Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we integrate Unionism into a possible United Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

How is it curious the way I used the word Protestant? You linked articles about the Protestant experience in Post independence Ireland and I responded to said articles. Now you are acting as if something offensive was said. Bizarre behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was at rammstein last night in France , they cancelled their Belfast gig during lockdown and never rescheduled. But if they did reschedule would they raise the Union Jack at the start as they raise the national flag at all gigs , or is there an alternative? That “occupied” my mind for a few seconds last night

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Oh don't talk about Flags around a Unionist, touchy subject

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Of course not Francie, there would never have been Unionist supremacy after Home Rule. But an agreement and changing roles allowing all communities to share the island and live together. But to bring this back again to the title of this thread, the people of this island need to move backwards to go forwards. Ways need to be found to integrate 'unionism' into an all Ireland structure, even at the loss of some sacred cows of Irish nationalism. So that we can all move forward again together. This needs adjustment and some sacrifice of principles, for the better long term good.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,776 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There is zero stopping them getting involved Furze...zero. One man/woman, one vote. Scares the bejaysus out of some in Unionism but it is the only system there is.

As those essays I linked to show, many of Unionist persuasion withdrew from the new Irish state themselves, if they do that come a discussion around a UI then they have to be prepared to be left behind. And I don't think moderate Unionism either wants that or will withdraw. Which is good.

You cannot legislate for belligerents who will never be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well given that you & others of similar thinking can't make any suggestions for how to make accommodation for unionists in a possible United Ireland, the thread is pointless. You're not interested in integrating unionism, you're basic thinking is to let them take it or leave it. Nothing more to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What do you want done so?

Unionism doesn't engage. Not our fault.

Unionists are already integrated and catered for here. They have exactly the same rights as anyone else. If they arern't tell us what rights are not avaiilable to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Absolutely 100%, but the diehard exclusionary nationalist viewpoint can't see that.

They try to impose Irishness on everyone on this island in contravention of the GFA in which the people of this island for the first time overwhelmingly agreed to recognise the Britishness presence.

Nobody I know is trying to 'impose' Irishness. I fully accept that there is a British history and heritage here and that it is part of what Ireland is. I also have zero problems with the British identity or any other identity living on this island.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's a fantasy of the exclusionary southern unionist.

nobody is imposing irishness on anyone but the reality is that unionists are fully catered to here in the south.

but this idea that partition will continue in the form of federalism or that we will remove aspects of our culture while allowing unionists to keep all theirs is just not happening.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But how could anyone 'force' unionist people in NI to become Irish in the event of a united Ireland? They would obviously retain their British citizenship, keep on flying the Union Jack, carry on marching on the Twelfth etc....nobody would interfere with any of that.

This exclusionary nationalist fantasy that just because they believe that unionists are fully catered for in the South, that a united Ireland will not be a problem is just extremely delusionary, lacking in understanding and empathy.

The GFA recognises the British identity on this island, any successor to the GFA has to do the same, that means changed to what exclusionary nationalists believe is a united Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

this exclusionary southern unionist/partitionist fantasy that just because they believe that unionists should be fully catered for in the South at the expence of everyone else, that a united Ireland will in any way be a problem is just extremely delusionary, lacking in understanding and empathy and reality.

the GFA in the event of a UI becomes irrelevant as ireland and it's entities already recognised the British identity on this island, meaning no changes are required because british people have lived here and live here without issue.

there are no exclusionary nationalists in ireland, and the sectarian abomination of partition will be destroyed and will not be implemented any further or in any way when a UI is achiveed.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

So what rights are the government here denying to anyone who identifies as British or who is a Unionist?

Nobody in the South has an express right to identify as British or Irish. That has only been given to the people of the North in the GFA.

If that right has no meaning, then the current right to identify as Irish in the North has no meaning either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Oh here we go again. Back to referencing the GFA as meaning national identify needs to be written into law. Apart from being entitled to an irish passport can you reference where the irish constitution says i need to act a certain irish way?

