Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Passed through the epicentre, of town this morning basically nothing but Africans congregating right there, in heat. 100-strong, at least thought I'd break the monotony by introducing a bit of diversity, maybe sample the atmosphere so became that token white guy on passing through ..

London accents; african accents a lot of horse play from boys referencing "getting arrested". Skimpily dressed girls, with bycicle shorts bet up them and beyond-mini skirts all going between each other excitedly. Skangers, and then some felt like one big mating game; with shifty looking adults in Canada goose stood around the perimeter surveying the scene.

I copped one filming, sayin “This is Dublin…. Dub-lin.” Also noticed a spire; of course a spire that totem of something or other. Is this what we really aspire to?! ..and these scenes are playing out up and down the country in our suburbs; and beyond but right there it just felt very reflective.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

The conspiracy theory about NGO's is not claiming that they exist - obviously, they do - or that they have some influence - they do - but suggesting that all or most migration is directly attributable to NGO's, which is arrant nonsense.

@Dorothylives.

As I said, I am among those who is sceptical about the benefits of mass immigration.

The reality is that in this country when anti-immigration political parties have put forward candidates for election - Aine ni Chonaill's Immigration Control Platform in the late 1990s, for example, and more recently, the National Party - they receive a derisory vote %. So it seems that the vast majority of the Irish electorate agree with the current strategy. Blaming it all on these hated NGO's you keep going on about is in my view a sidetrack. Do these NGO's control our electoral process? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I don't think most Irish people had any real idea of the scale of the numbers or the kinds of problems that these mainly African economic migrants posing as asylum seekers brought with them. The tens of thousands of Ukrainians arriving here over the course of a couple of months, receiving every benefit the Irish government can throw at them while Irish people have to go through means testing and jump through hoops has focused people's attention, especially since MASI have been complaining that it's racist for them not to be getting the same benefits as Ukrainians.

The powers that be have superbly played down/hidden/lied about the antisocial behaviour that's endemic in Dublin and other areas with significant numbers of ethnic minorities who were born here thanks to the Lagos express and the endless stream of mainly Africans, who despite claiming the Irish are all terribly racist, keep on coming here and having kids.

The NGO's were a government solution to it, just give them lots of cash and let them deal with the problem. Governments have ignored it, brushed it under the carpet and it's getting very hard to hide anymore. In part there probably has been indifference with a lot of Irish people. Thing is though, inflation is starting to bite, fuel and heating oil is going through the roof and Paddy's waking up to the fact that he's been had.

You seem to be adopting a conspiracy theory about NGO's etc.

You're really going to start a response with an attempt to discredit? Surely, you're confident of your own reasoning without such tactics?

There's no need to call it a conspiracy, as it's all rather transparent. The EU, (and subsequently those they have supported) has never hidden their agenda in pushing multiculturalism..

It is simply not realistic to ascribe mass migration to the influence of NGO's.

Then, it's a good thing that I didn't. Unless you're aiming to extract one single point within a sentence, and go with that as the primary focus..

Come on. Seriously? You started off so well with your previous post, suggesting a rationale for your position. However, the manner of your reaction to an opposing viewpoint is hardly encouraging.

I'm not going to do my usual thing of taking apart the post and dealing with each point individually... because you've completely disregarded what I stated in my own post. You're twisting, assigning points to me that I didn't make, and shifting goalposts. For example, where did I blame slow economic growth in Sweden on migrants?

Here's a hint. I didn't.

So. No point engaging with you, if you're not going to deal with what I have written. Been there, done that.. and there's absolutely no value in doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

You can really see it the last few weeks on various social media, people are getting sick of this multiculturalism

Jaysus, I drove through my county town late in the evening, the latest I would have in a long time. Holy Smokes, it was just Sub Saharan central. I didn't see one white person. What a change in 5 years.

This town has always been an economic blackspot so you can't say they're here for work. What the Hell are this government doing. It's a social experiment that is going horribly wrong.

