Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nah, it's a weapon to be used for advancement. It's the red-tops that need the fuel.

I do like the portrayal of Liz Truss as a naked (literally) opportunist though. And she may end up as PM ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 25,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya had to laugh at his name popping up a few times.

Maybe he gets around more or maybe he just has a loud mouth about it.

I'm sure some of the lads in CA will be using this as further proof the Tories are not racist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A racist is someone who says 'Some of my best friends are [race]' to defend their obvious distaste [or worse] for those who are members of [race].

Just because you know some people of [race] does not mean you are not racist. The Tories are basically an English party, but it does not make them adverse to anyone joining them, particularly if they are of a Tory mindset.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So far they are all very similar

Are there any that aren't channelling Maggie and going to reduce taxes and increase spending and get tougher on the EU ?

Hint : you aren't Maggie and you can't increase spending and reduce taxes without borrowing. Unless there's an economic miracle and getting touch on the EU won't do that.

• Advertisement

What worse is the women running start cosplaying Thatcher

• Registered Users Posts: 18,506 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A significant factor is the candidates all have to parrot hard right slogans and pro-Brexit and anti-immigration stuff (even if they don't believe in it). In any other country in Europe, it would probably be labelled a far right party these days....it has long since moved from the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭PommieBast

My lasting impression was the Labour Leave leaflet that had Dave and Gideon with the caption "wipe the smile off their faces". Trouble is by 2016 there was basically no-one left to defend the EU so Vote Leave could just take cheap shots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't disagree.

The difference between the Republicans and the Conservatives in the USA and the UK respectively is that the former, when confronted with decline will double down and increase the bias in an already rigged system. The latter will evolve and adapt to its new circumstances like any decent pathogen.

21st century British conservatism is about nothing more than power, influence and wealth. There's nothing else. The culture war nonsense they've been pushing is simply to win the next election. While the party was once a party of government, it's now brazenly the political wing of a cabal of donors and shadowy financiers who are often linked with disgusting regimes abroad such as Russia and Saudi Arabia.

The party is more than happy to recruit anyone from any background who sings from the correct hymn sheet. Bonus points if their ethnicity has political utility. They used to accuse Labour of playing identity politics when discussing the lack of BAME MP's and ministers. Expect them to fully trumpet the fact that they'll have produced the first BAME PM (and party leader) while Labour has yet to elect a female or BAME leader thus proving that they haven't a shred of insincerity.

In fairness, I don't think most Tories care one way or the other about racism. I'd say few of them are racist. They're just more than happy to exploit the BLM movement and similar other movements for short term political gain.

If only they'd invest that time in actually governing.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 32,656 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Better if it was the men doing that...with the matching outfits....it would really confuse some Tory voters.

In other news..

16k not bad for 36 hours work...

• Advertisement

In a real job the law makes sure that there is no severance pay for anyone who worked less than a few months.

Is this really true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Taxation looks certain to be the main issue of this contest, with Liz Truss saying she'll cut taxes on her first day in office!

Same nonsense with enormous payments to ex ministers in this country. Absolute disgrace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The immediate and correct response, at the bare minimum, would be Donelan donating that severance to an education charity or something other than a personal bank account. If she doesn't then with luck will be turfed out by the electorate first chance. A thundering disgrace and only proves to the disenchanted the system is a Gravy Train; which is fine for the powerful, a depressed vote suits the government.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Spotted this in the looser chaos CA thread relating to British politics, and was in two minds if this might count as a topic WRT Brexit. In any case: security tags now being added to cheese, butter and lamb chops, while their respective prices have rocket. This is the problem with the brexiteer fallacy, and happy to be proved wrong with relative local examples: everywhere has a Cost of Living Crisis but the B word is compounding the crisis beyond what the rest of the EU is struggling with.

In a week where Sri Lankans storm their government out of frustration and anger, the UK authorities should be grateful for a more polite populous.

This does not surprise; entirely possible Donelan doesn't even understand the relative value of that severance packet.

Comparing Sri Lanka, a third world country with the UK is a bit of a stretch.

The prices in the UK are still cheaper than here! We must also be a polite people.

Half the candidates are chancers and will probably begin to drop out in the coming days once they see they have no support.

What I compare was a mobilised population aggrieved with its political leaders. Not their relative economies; but then in general Developing Nations tend towards more social mobilisation than Developed Ones.

Happy to see those Cost of Living Metrics though, comparing here with there, if you have them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There are 358 Tory MPs, so a winner needs 179 or more.

The 1922 committee could speed the process by requiring a high number of MPs to propose the candidate. I understand they need eight, but raise that to 20 and the number of candidates would drop, assuming an MP can only propose one candidate, and a candidate cannot propose another. Then eliminate not just the lowest candidate in the first round but several.

Get the number down to two, and persuade the second candidate to drop out. Whole circus over before the end of next week.

• Advertisement

Britain is not a third world country with a history of revolutions. So I would not expect that to happen now.

As for prices, just a quick Google and it says in 2018 Ireland was 13% more expensive than UK. No latest figures but I can use my common sense to detect that Dublin is far more expensive in rent and food prices than the majority of the UK, perhaps with the exception of London.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,389 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Why would you want to skip the bit where 2 candidates go to the members vote?

It seems a very democratic part of the process, and is the party's rules after all.

I do think the members vote could be done quicker though, seems like something that could be blasted through in 2 weeks rather than 2 months. Entire general election campaigns take about 4 weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anyone touting "common sense" to push an outlandish point with nothing backing it up raises red flags for me. Since the vast majority of the UK is underdeveloped relative to the southeast then of course Dublin will be more expensive.

Feel free to post a source.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

You've just answered it. Outside of London isn't as developed and is cheaper than Ireland.

You surely don't need evidence for this. You're old enough I'm guessing.

So this is merely another of your silly baseless claims. Ok.

H. H. Asquith

So you think Ireland has cheaper prices than Britain?

I'm not really seeing where this relates to British politics. Feel free to highlight the connection. Otherwise, let's leave this tangent there.

H. H. Asquith

Can you at least try to supply some links instead of just telling me to Google it; not interested in your "common sense" nor trying to catch you out. You've used this forum enough to know that's how things work.

And you should also know full well that reductions like a straight comparison of rent or food prices doesn't tell the full story of a given area's relative affordability. A £9 pack of Lurpack is going to be a harsher punishment in Hull than London and the economics of the country North of the M40 are well understood that these are increasingly depressed areas; rural Ireland doesn't track in that respect.

A poster wrote up comparing the situation in Sri Lanka with the UK.

This was the basis of my comment. I pointed out that our prices are worse in many cases!

I note too as per usual, you didn't bother to remark upon his outlandish claims and bizarre comparisons but bully me about sources.

• Advertisement

You can't compare Irish and UK prices really. The economies are not as similar as people think.

The UK is far more low pay low cost than Ireland. Both probably balance out as roughly the same in the end.

Advertisement