Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Defence spending only going up by €500m per year according to the Sunday Times

So I guess fighter jets are dead in the water.

Though I can't access full article.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not dead in the water, they were never part of the LoA2 recommendation.

There is talk of Tuesday's recommendation being a LoA2+ with some aspects of 3 being adopted, but realistically, there is a huge amount of fundamental structural reform needed in the DF before LoA3 becomes even possible to adopt. Maybe next decade stuff.

We're in the position of trying to play 50 years of catch-up in 5 to 10 years and at the moment we don't even have the personnel to meet establishment strength. You can see what the context of getting jets is against that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Its LOA2 by 2028. As expected, but 2 years earlier. Plan was LOA2 by 2030, LOA3 after that, however that is outside the lifetime of this govt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭vixdname

Well said, thats exactly what I was thinking.

Whats the point in having primary radar picking up potential threats to our airspace but then be able to do absolutely nothing to intercept said target.....we'd be looking at them crossing into our airspace, watching them fly freely overhead and be able to do absolutely nothing else bar look at one another and wonder where theyre heading to.....this would be ridiculous.....but something I believe the clowns in charge would actually do, we'd be the laughing stock yet again !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How do you eat an elephant ? One bite at a time -

Say we get primary radar ....( Just to see what's out there )

And maybe move the fixed wing of the air corp off to Shannon , ( just to free up land for housing )

And then we buy a small few pc21s ( well some of the PC 9 s were getting a bit past it anyways )

And then suddenly, in a few years , getting a squadron of grippens from our neutral mates further north isn't such a big deal...

And who knows what the security situation will be in the world in 10 years time . ( Hell , who knows what it'll be next year )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

The most important thing now is to front load as much of this in the lifetime of the Govt as possible and then to keep Sinn Féin out of Government from 2025 to 2030. They would gut this stuff at the first opportunity to start writing cheques to the feckless and the malingering.

According to the "SUBMISSION TO COMMISSION ON DEFENCE" - Air Policing Policy Options for Ireland 

If the government purchased 8 X PC9s itd cost ~ €8m pa, but 8 X FA-50 light combat interceptors come in at ~ €20m pa.

Lets face it, subsonic turbo prop a\c with zero intercept abilities versus the same quantity of Super sonic capable and intercept capable a\c, which are fitted with 90% of 4th Gen fighter sensors could seamlessly work and give meaning to our new primary radar capability, for an extra €12m pa, it is a no brainer.

What good is having primary radar if all we can do is look and "See whats out there"....but not be able to actually do anything about it if it were an aggressive incursion.

Imagine what the public reaction to that would be...."Ye spend an extra €500,000,000 pa on our defence and as soon as theres an actual threat to our sovereign airspace all ye can do is wave at it as it flies above yere heads".

Not to mention the optics of it to our EU \ UK neighbors, who are the ones currently allowed into our airspace to intercept any unknown a\c because as usual we cant do it for ourselves but go cap in hand looking for freebies.

Itd be a waste of €8m for a\c of the PC9 capabilities, or lack of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

100% agree. Them FA50's offer a fair bit of bang for yer buck though not as classy as the Saab Gripen

The Gripen is without doubt a better machine and it looks damn good too, but to keep everyone happy and to show theyre conscious of the cost to the tax payer, the FA50 would be much more palletable.

But whose to say, once the feet are under the table as it were, we may "have to" upgrade our combat a\c to a Gripen type fighter at some point !

I for one would love to see it, itd be great for us to have an air force to be proud of that can stand on its own 2 feet and provide quality over-watch to our sovereign territories, instead of always being the poor happy go lucky neighbor always looking for the cheap dig out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

You do get that that submission is basically the company producing said equipment t saying “buy our sh!t, honestly it’s the bestest/cheapest, ignore how much we make out of the deal, nothing can go wrong!”

Yes I under stand that thoroughly thanks, and the costings as outlined ie PC9 v FA50 are still the same irrespective of who writes them down.

The Costings for the NH90 seemed fine when the project started, in reality we have countries handing them back or replacing them because they never met the costings and capabilities (and it is far from alone in defence products that don't live up to the brochure costings). Fighters were never in the LoA2 suggestion box as there isn't the budget for them in a 500m increase for all the services, not too mention the usual debate on the Light Fighter.

Again, the FA50 is useless to us. Neither fish nor fowl.

Too advanced for an entry level trainer, lacking the range and toughness for north Atlantic intercepts.

Is there any point then, in your opinion, in installing primary radar ? Its fine and dandy being able to see a target but whats the point when you dont have the means to intercept it.