It's not necessarily about race either, it's the fact that some countries of origin are so many generations behind us in terms of quality of education, beliefs and culture. They offer very little value to the country. Sorry, not sorry!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The singular problem with your position on the Irish electorate is the two "options" you reference are/were fringe nutters. If someone comes along and says the sky is blue, you think OK we're on pretty firm ground here. I can get behind that. But if they then go onto say the earth is flat, we never went to the moon and we're being ruled over by Jewish space lizards who drink blood, you think eh no. They're on the money regarding the sky, but the rest is dangerous daftness personified. That's the NP and the ICP. Even if people agreed in part with one aspect of their political agenda, no way are they going to agree with the rest of it and actually vote for them.

Secondly all the actual votable parties are on the same hymn sheet on this migration/multicultural stuff, as is our media. There are NO viable choices for the Irish electorate. It's 100% a Hobson's choice.

However when one Michael McDowell of the PD's as minister for justice came along in 2004 and questioned the large number of extra EU people coming here giving birth to get residency, with fevered howls of nays and "racism!!" from Labour, the Greens, Sinn Fein(FG agreed with it, but not really and didn't campaign on its behalf) and various NGOs and put it to the vote, same Irish electorate voted and sent a pretty clear message to close that loophole with one of the highest majorities of any Irish referendum in the history of the Irish state. 80% and not a single voting area rejected it, including the usually Right on leafy South Dublin. For comparison the SSM and Repeal votes passed with notably smaller majorities. Labour and others have said we should roll back on that vote. Something they wouldn't dream of doing with SSM, or Repeal, no matter how much time had passed. I'd not be surprised at all that Sinn Fein when they get the reins of power will also seek to roll it back.

In very recent times with the Ukrainian war and refugees from that, the Times lauded the results of their poll(the Journal also trumpeted it) that said 50% of the Irish people polled would give a room to Ukrainain refugees. But they left out the qualifier they also said: If they had the room. Minister McEntee one of these politicos gung ho for this nonsense said she'd offer shelter and then magically found she couldn't. Also didn't have the room apparently... Even though she lives in a house that dwarfs most people's. The same poll also showed that the other 50% wouldn't, even if they had the room. That part they left out of focus of course. Half of those polled said nope, I wouldn't give them a room. That's not exactly supportive is it? And let's face the elephant in the room, these are people that look just like us and mostly women and kids. Syrians who are a bit more tanned and of a more different culture fleeing in similar numbers and over a decade got 3000 refugees across the line into Ireland, and with far more oversight and hoops to jump through. If a similar mass of Africans were in play? Yeah, good luck with too much support there.

I'd love to see an honest poll put to the Irish people around this subject. One I'll be willing to bet we're not going to see anytime soon, because the results might shake up a few "Accepted Truths" we've been told around this subject. Not least that a majority blindly support it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

I was driving by my old neighbourhood the other day, were I spent the first 10 years of my life and took a spin in for old times sake.On the road on the way in there's a green on each side were we used to play football and act the maggot.What i seen both saddened and depressed me. Easy to see how people can come to the conclusion we're being replaced

And let's face the elephant in the room, these are people that look just like us and mostly women and kids. Syrians who are a bit more tanned and of a more different culture fleeing in similar numbers and over a decade got 3000 refugees across the line into Ireland, and with far more oversight and hoops to jump through. If a similar mass of Africans were in play? Yeah, good luck with too much support there

Taking into account, Irish people's contributions to Aid agencies in Africa, and other events (like Irish missionaries).. I suspect Irish people would be more welcoming to those from Africa, or those who are more tanned.

Honestly, I think we've been conditioned to be less welcoming to those who share our own skin colour. There's a certain white guilt being applied.

The only reason the "mass" involved with Ukraine happened, is because our government pushed it through before anyone had time to think about it. By the time questions began to be asked, the guilt trips began.. but I could easily see it happening for any skin colour, as long as they (politicians) could create some kind of sympatric link to transfer the guilt through. With Africans, it would likely be a throwback to the much loved "think of the starving children".

We've all be rather heavily conditioned over the last three decades. I genuinely don't think the skin colour would have mattered during the initial stages. Yes, later.. once the dust is settled, and the costs are realised, then people would react.. but that's why the govt pushed all this through so quickly, before they had reasonable ways to manage the "crisis". After all, a crisis is a grand way to distract attention away from what/how the political parties are doing domestically.

