Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D15 Aerial shot

Options
  • 18-05-2012 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

I have a large aerial shot of D15 from June 1973. I got it from the OSI.

They stated they had nothing older and this maybe true however in in the library in Fingal, there is am aerial shot from the early 60s and I believe it was taken by the Air-corp.

The Air-corp do not sell imagery anymore.

My question is if anyone is out there reading this that could help me find who would be able to supply this aerial photography from the 60s of D15.

I'd like to compare the 60's to 73 as 73 already had the streets and road's cut out by diggers for the new Corduff estate that would finish in 79.

Perhaps some readers could tell me please if the 60s aerial shot of D15 is still hanging in Fingal blanch library?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Id love to see that picture you have Chuck,would it be hard work putting it up online for us?

If its too much no bother,id say there is a bit of work in it alright..

Ta

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Kev. wrote: »
    Id love to see that picture you have Chuck,would it be hard work putting it up online for us?

If its too much no bother,id say there is a bit of work in it alright..

Ta

I'd also love to see this image. Could you scan it and put it up on this thread when you get the chance?

You are probably best contacting the OSI (Ordnance Survey Ireland) or the GSI (Geological Survey Ireland) for the aerial imagery you are looking for. Be prepared to expect a very hefty charge for the imagery and a considerable wait.

You could also try the Map Library in Trinity College. They have quite an extensive collection of maps and may also have some aerial shots dating from the period you are looking for.

By June 1973 Blanchardstown was already quite built up - the Roselawn/Delwood/Glenville/Coolmine housing areas were nearing completion and as the OP stated, work was just beginning on Corduff. Castleknock was less developed with Deerpark and the first phase of the Georgian Village completed as was College Park, Oaklawn, Beechpark Avenue, Hawthorn Lawn and work beginning on Castleknock Lodge and also Castkeknock Green immediately to the west of Deerpark.

I grew up in Castleknock and was born in early 1975 so I would love to see the '73 shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Good morning all.

The image is quite large. About the size of a bread board.

I have a flatbed scanner but it wont do it. I'll talk to a lad I know who works in an industrial printers and see if he has a large industrial scanner and if so, i'll email copies to whomever wants them.

I'll contact Trinity to see if they have older aerial shots. i know they exist, but the OSI claimed not to have older than the 1973 aerial shot.

It cost me about €150 for the image two years ago but it was worth. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dantonio

I'd love to see any aerial photos you can locate too.

You've probably seen these but just in case, there are 2 at this link:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055726881

I remember in the late 80s, early 90s that Fingal Library in Roselawn SC had several aerial photographs of Blanchardstown hung in the stair way up to the library.

Also, in the Blanchardstown centre, along the toilet corridor upstairs near to Dunnes, there are several aerial photographs of before, during and after the construction of the centre. Not as old as you want but may be of interest.

Dantonio wrote: »
    I'd love to see any aerial photos you can locate too.

You've probably seen these but just in case, there are 2 at this link:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055726881

I remember in the late 80s, early 90s that Fingal Library in Roselawn SC had several aerial photographs of Blanchardstown hung in the stair way up to the library.

Also, in the Blanchardstown centre, along the toilet corridor upstairs near to Dunnes, there are several aerial photographs of before, during and after the construction of the centre. Not as old as you want but may be of interest.

Yep indeed, there is no doubt aerial shots exist from the 60's, it's a matter of locating them :)

• Advertisement

Dantonio wrote: »

OK, I've just written to them there ;)

let's see what they have. ;)

I've just found the following

"Dublin City Public Libraries holds historical aerial photos from the 1950s and 1960s."

If you want to view them does that mean a visit to the "reading room" in Pearse Street, or can copies be purchased online? If you know?

http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/libraries/Heritage%20and%20History/reading%20room/Pages/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

chuck if you cant get a scanner big enough Just take a pic on a camera hold it over the pic and take it that way.... Wouldnbt be perfect but peeps would get the idea...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The OSI online maps has three sets of historic maps, satellite images from 1995, 2000, and 2005, and well as a near current map.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,706789,738802,4,3

Chucknorris kindly lent me this aerial image. As it's A2 size it is too big to scan easily. It's very interesting.