Looking at it isnt going to deter anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The hell with it we go for the Rafales. We can get a good deal on second hands and the french will do a good PCP payment plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

I see that the Philippines are ditching their FA50's and replacing them with Gripens (having rejected the Tejas).

Good chance of picking up a squadron second hand?

They aren't ditching the FA50s, the Gripen/F16 will be working alongside them. The final decision has not yet been made.

Its not that black and white.

A new radar system will add to the capacity of our arrangements with the UK RAF. Its not ideal, yes, but we were never going to be able to tear up that arrangement for some time yet.

Besides, land and sea based missiles and target acquisition systems that are under the control of the Irish Defence Forces will be a considerable step forward in what will be a long process to expand capacity.

Not to mention the ICBM base in Abbeyshrule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Oh Dohvolle your so out of touch the ICBM base is located at Cleggan in Galway not Abbeyshrule.

You dont think this country would waste millions on a runway and never use it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

I thought that it would have been a bit more money and a bit quicker 🫣…my expectations where too high.

Its impossible to do anything quicker. I disagree with some of the phasing outlined in the HLAP, but in terms of the DF having very little capacity to expand at the moment, the retention crisis and a clear recruitment plan to enable enhanced capabilities are an unavoidable first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Oh I know I was merely voicing my disappointment at something I thought they would have surprised us with haha

There’s also of course the fact that pretty much everyone in the West is ramping up procurement or equipment and stores post Ukraine, so if we are going shopping for anything it might be a case of get in the queue. Saw an article that suggests the Radar procurement might be kicking off sooner rather than later, be interesting to see who bids and the timescale, ideally the MRV finally gets **** ordered.

Are land and sea missiles and acquisition systems being purchased do you know ?

Or are they medium to long term aims.

They would be some kind of a deterrent up until we had a compliment of combat a\c at our disposal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

well, I can not say i am too surprised by recent announcements. At least they are getting started at the bottom and dealing with pay and conditions. looks like a radar system is about all we will get this time around. The jets are a good 10 years off by the look of things. They might get a few trainer jets craft in the meantime. Choppers could be more in people's minds at the department of defence.

Dan.

Nothing that specific has been published so far and it may be that they never publish such things for security reasons, but it seems to me that acquiring a primary military radar without an acquisition system would be daft, and maybe even difficult to do, in terms of the way these systems are sold on the market.

We do already possess the Saab RBS-70 anti-aircraft missile system, but I've heard plenty of informed chatter that this will need to be supplemented by longer range systems and better tactical radar and acquisition systems in the field. Will we have semi-autonomous permanent missile arrays sitting on mountain tops facing out to the Ocean? I really wouldn't have thought so, thats the job of QRA intercept aircraft, for safety sake as much as anything else.

As for Naval missile systems, I don't think the Government or the DF can duck the Commission assessment that Naval ships are not sufficiently protected for military taskings.

We have spoken about Mistral as a light, flexible, multi-purpose system that would be ideal and really if a mission such as EU Anti-Piracy came the Government's way, then with the proliferation of armed and booby trapped drones, you couldn't send an NS ship into theatre without even a basic defensive missile system embarked. If, or how soon? Who knows.

• Advertisement

Firstly, nobody is going to be shooting anything off the coast with long range missiles. Put it out of your head completely. It's like bringing a samurai sword to a pub because you heard it's a bit rough. Yeah you'll feel safer, but you'll also draw more unwanted attention, and if you actually had to use it, are you prepared for what may happen once you draw blood?

Amongst the many things we do need to upgrade is the 40 year old SHORAD we have. The reason being, we occasionally host International political summits, and we need to be able to secure the airspace in the immediate vicinity from asymmetric attack, either by suicide drone or hijacked aircraft. Its a doomsday scenario, but its the bare minimum expected for these events, in the absence of CAP.

Whenever we do get these Primary radar (careful with terminology) and we figure out who operates them and formulate an immediate action in the event of a "bogey" I would not be surprised to see a non-NATO EU air force (that narrows it down) asked to provide temporary Air Policing.

Let's not forget, for years the swiss were doing it 9-5, mon to fri until there was just such an incident. After which they went 24 Hr with their F18s, which may soon be replaced with F35.

As for Naval, I can see us buying something 2nd hand but modern and lean manned in the short term, as the P50s wear out, and the MRV project gets filed away with all the other good ideas that never materialised. (Puma/Super Puma, Medium Lift Heli, Light frigate, 2nd P30 class, P2000 CPVs, Mowag Eagles, Alpha Jets etc).

Advertisement