Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Kilkenny has been misused by Dublin for years imo. I thought that even when they were winning everything around them. He's very good at the playmaker role but he's such a great scorer that I would have had him closer to goal. He can find space from nowhere, one of the best scorers I've seen and can't help but think he's wasted hand passing and hand passing and hand passing around the middle third.

Really thought he would be used more as a forward in O'Callaghan's absence at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,519 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

His lot are too busy lying on the deck on top of footballs to get a good look at collecting Sam…plenty of exercise walking up them steps throughout the last 10 years though, 6 times was it ? Wow 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Avon8

Emm yeah. They play both sports and have the third most football wins. By far and away the third best football county. Look at the the underage and club stats also

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Avon8

When have the hurlers have poor attendances? Dipped slightly the last day with the bare 20k, probably down to cost of living and Limerick being dominant. Had the majority of the crowd for virtually every game for the previous decade , sans possibly the Limerick final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭eggy81

Don’t think he was wrong to go for the ball as he did with his right foot. I think the left foot was an attempt to leave something on him though. I know some will say it’s momentum but he dosent need to take that extra step and could have jumped or avoided contact if he wanted I reckon. Should have got yellow imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

Should the penalty have been retaken because the goalie was off his line?

He definitely moved forward and his left foot was well off the line. His right heel may have grazed the line when the ball was struck.

What is the rule, is it both feet on the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

Found this on the GAA referee rule handbook website

"The goalkeeper may move along his line but may not move forward until the ball is kicked. "

I'm sure he moved forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I was at the game as a neutral and what a game to go to.

In the first half I was thinking "why the **** don't dublin play like this against kildare" - they were so flat, completely risk averse, afraid or unwilling to take the game to kerry, take a shot from middle distance, ignoring runners on favour of easy lateral passes. What happened to the Dublin teams that came out and blitzed a team, then managed the game to the end? They are doing the complete opposite now. I think dublin had the beating of kerry if they had backed themselves.

Re the penalty incident, the replays show that both of seanie osheas feet are off the ground - not sure how you can claim it was a deliberate kick when he was sailing through the air

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Also as a kildare man it's interesting that our two previous managers will be on opposing sidelines on all ireland final day

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Because age is catching them. Like the 87 Munster final where the great Kerry team died with there boots on, this Dublin team had it's last Hooray today. Dublins best players today were Kilkenny, Fenton,( both 30 this time next year) Fitzsimmons, Cooper, McCarthy ( all over 30). Kerry were very nervy in the third quarter but still ground out the match.

They were lucky they were not blitzed today. Kerry should have scored the penalty and Stephen O'Brien should have scored that other goal. If either went in Dublin would have lost by 5+. But to be fair they ground there way into the match to nearly take it to extra time.

Two weeks ago people were on about how poor Mayo were. But in reality the Kerry backs are putting fierce pressure on forwards when they try to kick the ball.

This Kerry team is without two backs that would probably start ahead of two of the present six. If Dublin had over committed to the attack, Kerry would have scored more on the counter

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Best game of football I've seen this year. Dublin can't play at the pace of old..naturally.

Dean Rock beginning to look a passenger from play. Fitzsimmons and McCarthy great warriors.

Great score from Seanie O'Se. Kerry favourites for the All Ireland. Galway in a nice position.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Dublin won all irelands in a row , are you seriously trying claim not one of them are better than david clifford hahahahahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya Galway in a good place. Gavin White picked up a bad injury late on in the game. Had to be carried off. He may not be fit for the final.

A lot of people are underestimating that Galway team. However they have all decent footballers, half back line a bit suspect, but so is Kerry's if White is missing.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It isn't the teams i'm annoyed at for the poor games, it is the GAA for not making rule changes to improve the games. For example, I don't think you should be allowed have 15 of your own players in your own half, the goalkeepers shouldn't be allowed come past the half way line, there shouldn't be more than 2 players tackle 1 opposition player. The blanket defense makes the game slower and less exciting.

Yesterdays game was very good as I knew it would be, you can always reply on Dublin, Kerry and Mayo to entertain you in croke park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭celt262

The referee had a great position to see all that and made the right call.

I will add that if it was the other way around and Rock went in like that on the Kerry keeper the Dubs would be saying he did nothing wrong and half the country would be looking for a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Ah for all their patheticness in finals , ya cant say they havent entertained over the years in quarters and semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Outside of the unusual case of Dublin they would be expected to have the majority of the crowd over the Leinster teams. They are also regarded as having poor attendance numbers relative to size.