• Advertisement

Or, if you like bandit easy how people can see that we’re being replaced. Which is why I don’t trust those in denial at all

what I'd like to know is who decides where these refugees and asylum seekers go? Are there any in Dalkey, Greystones, Malahide, Glenageary? Or are they just flung into poorer places with less well heeled residents like Tullamore, Kinnegad, Portlaoise etc? Because if none are in Malahide where our Minister for Housing lives questions SHOULD be asked!! Towns and villages are being taken over, there are less Irish people about than refugees and asylum seekers, far more foreign accents and languages than English. Its frightening how quickly this is happening.

I don't agree that many people are more accepting of African/ darker skinned people than white skinned people. Since the murder of Aisling Murphy and the beheading of those 2 gentlemen in Sligo I am far more uncomfortable seeing groups of dark skinned men than I used to be. There are gangs of them around most towns now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I find all the major parties the same. I'll likely vote a party in favour of controlled immigration.

They are looney, but won't get in so free vote

Absolutely we’re being conditioned there’s a a societal disharmony being engineered, here nobody can be that aloof to it we are nobody’s fool. Unless we’ve maybe had a lobotomy or been seriously coaxed into not merely silence but approving of it, as we know has been happening in the educational system not least. Seems the faster it occurs, the more they approve and we’ve a generation so used to it all now they don’t know any different anyway so who knows what the future may hold.

They are hoping; that the generation that saw it go from practically zero to how many in practically no time at all on the scale of it will just die away and be done with it but we’re not going away, any time soon we can see that we are being impinged, on at an accelerated rate and as small remote peoples we are having it even less so.

It’s on everyone’s tongue, behind every closed door the word is out; and the wheels are in gear with a view to ultimately at least ousting those behind it all. From there it will be damage limitation, for the foreseeable future and beyond but at least we can say this thing is in progress.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Taking into account, Irish people's contributions to Aid agencies in Africa, and other events (like Irish missionaries).. I suspect Irish people would be more welcoming to those from Africa, or those who are more tanned.

Oh I wouldn't be nearly so sure about that K. There's a big difference between the penny "for the Black Babies" put into the Trocaire box of old and actually having and welcoming the same "Black Babies" into the neighbourhood. After all I seriously doubt the closing of the jus soli loophole was about closing that loophole to White non EU people. Put it another way; when we were "going on the missions" and doing widespread and locally popular charitable and modernisation works in the "Third World" we were also decidely coy about any actually coming here. QV the Hungarian refugees, all 500 of them, who were barely given transit in the mid 1950's and the Vietnamese "Boat People" in the mid 1970's where we had to be cajoled, even shamed into accepting a couple of hundred of same. Like I noted earlier, the vast majority of inward migration into Ireland over the past 25 years has been of the White European kind and which group are generally much mofr focused upon by both the Right On and the Right Wing?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I don't buy the replacement idea. Populations are increasing, that's all. There is the movement of natives away from the rural/town areas towards the cities, or beyond, but honestly.. i don't see Irish people being replaced. The foreign groups certainly aren't taking over Irish businesses or general employment, except for the high skilled/educated that come in under contracts.

In Athlone, it's easy enough to see the demographic shifts during the day. There's plenty of Africans, and Eastern Europeans around.. but that's because the general population of the town are working during the day, and even before covid, people weren't that interested in spending time/money in the town itself.

Ahh Wibbs... you know well how much Ireland has changed socially (I was going to say, "and politically", but.. yeah) between the 50s and the 70s, and now with the 20s. Different society, different traditions and expectations, and also a difference in how we perceive ourselves existing internationally. The responses of Irish people in the past to particular situations doesn't translate very well. Just as the fact of the matter was that most Irish couldn't imagine anyone wanting to come to Ireland before the Celtic Tiger, and even afterwards, the Irish stumbled around in a daze, as if they couldn't accept that Ireland had become a desirable location for immigration. There's still an element of that here.

While I was in China, my parents kept me up-to-date about the changes in my hometown. They were excited, initially, over the range of foreigner settling here, full of shock/horror over cultural oops, but generally very supportive of the whole thing. They still are. I've never been terribly interested in people my own age.. boring fuckers.. but over the last two years, I've gotten to know a few in the area, and I see the same urge to help foreigners, the more black the better. Far less interest in helping Eastern Europeans.

