees conceeded by the opposition. It got to be a farce was it in the 2015 game Fitzmaurice had him on the sideline for 2-3 minutes waiting for a free to bring him on to take it.

TBH I hope Dublin let's these players there for another 2-4 years. It will put the building process back by that or longer

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Watched some of the game back, something i rarely do with defeats but i was bored...

Kerry doubled up effectively on the men they knew could go passed a man. Every time Kilkenny got the ball they worked an extra man over to him to cover. That's the kind of detail that wins games.

Kerry routinely, and cynically, fouled to stop quick Dublin transitions. The only exception the goal when they couldn't get a hand on a Dub. That's the kind of detail that wins games.

Kerry had a plan in place to get their best shooters in positions to score. Donegal used to do the same under McGuinness and Dublin under Gavin. That's the kind of detail that wins games.

I don't care what people say about the production line and/or the alternatives to replace Farrell but I know he cannot be the best man for the job. Too much escapes his attention and it's obvious when you see the final product. His bullshit about giving players exposure and building a new squad/new identity is exactly that...bullshit.

Oh and Lahiff put in a huge shift.

Goal was lucky enough, a good goal to get but lucky. Costello knew what he was doing but he was a long way out and the ball just got inside the far post. 2 times out of three those kicks are wide balls.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Feel bad for Dessie Farrell. Folks on twitter making out like it was an embarrassment to the team, but in actuality it came down to one cruel kick of the ball.

I don't think Farrell should be replaced. He's still building a team, he's lost a lot of people in the last few years. I will say there were some moments of off the ball shenanigans that showed Dublin's composure was lacking. You wouldn't have seen it under the likes of Gavin. As someone informed me, Gavin's take was 'if you've the energy to start fights, you're not playing enough football'.

I wonder if Farrell will stay on, however. I know he's been open about issues around his mental health. And the type of scrutiny that you get from the media, and the fans, regarding Dublin... might not be worth it.

Have to say the GAA as an organisation must get more proactive as regards tactical fouling in the latter stages of games…

almost like the ref is hesitant to stop playing to card as the perpetrating team will use the situation to take the card, argue and slow down play and strip the team in possession of time and of their momentum..

But that only leads to perpetual fouling… as the card is supposed to be the deterrent…

one way i could see it sped up….a wrist wallet… top is yellow, bottom both red and black. Side.. pen

wrist wallet is a ‘thing already’

pull the card, T7 D8… etc show … play… take 7 seconds…. No admonishment, lectures, debates, just card and away…

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Dublin showed great heart today. Some serious men of character on that team. Hats off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

`james mccarthy needs a special mention tonight , as far as work rate goes hes the best in the game , on a closer look he looks like he is well able to sledge as well , todays peformance was fantastic hes coming to the end of his career and just played off the cuff , a sensational footballer

hard luck today lads but as lee keegan said yesterday the warning signs were there ,, con was a massive loss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Hard to name anyone who is a likely candidate to replace Dessie if there is going to be a change .I have been critical of his performances over the last two years he seems to have little tactical nous showed up again against Kerry . It takes very little to make the semi finals at the moment we beat very poor teams like last year to get that far .Lack of composure particularly at the end of the semi finals proved very costly you did not see that under Jim in fact quite the opposite. That is down to the manager and his team to have sorted .

Post edited by rolling boh on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I don't think anyone would dispute that fact. My issue with Farrell is that he is naive in the extreme when it comes to tactics. Take this year's league, he had very limited time with the team due to extra COVID scrutiny yet decided to play crazy football in stormy conditions. This seen us beaten out the gate in many of the games and relegated to D2. There's no way this panel should be getting relegated and a better manager plays the conditions as well as the opposition.

Why did we play with two men around the square when they were very static and there was very little ball played in to them?

Mick Fitz got his arse handed to him today in that first half because there was no protection around him. It's been clear all season he's struggling being left alone in there.

I also don't like how he's using Howard as a sweeper. Sure he can do a job but he's far more dangerous at the other end of the pitch where he can provide that burst of pace to unlock a packed defense and make things happen.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I think it was good of Farrell to keep a couple of good forwards in Small and Scully on the bench. It's a squad game now and Jim Gavin always wanted big players to come in and 'finish' the game. If Small started theres no guarantee he would have played as well and Lorcan O Dell may have had no influence if brought on. So i was happy enough to have the likes of Byrne, Small annd Scully to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That was something that really stood out for me as well. So many times they worked the ball up into the corners of the Kerry half only to kick wides from tight angles or be turned over because they ran out of options. It looked very easy to defend against.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭C__MC

Skully missed a bad one in injury time

72 mins I reckon

You just knew if it was a Jim Gavin team, it would be worked to the shooter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭billyhead

I mentioned it before here but the DCB should sound out Brian Mullins.

Post edited by billyhead on

Advertisement