Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JP McManus Pro-Am

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

People are very ill-informed in these matters. He wants to live in Ireland and all his children have been educated and live in Ireland, he just doesn't want to contribute to the tax take that funds all the services he and his family wish to use in the country.

It is actually part of someone's job in revenue to monitor his private jet as he can only spend x number of days in Ireland and remain tax compliant. He has actually complained about this before in print, as he wants to spend more time in Ireland as that is where his family home is.

Dermot Desmond and numerous other non-tax resident Irish nationals want their family to be educated and live in Ireland, but not directly contribute to the tax take themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭techdiver

I thought it was a fantastic event and ran unbelievably well from all points of view to transport, crowds etc. The one criticism I had which has already been raised here is the food and beverage offerings were not fit for purpose for the size of the crowd. The Championship Village along the 9th fairway didn't have enough capacity for the crowds and the scattering of other food trucks around the grounds weren't enough either as they were for the most part mobbed with queues also.

I think there should have been a second village at the practice area to load balance the demand. The best place to go was to the Woodlands Hotel just off the course where there were no queues.

As regards the course it is amazing. I was lucky enough to play it in May as I made it through to the grand qualifier, but unfortunately didn't make it all the way to the pro-am (although I would have **** myself on the 1st tee🤣). Some have criticised that it wasn't a good course to watch form. I didn't fine that to be honest. Now I am over 6 foot which probably helped. I stationed myself at the 1st tee the first day and got close to all the tee shots. It was surreal watching all those players come through one after another. One the second day I found some excellent places to watch from. I do accept that many of the greens being elevated means a restricted view from some angles but I still saw plenty of action. I do believe they will need a grandstands for the RC though (I've no doubt they will as there is plenty of room). It's especially true of the 18th which was one of the worst to view from as there was now viewing spots behind.

It's also funny how some impressions I had of some players coming in was so wrong. I didn't really like Scheffler that much prior to the pro-am, as I found him boring and robotic. Seeing him in person, nothing could be further from the truth. He was excellent. Interacted with the crowd, always had a smile on his face. A very amusing scene on the 9th fairways playing with Michael O'Leary where the first 2 amateurs hooked their second shots into the crowd (big shouts of fore), then Michael steps up and hits on down the middle and Scheffler roars "FORE" at the top of his lungs! 🤣

Overall an excellent two days with memories that will live with me forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The people bigging up JP are lads who are probably from the area who benefit indirectly/directly. It's a "well I have my fun and that's all that matters" kind of thing.

Same cult following Sean Quinn has. "he's a great employer!" they'll say....as if that makes everything ok.

Same reason the Healy Raes have the love of Kerry. The people have benefits out of it so they're not going to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I’m not from Limerick and I’ve never benefited in any way, shape or form from JP McManus but I know plenty people who have.

One lad that lives in the village close to us was caught up with the wrong crowd at home. He was mad into horses and someone put him in touch with a friend of a friend of Enda Bolgers. McManus got wind of him and organised a job for him in a racing yard down our way. The young fella is flying now because of it.

A neighbour of my sister’s was awarded a JP scholarship for medicine and is now a doctor on his way to becoming a consultant. He had the brains but not the means to get put through 3rd level. JP’s scholarship got him his start.

Our local GAA club got new sets of jerseys for two adult teams when JP gave money to every county board when Limerick won the All Ireland.

He isn’t tax dodging, he’s fully tax compliant in the state. What don’t people get here? Would his money be better served lining the pockets of a corrupt and totally inept government? No it wouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Tbf I don't think anyone is disputing that he does a lot for the community or that he's tax compliant. He could do both and still be a tax resident in Ireland thus contributing even more tax. It irks people that wealthy people have the ways and means to decide how and where they pay taxes while the rest of us do what we're told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Case in point is Michael O'Leary, who was playing in this ProAm. He pays his tax here and is very generous with his money. He doesn't curate the benevolent philanthropist persona that McManus does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭blackwhite

He is liable for Irish Income tax on any Irish-source incomes. If he doesn't have any Irish incomes then he has no Irish tax liability - if he has Irish incomes then those will be taxed in Ireland.