Again blanch all the LEGAL meaning of the GFA is that the irish state and UK must give people born in NI citzenship. By the GFA the only country that can take away the British identity is the UK by not giving citzenship in a UI. But you never listen to this. In a few pages you will be coming out again referencing the GFA as something it doesn't mean. You also try and make it out there is only two identities in Ireland. Wake up there is hundreds of identities in Ireland.

We live in a EU country that allows freedom of expression. Any of the hundreds of foreign identities in Ireland can express this as long as it is not breaking in the law and will continue of this right if freedom of expression in a UI.

What has become apparent here is that you don't understand the legal meaning of the GFA.

Anybody can identify as what they like. It is called freedom of expression. Me being from the south can identify as British if i wanted to. Nobody could successfully sue me for such an expression. But i cant demand the UK give me citizenship even tho I identify as British as I dont meet the criteria for uk citzenship.

However the international peace treaty that was the GFA means anyone from NI not only has the right of freedom of expression but they also have an express right to have UK or irish citizenship. Thats all the gfa means regarding identity.

• Advertisement

Yes, and that express right will have to form part of any new arrangement on this island, meaning the new State will be part-British.

Unless you want to take away people's rights?

Where does the GFA say this? Must have missed that.

I doubt the British will agree with it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

We're going to get a good look at the most problematic elements of Unionism tonight and tomorrow etc.

I'm all for a United Ireland. But will we have much bother with paramilitary activity from certain parts of Unionism? Very hard to say.

Personally I would like Irish politicians to explicitly state that they want the unionist community in Ireland, that they would be valued and welcomed. I think that would go a long way with the moderates. The hardliners will never be persuaded, no point in trying

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Kaiden Happy Mouthpiece for goodness sake Ireland is their country too. You're positing your statement as if people of unionist/Protestant heritage are refugees or aliens.

In a UI there will be a pro-UK polity in Ireland and it will be social-democratic and positive because that's the only way it could be. A UI will be the death-knell for blood-and-thunder Paisley-style unionism as a political force and that should be welcomed by all of us.

You're from a unionist background and live in the south I believe? Do you feel like a foreigner here?

Post edited by Junkyard Tom on

The express right is for people born in the jurisdiction of NI to hold irish or/and UK citzenship for the rest of thier lives. Only the UK can take away the right to hold UK citzenship. I don’t want them to renage on their commitments of the GFA.

Btw it is unclear what happens to people born in what was NI after a UI. There is no obligation for the UK to offer citizenship to people born in a UI by the GFA. We also dont know if Scotland or England will give citzenship to people born in NI should they go independent.

I dont understand what you mean by a UI being part British. Will people with a UK citzenship live in Ireland.... of course but so will people with polish and Brazilian citzenship so will a UI be partly polish and brazilian too Blanch?

blanch believes the GFA is only open to his interpretation. He won't be backing up where it says a UI needs to be 'part British', he won't be showing any political appetite for that scenario either just like there is no public or political appetite for his 'federal' kick to touch stuff or his Lie Down Croppy Boy super majority.

No, Unionist background, still living in NI, now fully behind a unified Ireland. I certainly never feel like an alien any time I'm on holiday in Ireland fwiw. I know these people, I know most of them are not hardline but if they're cornered then that's what they become. And if they are forced into a UI then they will feel cornered. They are taught that the South hates them, they want to be sold into popery, they are not taught what Unionist politicians did in the 60s to Catholics or how far Ireland has come in the last few decades, there is a real sense of them-and-us. I don't think someone like Leo and/or Higgins affirming that really they would like to see unionists in an unified Ireland is molly coddling or unnecessary, I think it would be the logical first step in joining together. I think the South could be the "bigger man" here.

• Advertisement

"parity of esteem and of just and equal treatment for the identity, ethos, and aspirations of both communities;"

British identity gets parity of esteem.

Advertisement