Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I don't get this gripe. Why do you want a set course this early? For me in hindsight I'd have preferred is Thanos wasn't called out so early. It took away somewhat from the Ultron and Civil War storylines that could have been fleshed out more rather than having Thanos hanging around in the background.

There are plenty of pieces that are starting to get some overlapping and routes they could end up going. Before the Avengers movie no one had direction towards the Infinity Gauntlet during Phase 1 (despite the far fewer characters at that stage) and that is the point where we are right now in Phase 4.

The goal should be to slow build things rather than race towards the next big crossover. The main reason IW and Endgame was such a good payoff was that they took the time to build it.

For me it is likely going the route of the below but it will have some stops along the way:

secret wars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FWIW, Taron Edgerton was speaking to Simon Mayo Friday and was asked about being the new Wolverine. He denied it, said he hasn't spoken to Marvel about the role (though had spoken to them a couple of times a few times in the past).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Cloverfield Paradox??

Yeah, I'd keep that one to myself lol.

Never heard of him otherwise so looked at the CV. Big fat nothing; obviously Marvel backing off slightly from their dalliance with auteurs and back to anonymous indie types.

First thing that came to mind for me was disney just getting a black director for a black captain america.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I have no issue with that but it feels more like picking a director they can influence.

It reads 100% like that. Jeymes Samuel (The Harder They Fall) would have been a more interesting choice had a black director been a requirement - but the MCU formula demands anonymity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This feels like Feiges style. Taking a more unkown Director on board and giving them a shot.

The Hollywood Reporter headline "best known" felt a bit of a distraction when I went looking at the IMDB and RT of Julius Onah and noticed that it he has very little feature film work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,800 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think it's less about influence, and more about picking someone with more experience in the underlying subject matter of the film, rather than a blockbuster guy. They have their action teams who will cover that set piece stuff - they're looking for people to properly handle the stuff between the set pieces (like bringing in Jon Watts after his experience working with kids on Cop Car).

Onah wrote and directed 'Luce' which is a really good nuanced look at race in America (really good movie, well worth a watch!), which is clearly the direction they're taking Captain America from what we saw in the tv show. Would be pretty confident that's why he was picked for this one.

I have no doubt that's why they're selecting a black director and I think they have to tell this story but I have to hope you're right about this particular black director. I'll have to check out Luce as I haven't seen anything by this guy. I hope it works out better than Watts though, those films are fine but I struggle to see anything close to a director's thumbprint on them.

• Advertisement

Definitely a big step up for him alright - hopefully he can handle it. To be honest, from what it looks like this movie is going to be trying to achieve, i'd say the script behind it is even more important than who's directing. Hopefully they've got something solid to work from!

Looks like it's the same fella who was the main guy behind the TV show, so it'll likely have a similar feel to that, and carry on the same conversation on a bigger scale.

I could be wrong but I think it's the same writer who wrote TF&TWS which doesn't fill me with confidence 😬

Yeah, i went and googled after i posted that - aww, i quite liked parts of that show! It went a bit all over the place at times, but I liked how that central conflict around the shield and what being captain america actually meant was handled. Main thing for the movie will just be keeping focused on whatever story its telling, and tell it well. Marvel can go a bit too wild in scope sometimes!

The creative input of Marvel directors - or lack thereof - is pretty well documented at this stage and don't expect Onah to have a stronger voice than the FX department and 2nd Unit ... but do we have an idea of how flexible the scripts can be?

Cos if they're fairly locked in when the director does their bit, I'd question how much input Onah would have about the black voices in the film; Or how they'd even be worked in beyond some generic Racism is Bad segues in the script. I haven't seen the Falcon show but what parts I saw, the dialogue and politics were secondary school level.

I wasn't even joking when suggesting Jeymes Samuel, cos he not only brought a distinct black voice to the film, he did it while still being a visually distinct and exciting film. There were absolute arresting action sequens. He could do wonders with a big budget if he was given the runway.

Watching black bird and despite being a very good actor having a great physique taron is to slim and pretty to play logan logan is a ruggedly handsome bulky man made of muscle not a millennial metrosexual gym bunny

He is also very small at 5ft8 compared to Jackman who is 6ft3 I know in the comics Logan is a short ass however after Jackman played him I think it needs to be someone of a similar size.

He would be a better fit for Cyclops or Gambit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Can't really think of anyone I'd see as perfect for the role, so I hope they go for another unknown and surprise us like they did with Hugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It looks like they've given certain directors a lot greater influence recently and it has been what groups of fans have complained about the most - Eternals and recent Thor being two examples

It's not so much the "unknown" label that irks, but how Marvel keeping going for ones with almost zero experience in Action Cinema, it always disappoints. The MCU might be more hands off than most blockbuster gigs but when they do hire directors with some semblance of action flourish the results work well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I was talking about the next Wolverine, not their next director. 🙂

Whoops. As you were. Perhaps some hot quantities in streaming shows might be a good stealing horse for an unknown actor.

The lad who plays Jack Reacher on Amazon could do a good job as Logan.

I'd have to disagree with you there, he's very wooden which makes him perfect for Reacher but I think he'd be a poor Wolverine. Maybe a good shout for Cyclops though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Think it was already mentioned but Wes Chatham from the Expanse series. Knows how to do angry and has the build albeit in between comic Logan and Jackman Logan for height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,197 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well, I know of an actor who already has some proven chemistry alongside Patrick Stewart and even has the cigar smoking experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Good call; though if he signed up that probably would put the final nail in the coffin of a Season 7 😀

I thought The Expanse was cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,065 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Alden Ehrenreich has been cast in IronHeart

Advertisement