Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I doubt it. Makes them look like sharks trying that trick.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Makes them look like a business, I'm sure they know how to maximise their profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

they haven't changed the discount % in the midst of sale in a long time..i remember years ago when they'd have an extra discount % added on top after a few days into a sale.

however in recent years, what they offer first off the bat they stick with...so it went from 30% to 20$ and now down to 10%...doesn't make it half as enticing to purchase the warehouse items in these sales in my view. i've a few things i'm watching but this wouldn't entice me to bite the bullet at all

I've had some great bargains from Amazon Warehouse but I find it hard to recommend it to people. Amazon is brilliant at handling any issues which I just think of as a way of getting an even better bargain (extra discount) but a lot of people just don't bother and in my experience there is a high chance of more being wrong than indicated in the listing.

Basically you are trusting the person who returned the item to be honest, not to have abused the item and to have packed everything back in the box. The reason I say this is because they check nothing at Amazon Warehouse. They can't even get the condition correct. I've had items listed as "Acceptable" which is the lowest category that were 100% perfect in original box and "Used like new" that were scratched, missing parts and damaged to an extent they couldn't be used.

Definitely noticed the lack of discount in recent "sales", 30% on everything used to be the order of the day then it went to "selected items" then 20% on selected items now its down to 10% on selected items. Given the discounts on what they consider Used like new are very small to start with and with the discount price linked to the original sale price its far from impossible to find the item cheaper when new. I returned one dewalt tool bought in a warehouse sale that was missing parts and badly damaged (Used like new) and bought it brand new a month later for less than the warehouse sale price. Its definitely worth a quick check on camelcamelcamel.com to see if a new item has regular price drops below the warehouse sale price.

Still I'd never want to put a dedicated bargain hunter off but I don't think Amazon Warehouse is for amateurs.

• Advertisement

Funny, I have the complete opposite experience. It's rare enough that I get unforeseen or unnoted problems with items from the warehouse, although i've bought so much from there over the years you kind of get a sixth sense of the problems to expect with the items you buy and which ones to avoid.

And in that case the returns process is quite easy..although i noticed since this year they're not as quick to refund when you send the item back and the last couple of times i've had to get onto chat to get the refund several weeks after it was returned.

I agree though that the discounted prices in warehouse these days are not nearly as competitive as before, although there are still good bargains to be had if you hunt for them but overall when the difference is just a few quid, you're gonna opt for the new price everytime.

Agreed.

For me, most of my "like new" items have been unopened and most of my "good/acceptable" items have been "like new".

You can also always return an item if it's not in the condition described on the page.

Amazon Warehouse is definitely very welcoming to "amateurs", especially compared to things like eBay where you can buy second hand goods directly from random people with no quality checks in between. Not quite sure I follow the logic of that poster.

You can also always return an item if it's not in the condition described on the page.

My point is not what you can do but what people bother to do. Its probably just laziness but I know plenty of people that just wouldn't bother and as a result just write off Amazon Warehouse.

I think you're just speaking for yourself. I don't think most people would do that, especially in the current financial climate.

And the point you think you are making would make eBay a worse idea for "amateurs", not Amazon Warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭john boye

At £54.99 (lowest price ever as far as i can see), the firetv cube might be worth purchasing and getting delivered via addresspal, delivered to the north or via a relation / friend in the UK...

What advantages does the cube have over the 4K stick or the 4K max stick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Looks like my Prime Student rate is coming to an end. Was handy to have for the number of years I managed it. They are looking for official status now from a UK university

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Not sure how much longer I have left. Renewed recently anyway for another year at student price.

Does the online course trick not work anymore? I can't remember the exact steps but think I said it was a 4 year course when I signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭con747

When they asked the OH for proof of continued study we just got a letter sent out to us via email after enquiring about a weekend course and once her name was on it Amazon accepted it and gave us another year, not sure if it will still be as easy but they seemed lax enough about it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭gussieg

so disappointerd in the warehouse sale, hoping they dramatically reduce stuff after the 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

anyone able to order firetv sticks using alexa voice? Know u need uk address

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Are the warehouse discounts already activated, or just we know the rate it will be? (Even if only 10%)

If already active, nothing I have in my "save later" or wishlist have any discounts and not seen anything I've looked at with a discount.

Its 10% on selected items. Like you none of my saved items are in the selected category. Maybe they will up the discount on Prime day? I seriously have my doubts but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

yeah i've just noticed that the current "discount" in the warehouse expires at midnight on the 11th, so looks like they'll have a new one effective from the 12th. another new modus operandi from amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭Treppen

Did you try signing up for the Open University free courses. Haven't tried it myself but I think others have done it for other discounts.

• Advertisement

There was a special offer on 'not brand new' coffee espresso makers a while back on here with huge discount.

I presume results were varied, but as a coffee machine would people rate it well.

What was the make, I might keep an eye out again during prime day? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Knockieranlady

I did, ordered yesterday morning, had it sent to my sons address in London arrived last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I think this is the machine you're on about? I got one for about €45 a few weeks back, there were a few scratches on it, but other than that looked brand-new. I don't think it had been used.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C2352TW/

No, but I did open a business account after they kept on about it in emails and again I just printed a fake business letterhead and sent that and they opened one up. I don't notice any big savings in the business account but I never really looked into it. They seem to accept anything that looks half right as proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,026 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hope you get on ok with the revenue when they follow up on the VAT invoicing .

... Or the college when they send you your course reading list 🤣

As I stated I never looked into it, I just opened the account to see how easy it was to do. I was merely stating that Amazon staff don't seem too bothered when it comes to proof like that and the student discount. So, I think I will be safe enough from Revenue. Thanks for your concern though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Amazon fire lite sticks 12.99 but they won't ship them here ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 46,026 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yep they have dropped the prices big time on the entire range. Personally I'm ok as I can get deliveries to NI but it's a pity for most people that they won't ship to here. The international versions that they do ship are £20 dearer so that's a bit unfair.

keep an eye out for the m in Currys/PC World.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Amazon Auto is reduced to £20 but is there any point getting it?

Advertisement