14k saw them play Kilkenny at home which is not great for a big county. Of course Salthill is another excuse because it's "so hard to get to"

Galway is a well connected place so cost of living wise don't have it as hard as the more rural counties transport wise for a Dublin game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

The discussion was about skill levels. Which player of those dublin sides had a higher skill level than him?

• Advertisement

Connolly. The discussion was about better players. You piggy backed on it. Its beyond laughable people think Clifford is better than Connolly ,McCaffrey, Mannion etc. They won 6 on a row. Let that sink in. 6 all irelands in a row. Maybe Clifford is one for the future though as he is only 23.

Some of those are hard to enforce. For example, what if the corner back goes bombing up the field, can the corner forward not track him once he crosses the halfway line? What if the gk is taking frees? I agree on the tackle though, it is currently way too loose and it is suiting blanket defences and harsher on teams who are trying to play. If they enforced tackling rules properly and also the steps rule at the same time it would stop a lot of this stuff. Furthermore if teams had the cop on to work on the forward mark it would counter a lot of it also.

One thing i think needs looking at is the advantage rule. If a guy takes on a shot, im not sure the advantage should come back if it goes wide. They have played on and had a scoring opportunity.

A bigger issue i see is lack of meaningful punishment for cynical fouls when teams try to counter attack. They should be yellow cards every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭MfMan

Rather unfair. None of their final performances over the past decade have been cake-walks for the opposition and few counties have had such a run of bad luck in the deciders. Those finals have also been quite entertaining matches for the most part.

I didnt 'piggy bag', or piggy back for that matter, onto anything. I was very much part of the initial conversation. Not that that matters, I mean surely you are 'piggy bagging' here yourself? Does that mean you aren't entitled to engage in the discussion?

Clifford is a more skillful player than any of them. Connolly was very skillful but clifford is only a young lad and he is already showing a higher skill level than connolly did at his peak. As was already pointed out, darren daly has the same number of all irelands, and all due respect to him, but it displays that all ireland wins dont corrolate to individual skill.

Yeah no id agree , theyve made finals entertaining as well. Pathetic not to win one of them i feel. But mayo have brought a hell of a lot mote entertainment to football than Kerry in the last 10 years.

You are the one who brought in skill level. The original discussion was me saying con o callaghan was a better footballer than David Clifford. Are you really claiming that no dublin player of that 6 in a row are a better footballer than david clifford? In know what has he showed a skill level on par with Diarmuid Connolly ridiculous **** stirring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's not laughable in the slighest. Clifford may not have won a senior All-Ireland yet, but he was a phenom at minor (four goals in one final) and happens to be a victim of circumstance in that he came into a senior side not quite ready to win an AI (with Dublin in the process of claiming the six in a row). That doesn't negate the fact he is incredible.

The only other player that is comparable in GAA in terms of entering the men's game with a huge reputation from minor is Joe Canning- some lads here probably think Bubbles Dwyer is better than him because he won more AI medals.

Con is a great player to watch too, but he came into a team that was a winning machine. Roles reversed and he wouldn't be having the same trajectory Clifford has had so far.

Christ some Dublin fans are insufferable. The achievements of that team will never be surpassed and kudos, but the way you go on you'd swear it isn't possible for there to be any great player from any county outside the capital either before or since. It does a dis-service to some absolute legends. For example, Canavan* only won two All-Ireland's, both at the very end of his career. Paddy Andrews must be better than him sure.

* for those of you in a vacuum who only started following football in 2011, Peter Canavan was a wonderful footballer from Tyrone.

I always hear Connolly's name crop up in all-time lists too, but in terms of full package (especially temperment) I wouldn't have him near it. Among his Dublin team-mates alone, I'd rank Cluxton, McCarthy, McCaffrey, Fenton, Flynn, Kilkenny, Con and the two Brogan's as far more reliable.

You are a joke if you think Clifford is a better than player already than all of those dublin players mentioned and indeed Canavan. Anti dublin bullshit.

David Clifford is the most skillful footballer since Trevor Giles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I don't know why people are bothering arguing with you. You referred to Clifford as

"anonymous in big games Clifford"

There is a neighbours dog barking outside my window at the moment who has more of a clue about it that you have.

Advertisement