However, I have managed to take an image of the pic from my iPhone and post it up here. The quality is nowhere near as good as a scan but you can get the general idea.:)

Take a look below. This is How Blanchardtown looked on 18 June 1973. Most of the area between Coolmine and Blanch village has been developed with housing estates. Where Superquinn is now is an empty field. Work on the distributor roads for Corduff to the north have begun. Coolmine Community School on the LHS of the image has just been built. Delwood is just out of the coverage of the image.

I would love to see an aerial image of Castleknock of similar vintage.

71392149_osi_blanch_aerial_image_june_1973_02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7 casameta

morning, 10 years later, but do you still have this or similar aerial images?

Hello there casameta. I gave beck the original A2 hard copy image to the poster chucknorris after taking shots of it with my iPad scanner app - but I do have soft copies of the original image somewhere in my files, if I can dig it out...

And here is the image, as promised. 👍️ Blanchardstown in June 1973, nearly 50 years ago now.

It's a photo scan (admittedly not very good!) of the original glossy A2 image.

You can see that most of the area between Blanch village and Coolmine has been recently developed with estates such as Glenville, Coolmine and Roselawn just built.

The access/distributor roads for Corduff including the Snugboro Road to the North of the village are being excavated out and the first houses in Corduff would be built in 1974. Where the Supervalu shopping centre is now was just a field back in June 1973.

Coolmine Community school has just been built is on the LHS of the photo.

I have another, slightly earlier but much clearer aerial photo of Blanch from 1971, showing Roselawn under construction - will post it up when I get the chance.

Blanchardstown in September 1971.

Roselawn is about 30% built, Glenville and Coolmine estates are more complete but there is still a good bit of undeveloped land between the village and Coolmine that would be developed within 5 years.

No sign of any work in Corduff - just the old Corduff Lane and the cottages.

JCMH is close to the centre of the photo. You can also see the part of Castleknock in the bottom right.

Castleknock in October 1971.

Really interesting aerial photo which clearly shows how undeveloped and rural the village and its environs were at the time.

Deerpark, Park View and the Georgian Village are all under construction to the RHS of the image. I grew up in Deerpark and this image shows our house under construction. We moved there from Belfast in Feb 1976.

Deerpark was completed at the end of 1972 as was Park View but the Georgian Village was not finished until about 1978. What you see here was the first phase, built by a British developer who later went bust.

You can see the village and modest housing development on Beechpark Avenue, Hawthorn Lawn, Oaklawn still under construction and College Park recently built.

Work would start on Castleknock Lodge and Castleknock Green in 1973/74, Stockton in 1976/77 and by 1981 most of the area around the village would be developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

There's a cluster of houses on Peck's Lane, some on the main road and the others on 2 side roads called Park Villas. These were built after WW1 by the Soldiers and Sailors Trust.

Yes indeed, Park Villas.

I had known since I was a child growing up in Deerpark that they were much older that the 1970s/80s vintage housing estates in the area - the roads are very narrow and the houses are in a distinctive early 20th C style - and I had supposed that they were an early social housing scheme of some sort but never knew who built them. Thanks for that info. 👍️

Some of the original houses in Park Villas have been knocked and replaced over the past 30 years and nearly all have had their large gardens subdivided and built on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

There's a longer discussion on the History forum on the "homes for heroes" thread. Same types of houses, but in various other locations in Dublin and around Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

My Dad was born & raised in Park Villas. His parents were originally from the sandpits in the strawberry beds. My granddad fought in ww1 for the British army and he was given the house in park villas around 1920 I think. Ironically, my maternal grandad also fought in ww1 and he was given a house in east wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 casameta

Advertisement