The Eastern Europeans were never really seen as refugees or in the same vein as those coming from 3rd world nations. They came through the EU, or other avenues, but they meshed really well with Irish society so, apart from some paranoia over the Poles, they were welcomed quickly. Ukraine changed that slightly for a while, but if anything, I see a greater pushback over it all, which will affect all "White" groups.

I suspect that modern Ireland is quickly reaching "the enough" stage... but... people like my parents (70s) are still very prone to believing in the good of others.. especially when it comes to Africans.

Here is some info on direct provision centres and locations.

https://asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/reception-conditions/housing/types-accommodation/

http://doras.org/direct-provision/

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7aad0-minister-ogorman-publishes-the-white-paper-on-ending-direct-provision/

Also worthy of reference is the white paper on ending direct provision. Apart from getting own door accommodation while the incumbent population share houses etc there is this...

So whether or not you are an illegal it will not matter. Hence the amnesty.

So we have de facto open borders. No control on the social, environmental, economic impacts of this multicultural experiment.

Allegations of sexual assault in Kinnegad aside the place saw an approx increase in its population by 5% overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

No problem as long as everyone obeys the law of the land. Also if physically and mentally well, willing to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Look at the amount of money we spend and have spent on overseas aid , multiples of billions

then we do the same for new arrivals.

so it’s going out of our kitty north, south, east, west and here…

• Advertisement

Its all conditioning. Im sure it wont be long before RTE will be broadcasting another black history month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

Got a good laugh out of the "I was driving through my neighbourhood and saw some black people" posts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

3 bedroom semi-detached in Balbriggan 415,000 Castleland park..

nutsville… it’s only starting

thats very interesting information and thanks. Interesting to note that Dublin has far lower capacity and occupancy than say Monaghan, Waterford, Kerry, Cork, Meath, Galway, among others. I understand its the capital but there is no capacity at all around Malahide, Foxrock, Dalkey, Dunlaoghaire, Blackrock, Glenageary where I might add a lot of our politicians and media live!! This includes where Housing Minister Darragh O Brien himself lives. I am all for equality and we are all being told we must welcome everyone and share our country......but only if you're an ordinary person, NOT a politician. Are they are above the rest of us? Helen "we won't be found wanting" McEntee also comes to mind and her U-turn on taking a refugee. She's the person rubber stamping this non stop influx.

I am so angry as I live in East Meath and we are absolutely crammed with asylum seekers and refugees, its the dumping ground yet only a few short stops up the railway line to leafy Malahide! We have Mosney, Gormanston Army camp and numerous hotels full of people, planning permission is being sought for 569 "temporary 5 year units" to house Ukrainian refugees too. The face of this area has changed beyond belief. It saddens and worries me hugely.

This might explain why it's mostly outside of Dublin

Have a listen

It's also because dublin is jammed to the nines. What kinnegad is experiencing is overflow they want to be here, and I'm doing my damndset to haul them back myself and save our rural villages but we should work together and prevent all this completely.

It's a fractured society the governance preys on, if we want tidy towns we all play our part. Work together; only way to clean up this havoc they're revelling in.

There is a large Pakistani and Indian community around Sandyford/Leopardstown/Foxrock, all well-to-do areas. They are not asylum seekers though, they are mainly working in Tech. Bear in mind Microsoft EMEA is in the area, along with other IT firms. Which is a whole other debate. I don't agree with importing large numbers of foreign workers when we are constantly telling our youth to study STEM at school and uni.

Lol indeed, but there are no racists on this thread, no sirree bob. The bloke who claimed he was the only white person on Dublin's O'Connell Street is just a liar. The area unfortunately attracts a dodgy element but most are Irish. Moore Street granted is mainly blacks and Asians, but most are law abiding.

• Advertisement

Who said that I was referring to the very large circle that had taken up residence around our very epicentre.

Or epidermic centre, if you like but the spirynge seemed to have taken great symbolism for this crowd In particular. I did see some white folk beyond that; never safe to assume they are Irish but If you ask me we are going to have to show more tact in some very basic departments if we are to alleviate this strain.

Advertisement