I'm a Chartered Accountant - I've a fairly good idea how our tax legislation works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

You just made the point above

Anyway tiger Woods and JP seem to get on well , the Liverpool lads seemed friendly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Exactly, he and his family want to and are happy to live in Ireland, so he pays his taxes and criticises the government when he doesn't like what they're doing. Others want the benefit of their families living in Ireland but want to cherry pick what to do with their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,711 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Considering how bad the Irish climate is, its probably the best of both worlds to spend 6 months in a sunny tax haven and spend the summers in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

or to be more precise...183 days in the sun and 182 days in Ireland 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I just realised the American golfers missed July 4th celebrations with their families to play this pro-am. Still can't see how JP convinced them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Convincing Tiger is probably enough to sway them 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭roverjoyce

Those giving out about LIV golf and saying this pro am is ok is an awful hypocrite

This event was sports washing at its best, splashing money at golfers and their partners to boost an image and promote a 5 star hotel sounds awfully like what Saudi Arabia are doing

Ah now, this is the most embarrassing take on it that I’ve heard and I’ve heard some serious nonsense about the pro-am.

Explain how raising money for charity can be compared, in any sort of way, to what the Saudis are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

I'm nearly embarrassed for you with that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Martin32

Well I can tell you that Niall horan comment is way off the mark . I followed him for 3 holes with my niece and he signed literally hundreds of caps and took dozens of photos. He was absolutely plagued for them by young fans. I was hugely impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Shank Williams

What was the net take for charity so? Does that get released? Because between the 10K vouchers and however the pros get looked after hard to see where the actual benefit is to charities versus mr.selective residency just dipping into his own pockets on the quiet.

a lot of cap doffers in the house here

Ok so you’ve gone from comparing JP McManus to a state that murders people on a whim to now suggesting he and the top golfers in the world are working together to scam charities? Do you actually know anything at all about the McManus family? I’ve actually heard it all now - JP and Noreen profiting off of running a charity event to raise literally millions and millions of euro?

I’m not even going to bother engaging with you again. There’s no reasoning with people who have that level of intelligence/ignorance. Unbelievable stuff.

Your confusing me with someone else this is my 1st post on the matter.

and surely asking what net benefit was versus costs is a legit question?

and I don’t see any allegation of scamming in my post- that’s some projection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

A quick Google will let you know to-date, 140 million has been raised. They were hoping to bring in 80 million with this one.

Couple with faux-outrage in here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

The best bit is people moaning about this and still going to it, just hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yeah the human rights abuses down in Limerick are shocking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Can we get back to Golf chat folks

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭roverjoyce

Very interesting to hear what the Americans opinion of JP on the No Laying Up podcast this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I listened to the whole fcuking 2 hours to find out... basically there was a short piece on Rory softening his stance on LIV golf and wanting peace talks. the NLU guys claimed he said this at the JP pro-am and changed tune as JP got in his ear in the whiskey bar late at night. And that JP himself is shady and nobody knows where he made his money (which is true and so strange that nobody questions: how did he make his money? and it wasn't on the horses). so basically insinuating that both JP and the saudi's are dirty money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

Quite right too . The amoral blood money-grabbers should be ostracised on every front.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Had the pleasure of playing Adare Manor there on Wednesday.

I've played a lot of top links courses (RCD, Portrush, Birkdale, Lytham, Hoylake etc) and have to say that purely for conditioning that Adare blows them all out of the water.

There wasn't one single blade of grass out of place. The fringes and run off areas really were a thing of beauty...you felt guilty taking a divot out of these areas. Greens were as true as any links course mentioned above.

Probably the best parkland course i'll ever play based on conditioning. As for the layout itself i didn't think there was anything spectacular from holes on the front 9 apart from 7 & 9. The first couple are nice holes too.

Back 9 is definitely the better 9 with holes 13, 15, 16 and 18 being particular highlights.

As good a parkland course as i'll ever play likely. Like i said the conditioning and the greens/fringe areas are truly world class.

I feel like the actual layout though doesn't live up to the hype and without the world class manicuring it would probably be just a good parkland and nothing special.

• Advertisement

Not news really- though you won’t see much in the papers

giving away a tiny fraction of your untaxed pile in an ostentatious manner enough to shut most people up. Very cheap for what he gets out of it

Advertisement